Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:21 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

NC Resorts - Luxury Resort NC

If it snows anywhere, it usually snows here.

Blowing Rock would be number two, or maybe one.

Cashiers would be three or maybe one or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:27 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I guarantee the houses in that link are very upscale, as is that community...

As for MV, the OP said they wanted to see some snow/ski are: Cataloochee has that, most of the winter.
I wasn't pitching MV per se, but I appreciate your expertise...

I have been to 'Aspen/Vail' several times: there is nothing like that in western NC.
The closest to Aspen/Vail is going to be Blowing Rock and Highlands/Cashiers.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The closest to Aspen/Vail is going to be Blowing Rock and Highlands/Cashiers.
I agree. We spent some really good times here. https://www.meadowbrook-inn.com/ Imagine having cherry donuts on that deck. We did that on our anniversary which is October 10th. Everybody else was inside but we wore our coats and took our coffee and donuts outside to the deck. It was magical.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:43 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Banner Elk, Highlands, and Murphy some to mind. GREAT small getaways!

Old 02-01-2018, 01:57 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I guarantee the houses in that link are very upscale, as is that community...

As for MV, the OP said they wanted to see some snow/ski are: Cataloochee has that, most of the winter.
I wasn't pitching MV per se, but I appreciate your expertise...

I have been to 'Aspen/Vail' several times: there is nothing like that in western NC.
Very helpful information MD. Thank you.

I'm not sure why people have to pick apart other people's suggestions. The OP asked and other posters answered based on their opinions and experience. For some reason, other posters have to come in and put down the previous answers as if the people who posted them are just making things up.

Seriously, we get posters who complain because they come here and ask questions that don't get answered, but when someone tries to be helpful with information, other posters jump in to say how wrong the answers are, even though that is only THEIR opinion.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:21 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Very helpful information MD. Thank you.

I'm not sure why people have to pick apart other people's suggestions. The OP asked and other posters answered based on their opinions and experience. For some reason, other posters have to come in and put down the previous answers as if the people who posted them are just making things up.

Seriously, we get posters who complain because they come here and ask questions that don't get answered, but when someone tries to be helpful with information, other posters jump in to say how wrong the answers are, even though that is only THEIR opinion.
So one can't express their opinion on someone else's opinion? Really? I'm asking sincerely; that just seems strange to me, and greatly limits the potential for the exchange of information.

What if person A asks for a great indian restaurant, and Person B replies with the name of a chinese restaurant, but it isn't obvious from the name what kind of is served. If I know it a chinese restaurant do I just post nothing and let person A show up at the restaurant and be disappointed? Its not ok to post something telling them that its really a chinese restaurant?

Old 02-01-2018, 02:35 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
So one can't express their opinion on someone else's opinion? Really? I'm asking sincerely; that just seems strange to me, and greatly limits the potential for the exchange of information.

What if person A asks for a great indian restaurant, and Person B replies with the name of a chinese restaurant, but it isn't obvious from the name what kind of is served. If I know it a chinese restaurant do I just post nothing and let person A show up at the restaurant and be disappointed? Its not ok to post something telling them that its really a chinese restaurant?
I agree completely! A forum should be a free exchange of ideas. People are often going to have differing opinions. It's up to the OP to take these opinions and make his/her decision based on these. It is a proven fact that diversity of opinion results in higher quality decisions.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:04 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

Opinions are fine, but it seems like so many posts here are immediately jumped on and the person who posted it is basically told they are stupid. What you are referring to is apples to oranges to what I am referring to.

OP: "Nice small WNC mountain towns recommendations please"
Poster 1: "I like Boone, it's a great town"
Poster 2: "Boone isn't a small town, it has a college and too much traffic. Plus it's cold. Blowing Rock is a nice small town"
Poster 3: "Canton is great!"
Poster 4: "Yeah, but paper plant, ugh, yuck, gross. Hendersonville is much better"
Poster 5: "I love Brevard, it's a great small town"
Poster 6: "Brevard is too far from Asheville and it's hot and gross and Mills River is so much better".

All of the above hit what the OP is looking for and none of them are in VA or TN, but instead of just sharing the places that fit what the OP is looking for, they have to make sure to make a negative comment (usually making sure they show how much more they know about the area than the previous poster) about one of the previous suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina