Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times

Advertisements

I have lived in both places and do think both meet all 5 criteria but to lesser or greater degrees. I do see pros/cons of each.

Why don't you call people in the food truck community and get their feedback? Seems like a great way to make such a huge business decision. Here is Bham:

Bellingham:
FOOD TRUCKS - Bellingham Food Trucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 10:04 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
A taste of Boone: Food truck tour - The Appalachian Online

Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The state as a whole is pretty much solid purple, despite the GOP super-majority in the legislature,
I agree. The pockets of blue that live in visually redder areas are just quieter about it.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
OP have you compared cost of living in both cities? Is that a factor to your decision? A comparison tool I use says Bellingham is 23% higher cost of living than Boone.
Only 23% higher COL? Doesn't seem like that much more expensive to me when another poster said Boulder seemed to be 3X higher than another place they were considering. In that case I would take Bellingham sight unseen based on what I've read so far.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 AM

16 posts, read 14,513 times
For those interested in a conclusion... After much deliberation, we have settled on Bellingham!

Now for finding a rental... If anyone has recommendations for local housing sources, please do let me know. We are currently stalking Craigslist with no luck so far. Looking for a pet friendly studio or 1BR/1BA at 1000$/month or less including utilities (yes, we realize this will be tough but it does seem very much possible). Ideally in a segmented home, "mother in-law", etc. rather than an apartment complex.

Thank you to all who commented here and/or DM'd me.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 AM

88 posts, read 83,161 times
It seems you made a great choice. I lived in Asheville for almost two decades and was very involved, but never really made it to Boone. Your phrase "locationally isolated" was spot on, and it looks like Bellingham is what grabbed your gut. Godspeed!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think Boone is actually less "locationally isolated" than Asheville at least as far as North Carolina is concerned. Same distance to Charlotte, but also even closer to the Triad and just an hour and half or so further to the edge of the Triangle. Asheville is a lot further from the rest of the state. This is why when NC-ers from elsewhere in the state go to the mountains, we don't go all the way to the Smokies as much. That's a LONG way from Raleigh (5-7 hrs), but Boone is just 3-3.5 hrs away, Asheville 4-4.5 hrs away.

Asheville is, of course, closer to Atlanta.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think Boone is actually less "locationally isolated" than Asheville at least as far as North Carolina is concerned. Same distance to Charlotte, but also even closer to the Triad and just an hour and half or so further to the edge of the Triangle. Asheville is a lot further from the rest of the state. This is why when NC-ers from elsewhere in the state go to the mountains, we don't go all the way to the Smokies as much. That's a LONG way from Raleigh (5-7 hrs), but Boone is just 3-3.5 hrs away, Asheville 4-4.5 hrs away.

Asheville is, of course, closer to Atlanta.
If you want to include SC, Asheville is very close to DT Greenville/Upstate (about an hour) - in fact the Upstate and Asheville are part of the same television market - I get my ABC station out of Asheville

Old 08-15-2018, 11:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Boone is considered Charlotte TV market.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 41,266 times
Remember that there are a lot of oil refineries in the Bellingham area. This presents potential environmental disasters and pollution. Although the few times I've been there I never smelled anything from a refinery, doesn't mean it's not there. Knowing this impacted my decision to move elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina