Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:12 PM

64 posts, read 266,803 times

Advertisements

I have heard asheville called the little san fransico, is this true? thinking of relocating my family to a small town around asheville but want to know what the people are like. I have an 8 yr old and 4 yr old so the influences a town has is important. Could anyone recommend any towns that are family oriented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 01:41 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,933 times
Waynesville and Weaverville are small towns near Asheville. I have a friend in Weaverville and she and her family love it.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 11,616 times
Asheville has terrible air quality..sits in bowl! Check it out on EPA site for NC.
There are many small communities around Asheville...Hendersonville and Saluda ( I lived in Saluda a long time back) deserve a look. Asheville is a New Age Mecca these days and several Healing Arts schools are in the area and plenty of acceptance for religious pref. and lots of mixed marriages with no obvious problems..lots of good food and organic resturaunts, as well.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:34 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,076 times
Asheville's very family-friendly. They're friendly, period. I love visiting that place whenever I can. Something for everyone.

Whether it's "liberal" or not wouldn't change that in the least.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:17 PM

35 posts, read 143,974 times
Asheville is indeed the San Francisco of the east. However... here is the thing. Asheville is a smallish mountain town in the south. It embraced the tourism industry in order to rebuild what was a crumbled & dead downtown & metro district. With that embrace of tourism came a welcoming of diversity. Now, you can go as little as 10-15 miles outside of town in any direction and find yourself imbedded in a rock-ribbed arch-conservative stereotypical southern rural community.

I have several relatives that live approx. 20 miles (30 minutes) north of Asheville. Every single one of them is very conservative. Most are EXTREMELY conservative. The kind that think Rush Limbaugh needs to tighten up a little. You know what I mean? All of them complain about Asheville.

Why? Well... 'They have way too many festivals & concerts in town..'

What else? 'They've opened up tons of restaurants that have all these weird kinds of food & shops that have every kind of clothes you could imagine...'

Oh, anything else? 'Yeah... you go into downtown Asheville, and there's people from all over the country that have moved here. Including yankees!...'

Hmm... so those are the reasons, eh? 'Well... there's a whole bunch of people who grew up around here and have sold off their family farms to these big rich developers, and now there's golf courses & million dollar homes & fancy neighborhoods being built everywhere...'

That's essentially the summation of what they think is 'wrong' with Asheville. Now... in my opinion, those are all reasons why I should make a point to at least visit Asheville, if not move there.

Of course, obviously, different strokes for different folks...

Personally, I think Asheville is a great place. It offers a ton of diversity, yet if you choose to remove yourself from that, you can do so VERY easily. There are sooo many positives to Asheville, I'd certainly consider it if I were you.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:39 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdnva View Post
I have several relatives that live approx. 20 miles (30 minutes) north of Asheville. Every single one of them is very conservative. Most are EXTREMELY conservative. The kind that think Rush Limbaugh needs to tighten up a little. You know what I mean? All of them complain about Asheville.

*snort* I guess they were glad to see the Honda Hoot move to Knoxville, then Honda Corp. was more circumspect about the reasons, saying a larger city was needed to accommodate all the riders, I heard (this was 1996? 1997?) that the local authorities hassled the attendees and made it untenable for the rally organizers. All for a bunch of (mostly) gray-haired Goldwingers.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:01 PM

35 posts, read 143,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
*snort* I guess they were glad to see the Honda Hoot move to Knoxville, then Honda Corp. was more circumspect about the reasons, saying a larger city was needed to accommodate all the riders, I heard (this was 1996? 1997?) that the local authorities hassled the attendees and made it untenable for the rally organizers. All for a bunch of (mostly) gray-haired Goldwingers.
LOL!

You should hear what they say about Belle Chere!

'You couldn't drag me into Asheville when that mess is going on!'

This from a group of people who wouldn't... well... let's just say that they thrive inside their 'comfort zone' and DON'T welcome any changes...

Old 10-19-2016, 02:44 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdnva View Post
Asheville is indeed the San Francisco of the east. However... here is the thing. Asheville is a smallish mountain town in the south. It embraced the tourism industry in order to rebuild what was a crumbled & dead downtown & metro district. With that embrace of tourism came a welcoming of diversity. Now, you can go as little as 10-15 miles outside of town in any direction and find yourself imbedded in a rock-ribbed arch-conservative stereotypical southern rural community.

What else? 'They've opened up tons of restaurants that have all these weird kinds of food & shops that have every kind of clothes you could imagine...'

Oh, anything else? 'Yeah... you go into downtown Asheville, and there's people from all over the country that have moved here. Including yankees!...'

Hmm... so those are the reasons, eh? 'Well... there's a whole bunch of people who grew up around here and have sold off their family farms to these big rich developers, and now there's golf courses & million dollar homes & fancy neighborhoods being built everywhere...'

That's essentially the summation of what they think is 'wrong' with Asheville. Now... in my opinion, those are all reasons why I should make a point to at least visit Asheville, if not move there.

Of course, obviously, different strokes for different folks...

Personally, I think Asheville is a great place. It offers a ton of diversity, yet if you choose to remove yourself from that, you can do so VERY easily. There are sooo many positives to Asheville, I'd certainly consider it if I were you.
that's a fair analysis let me give you a different one

1. There is little racial diversity, Charlotte and the triangle have way more people of color
2. Do you like buying magic crystals? Because asheville is into that
3. Do you like hobos? Asheville's got them!
4. Do you like no real professional class because no real professional jobs?

Asheville is very much a have and a have not city either you are a wealthy play person who can retire to or have a secondary home there or you are scraping by on waiter wages. Maybe you're luckily and you can build a good life in this environment *cough* real estate *cough*

Regarding liberals yeah you can say it's got more of a N/E liberal /West Coast Liberal Mentality. Repping the standard liberal bona fides (better wave them pride flags!) and over active town government.

So sure if this sounds like you great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had to head to the mountains I'd be thinking more greenville, chattanooga, or around boone even.

Asheville is to full of itself and sold out for me. But most of all NO JOBS

Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
that's a fair analysis let me give you a different one

1. There is little racial diversity, Charlotte and the triangle have way more people of color
2. Do you like buying magic crystals? Because asheville is into that
3. Do you like hobos? Asheville's got them!
4. Do you like no real professional class because no real professional jobs?

Asheville is very much a have and a have not city either you are a wealthy play person who can retire to or have a secondary home there or you are scraping by on waiter wages. Maybe you're luckily and you can build a good life in this environment *cough* real estate *cough*

Regarding liberals yeah you can say it's got more of a N/E liberal /West Coast Liberal Mentality. Repping the standard liberal bona fides (better wave them pride flags!) and over active town government.

So sure if this sounds like you great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had to head to the mountains I'd be thinking more greenville, chattanooga, or around boone even.

Asheville is to full of itself and sold out for me. But most of all NO JOBS
You're responding to a 9 year old post from someone who hasn't posted on this site in 6 years.

Last edited by BC1960; 10-19-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 03:25 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You're responding to a 9 year old post from someone who hasn't posted on this site in 6 years.
OMGOSH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina