Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 16,164 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning to plan for my retirement and my husband and I will be moving somewhere within an hour of Asheville. We're working to get an overall picture of housing costs; building versus buying, modular versus stick, etc. We'd really like to see some modular homes up close and in person as we've only seen pictures up to now. Does anyone know of a model/factory/sales center somewhere within an hour or so of Waynesville/Asheville/Black Mountain that would allow us to investigate modular homes a bit more closely? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 03:02 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamh View Post
Does anyone know of a model/factory/sales center somewhere within an hour or so of Waynesville/Asheville/Black Mountain that would allow us to investigate modular homes a bit more closely?
Try JG Marcus Homes at 6080 Asheville Hwy, Hendersonville. They have a model village of Champion Homes set up. View is here:

http://bit.ly/1z0TkpU

Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindamh View Post
I'm beginning to plan for my retirement and my husband and I will be moving somewhere within an hour of Asheville. We're working to get an overall picture of housing costs; building versus buying, modular versus stick, etc. We'd really like to see some modular homes up close and in person as we've only seen pictures up to now. Does anyone know of a model/factory/sales center somewhere within an hour or so of Waynesville/Asheville/Black Mountain that would allow us to investigate modular homes a bit more closely? Thanks for any suggestions.

How are you defining modular? Built section by section? or manufactured homes on a permanent foundation? You need to own a piece of land to put up a mod or mfd. Very few sales centers have any land available. There are also a few developments in the areas that consist of 'panelized' homes, similar to mods. Very important, what is your price range for land and home? Be very careful in dealing with these 'sales centers' off the highways and stay away from Clayton Homes and Oakwood Homes.

There is a very reliable seller, been around here a long time, by the name of *AHS which is off Rt. 25 in Fletcher NC, 1/2 way between Hendersonville and Asheville. It is privately owned by the Dotson family, and their buildings are nicely finished. (*Affordable Home Solutions)

You might find that there is a very good inventory of homes throughout this area, and it would be less headache to buy a resale home. There are also some new subdivisions being built in the areas you are interested in. Get the local Sunday newspapers that have real estate sections for names and price ranges. Best wishes.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the help and suggestions. We are definitely taking our time and considering all of our options carefully. We know we've only got one chance to get this right! Your advise is much appreciated.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:40 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
we worked with adobe. very nice people and I am a big fan of the modular idea.
Choose A Plan. they work with nationwide and I LOVE their cottages Eco-Cottages

lots of people mix up modular and manufactured.
even an upscale neighborhood (ashley woods on brevard road) agreed on permitting a modular.

we ended up not building, but buying an existing home (because building over long distance did not work for us), but I love all the cool options modulars offer. quality wise they seem to beat many site built homes, since everything during the production is computerized and is happening in a bone dry environment.

you can also search for 'modular' here in cd/wnc. we discussed those homes quite a bit.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 PM

Thank you for the link to Adobe. Not only do they appear to be a good place to compare stick build to modular, but their website also offers a wealth of information. I appreciate it!

Old 04-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
we worked with adobe. very nice people and I am a big fan of the modular idea.
Choose A Plan. they work with nationwide and I LOVE their cottages Eco-Cottages

lots of people mix up modular and manufactured.
even an upscale neighborhood (ashley woods on brevard road) agreed on permitting a modular.

we ended up not building, but buying an existing home (because building over long distance did not work for us), but I love all the cool options modulars offer. quality wise they seem to beat many site built homes, since everything during the production is computerized and is happening in a bone dry environment.

you can also search for 'modular' here in cd/wnc. we discussed those homes quite a bit.

Very nice QOB, love the plans !

Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
you are welcome! we also toured the nationwide plant (somewhere in virginia). very impressing and worth the time for sure.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:05 AM

177 posts, read 123,709 times
Default Costs examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

You might find that there is a very good inventory of homes throughout this area, and it would be less headache to buy a resale home. Best wishes.
I am leasing near Weaverville after moving from another state in August. I have been searching the forum for information on modular home builders. I am interested in the WVL/Mars Hill areas. I saw someone mention that buying an existing home is less expensive than building. Today I want to ask: what are some actual examples of costs other than the cost of the lot and the base cost of a modular home. Like site preparation, driveway, well-digging, septic, having utilities run, plumbing and electrical, and anything I'm not thinking of. Assume somewhat level area, since I understand costs would be steeper (pun) on lots less level.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonnieD View Post
I am leasing near Weaverville after moving from another state in August. I have been searching the forum for information on modular home builders. I am interested in the WVL/Mars Hill areas. I saw someone mention that buying an existing home is less expensive than building. Today I want to ask: what are some actual examples of costs other than the cost of the lot and the base cost of a modular home. Like site preparation, driveway, well-digging, septic, having utilities run, plumbing and electrical, and anything I'm not thinking of. Assume somewhat level area, since I understand costs would be steeper (pun) on lots less level.

There is some 'confusion' going around about true modular homes vs. manufactured homes. Each are different as to specs -- yet both are made indoor 'plants'.

Modulars will be more expensive, although I haven't been in the market for the past 5 yrs. You would have to perform some due diligence and ask some builders I suppose. The only ones that I've had an interest in with (the mfg.) are by the name of: R-Annel. More attention to detail and nice quality.

Have you had time since August to drive around and visit the various mfd. home/modular sales offices? there are some on Rt. 25 in Fletcher to make a comparison. I don't know where there are others as I've not had to look for them.

Searching online and Googl'ing both terms (if you haven't already) should give you a good start on explanations. Best wishes in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina