Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 17,387 times

Advertisements

I have an older tv and recently bought the digital box and connected it to my antenna and tv. I only seem to get 3 channels (all UNC). Is this normal? Shouldn't there be more channels? I live right in town and I'm wondering if anyone else gets more channels. I feel like I am doing something wrong. Is there a setting that I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 AM

606 posts, read 1,977,760 times
Nope! You're doin' it right. However, before the change to digital I also got Johnson city and one of the Charlotte stations too. I would call over to Radio Shack and ask them what they think. A lot depends on where you live, cove or hollar, valley or mountain. They'll be able to tell you what your signal strength should be. They have a fancy map application.

Charter basic isn't that expensive. Just tell them you don't want digital, just a straight feed. I have no cable boxes in my house, have extended basic and pay 29.95. You may be able to get a "special" as a new customer. I know that Charter's reputation isn't all that good, but I have the bundle, lightning fast internet, plus phone and cable and have only had one real issue (7 days) in 3 years. That was when phone service was new in my area and they launched without enough support staff in Caldwell county. I demanded a credit and they gave me $45 for the week we were out. My bill was $90/mo at that time.

Knowing who to talk to and how to talk to customer service is the key. There are "codewords" that I have become familiar with that help get me the best service.

If money isn't an issue, Charter is your best option for TV.

Tracey

Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,711 times
So Tracey, just what are those code words?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 AM

606 posts, read 1,977,760 times
Best code words: Please and thank you.

Threatening to switch to satellite always gets their attention. If you want to rework your package to your advantage, ask for the retention office. They will do almost anything to keep you.

Be firm in your threat to drop cable and they'll bend over backwards to keep you. Be firm but nice. I did get hung up on once when I requested a supervisor . . . I was pleased and elated to learn that the offending employee had been fired.

ALWAYS "Agent" to get out of the recording loop. If I get an outsource (heavy accent) I hang up and call later. You'll sometimes get an outsource operator if you call after business hours or on the weekend. I learn my local technicians names and refer to them, even though the CS operator doesn't know who they are.

When the techs call to confirm my appointment, I engage them in light conversation, speak what I know about the problem, and tell them how much I appreciate them.

Remember everything you say including attitude is recorded on your account screen. Being nasty, abusive, or rude will get you nowhere fast. Every subsequent agent will see your comments and the customer service will reflect that. Since that girl was fired (I did fully report the incident) I have been treated with great respect!

Tracey

Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,568 times
Digital TV signals are more directional than the old ones (they operate on a higher frequency band), so if you are in a "shadow" of a mountain the signal will be cut off somewhat.

Plus, and this is the biggy, the digital system requires that you get a very strong almost perfect signal just for it to work. The old analog system was very "Fault Tolerant", meaning you could get a less than perfect signal ( static, ghosting, etc.) and yet still be able to see a picture. With the digital system if you start dropping many bits out of the signal, the whole thing goes to heck and you get nothing.

A better antenna might help. Getting it up higher in the air would also help. This is an outdoor antenna, right? They are directional, so you may need to point it towards the station you want to watch. A signal booster might help. Take a look at coverage maps (they are available online), you might just be out of luck as far as over the air free TV is concerned.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM

7 posts, read 17,387 times
It's actually an indoor antenna (sits on top of the tv). I live in an apt, so an outdoor one is not an option. I already have charter for internet and I cannot afford to pay for cable as well. Plus, I noticed that they would charge me an $80 fee to have the guy come and turn it on. Which is bloody ridiculous because my internet constantly goes out and I've had tech people here to fix it quite a few times. I can't believe it's that bad. I don't understand why they don't increase the signal here.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,568 times
I'm afraid that an indoor antenna will be practically useless in your area to get free over the air digital TV from any of the major networks. (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX). Sorry. Digital TV is great if you happen to live in a big city or in the flatlands, but where we are it's the pits.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
We just bought a small place in Blowing Rock, N.C. and it has two old analog T.V.s we don't want cable as we are only there twice a year. What are the best bets for an antenna and coverage of a few local stations? Not sure what type of antenna to buy. We cannot put it outdoors.

Last edited by BlowingRock; 10-23-2017 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Posted in wrong place

Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowingRock View Post
We just bought a small place in Blowing Rock, N.C. and it has two old analog T.V.s we don't want cable as we are only there twice a year. What are the best bets for an antenna and coverage of a few local stations? Not sure what type of antenna to buy. We cannot put it outdoors.
You could always try asking someone in the electronics dept at the Walmart in Boone.

If that doesn't work, call Creekside Electronics in Foscoe. They sell & install audio/entertainment systems (among other things) primarily in high end homes, but they might be able to give you some free advice over the phone.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:42 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowingRock View Post
Mohu gets great reviews and in made in NC:

Home of the #1 rated Indoor HDTV Antenna - Mohu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina