Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:17 PM

177 posts, read 123,640 times

Advertisements

I know there is a real estate forum, but this is specific to WNC, so thought I'd try here.

Can anyone provide price ranges and types of costs for dividing a rural property? Let's say in Madison Co., and not in any city limits, although I have no specific property in mind.

Example, survey is easy to anticipate, so what price range for that? I had one once in another state on agricultural property that was $700, however it was flat and not sloped as the land is here.

Other cost types, and pricing? Deeds? Abstracts? Anything else?

Thanks,
V
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonnieD View Post
I know there is a real estate forum, but this is specific to WNC, so thought I'd try here.

Can anyone provide price ranges and types of costs for dividing a rural property? Let's say in Madison Co., and not in any city limits, although I have no specific property in mind.

Example, survey is easy to anticipate, so what price range for that? I had one once in another state on agricultural property that was $700, however it was flat and not sloped as the land is here.

Other cost types, and pricing? Deeds? Abstracts? Anything else?

Thanks,
V

Do you already own this property, or purchasing? In any event, you will need a licensed surveyor and a real estate attorney.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Do you already own this property, or purchasing? In any event, you will need a licensed surveyor and a real estate attorney.
I am looking at properties, do not own yet. Thanks for addressing other types of costs. Anyone else? Any price ranges? Just trying to get an idea before I either get more involved or give up on the idea.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I am looking at properties, do not own yet. Thanks for addressing other types of costs. Anyone else? Any price ranges? Just trying to get an idea before I either get more involved or give up on the idea.

Find a property you would like to purchase. You make the sale subject to all inspections within a certain time period. You don't want to go through surveying etc. as a potential buyer and have everything surveyed etc. w/o a contract. You may also find that the seller(s) of land already have taken the necessary steps to have the property surveyed by an engineer and will provide you with up to date information, in writing, on the sales agreement. Prior to getting into a contract on something you believe you want to buy, go to the City or Town Hall and have the clerk in the land records show you how to get the latest land records and accurate title info (doesn't cost anything to get help from the clerk) and ask for copies of you want them.

Best wishes.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Thanks QC. I would not survey as a potential buyer, am just trying to see if it is financially worthwhile to buy and split a parcel. I have no particular parcel in mind, just have seen a few on Realtor, or sales by owners.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Thanks QC. I would not survey as a potential buyer, am just trying to see if it is financially worthwhile to buy and split a parcel. I have no particular parcel in mind, just have seen a few on Realtor, or sales by owners.
You can make money this way. It's not a bad idea. I have talked to the county about a year ago regarding fees to do it before. If I remember correctly, it costs a couple hundred bucks per lot.That doesn't include surveying which can cost around $800-$1000 per lot. If you need an environmental engineer, that's where it becomes expensive. They test and show runoff of rain, etc so it doesn't cause an issue with surrounding properties. I think this would be more in condensed areas than out in the country. There are several other factors though. How many parcels will you divide it into? I think if it's three or less, it's not as much as a process as if it's more. If it's more, it becomes a subdivision and you may have to put paved roads, sidewalks, lighting, etc. Because it's rural, I know there are minimum requirements for a septic system (just under 3/4 acre), although you can get approval for a smaller lot if you can show it works. The county has told me most requests to subdivide land are a case by case basis. I suggest you call and they can inform you of all the fees.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks beckycat. I was thinking more along the lines of carving off a small piece for m'self and selling the rest rather than creating a subdivision. The subdivisions with their minimum square foot restrictions and their HOAs are part of my problem. I want to build a small home on a smaller parcel. I haven't ruled out building a couple or three small homes on a rural parcel (so I would have neighbors!). All something to consider.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks beckycat. I was thinking more along the lines of carving off a small piece for m'self and selling the rest rather than creating a subdivision. The subdivisions with their minimum square foot restrictions and their HOAs are part of my problem. I want to build a small home on a smaller parcel. I haven't ruled out building a couple or three small homes on a rural parcel (so I would have neighbors!). All something to consider.
Please don't be stubborn You still need a surveyor to tell you if (1) there is enough land to subdivide; (2) how much it will cost, subdivision legalities. Whether you own this piece of land or not. Go to your City or Town Hall and get the proper information. It is that simple.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Please don't be stubborn You still need a surveyor to tell you if (1) there is enough land to subdivide; (2) how much it will cost, subdivision legalities. Whether you own this piece of land or not. Go to your City or Town Hall and get the proper information. It is that simple.
Not being stubborn! Not right now anyway . I have read (probably on this forum or another one) it is a good idea to get a survey on any property in WNC because so often long ago parcels transferred without formal surveys. I do believe I would use the due diligence time period to talk to surveyor and clerk's office and others. I really am paying attention, sorry if you got the idea I wasn't, QC.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Not being stubborn! Not right now anyway . I have read (probably on this forum or another one) it is a good idea to get a survey on any property in WNC because so often long ago parcels transferred without formal surveys. I do believe I would use the due diligence time period to talk to surveyor and clerk's office and others. I really am paying attention, sorry if you got the idea I wasn't, QC.
That is what I posted the first time. be careful out there Vonnie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: