Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 PM

68 posts, read 149,027 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife, myself and our four daughters (3-7 years old) will be driving up from Atlanta for our first visit to Western North Carolina next weekend and I'd love to get some recommendations on things to do. So far we're considering a hike in Dupont (likely to the three waterfalls or ?), a visit to the TIEC Saturday night and maybe a trip to Sliding Rock. Any other suggestions for our family? We love the nature, the outdoors and our kids love parks and animals (especially horses).

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 04:56 AM

159 posts, read 183,605 times
The forests are especially nice this time of year with many of the spring ephemerals in bloom. One of my favorite hikes is the portion of the Mountains to the Sea Trail that goes south from the circle below the Craggy Gardens picnic area just off the Blue Ridge Parkway north of Asheville. The Shining Rock and Graveyard Fields areas are also spectacular, and closer to Sliding Rock. You won't want to take more than a few trips down the rock once you experience the COLD water.

You can save the Biltmore House (expensive) for another time, although the gardens and koi pools are pretty amazing just by themselves. The Sierra Nevada brewery near the airport is fun for all ages with a large outdoor area out back as well as garden and trails. You may not have time for it but there are small companies that will rent you kayaks and deliver you to suitable put-in spots for a half-day gentle paddle down a section of the French Broad River.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:19 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyRanger View Post
Hi,
My wife, myself and our four daughters (3-7 years old) will be driving up from Atlanta for our first visit to Western North Carolina next weekend and I'd love to get some recommendations on things to do. So far we're considering a hike in Dupont (likely to the three waterfalls or ?), a visit to the TIEC Saturday night and maybe a trip to Sliding Rock. Any other suggestions for our family? We love the nature, the outdoors and our kids love parks and animals (especially horses).

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Matt

Best to check with the forest service by website or telephone; I doubt that Sliding Rock is even open. It is a unique deep swimming hole. Wait until the children are older and can swim before considering any swimming spots here, especially near waterfalls. The weather is improving (getting a bit warmer), but it is not summer yet. Not much going on until around and after Memorial Day.

Check the "DuPont State Forest" website, or the "Friends of Dupont State Forest" website for information on what is going on there. Your decision, but I would not take children 3-7 yrs. old on any trail, waterfall etc. Not meaning to scare you, just for you to be aware that there are bears coming out of their semi-hibernation here when the weather starts to warm up.

Tryon NC is the place for the kids to see horses; the TIEC equestrian center there is a good idea, and you can see several beautiful horse farms. An easy pleasant drive from Hendersonville.

Here is a good website: www.romanticasheville.com (not about romance )

Old 04-28-2018, 07:31 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The Western North Carolina Nature Center is Asheville would be a great stop for you, the kids would love it.

https://wildwnc.org/about

Old 04-28-2018, 09:27 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
If you all like pizza hit up Side Street Pizza there is no better pizza in all of Asheville.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If you all like pizza hit up Side Street Pizza there is no better pizza in all of Asheville.

Agree! best ever. Check their website though, they are not open every weekday.

Side Street Pizza and Pasta - Home

Old 04-28-2018, 03:07 PM

68 posts, read 149,027 times
Thanks so much for your replies everyone!!! Side Street Pizza sounds great, we'll be sure to stop by!

kyle19125- The Nature Center looks perfect, thanks for the suggestion!

KaleMan- Agreed regarding Biltmore. I was shocked when I say the admission price so we'll likely save that for a future trip. We'll also check our your recommended hike. I doubt we'll give Sliding Rock a try (kids aren't great swimmers yet) but thought it might be fun to watch.

QuilterChick- Good suggestion about the bears, I hadn't considered that. Are there any horse farms that you can visit or tour?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the help!
Matt

Old 04-28-2018, 03:22 PM

Hope you have a wonderful time, and that the weather cooperates. I don't know of horse farm tours, but some riding stables may let you show the children around the barn or just stand at the fence(s), and bring some apples like we used to do when we were kids. There may be security around many of them -- we didn't have that in the 'olden days'. Tryon is a very cute town, about all of Tryon is only on 'one side' of the street.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:55 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Check out the calendar at Foothills Equestrian Nature Center. They offer activities for kids. Address is Tryon, but they are right on the NC/SC state line.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM

159 posts, read 183,605 times
A nice thing about the mountains is that depending what you're looking for, spring ephemerals, rhododendron blooms or whatever, if one altitude doesn't have what you want to see, try higher or lower.

I think the trilliums should be blooming now along the Rattlesnake Lodge trail off the BRP N of Asheville. Ramps should be there but you're not supposed to pick them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina