Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 11:49 AM

5,497 posts, read 6,155,002 times

Advertisements

Usually I can look to the city-data to find some, drama, humor, knowledge, or BS.

Nothing lately.

We haven't updated our hummingbird stories or pictures.

No bear, deer or "whistlepig" pictures.

Not even a gas station story or two?

For those of us trapped in the flatlands for another 2 to 4 weeks, we are resorting to our neighbor's game cams for all our "live" action.

Something must be happening up there to make us jealous.

Word at our mountain house is the trees haven't even begun to bud yet? Can that be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 12:09 PM

35,256 posts, read 31,612,831 times
My girlfriend lives between Weaverville and Marshall at about 2300'. Trust me - the leaves are fully out now and we're mowing all the time.

NC is removing all COVID restrictions on, I think, June 1. That should really help pick up activity in Asheville.

I drove the BRP three weeks ago yesterday from Asheville to Linville Falls area (where the road was closed) back to Boone. Not a ton of leaves at 4000'+, but that's likely changed now.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:56 PM

66 posts, read 59,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Usually I can look to the city-data to find some, drama, humor, knowledge, or BS.
Nothing lately. ...
I've noticed the same thing

Quote:
... We haven't updated our hummingbird stories or pictures. ...
We've seen a few hummingbirds but not like we did in Sylva ... haven't spotted any over the last 2-3 days.

Quote:
... No bear, deer or "whistlepig" pictures. ...
Our video picked up a bear on the back patio a couple of times at night but since we started bringing in the bird feeders at night - providing the squirrels and chipmunks left any - we haven't had a bear sighting.

Quote:
... Not even a gas station story or two? ...
On Saturday, out tooling around in the MX-5, the Pilot station on 209 was packed with cars backing up on 209 towards the bridge. The Shell station on the other side of I-40 was out of gas.

Quote:
... For those of us trapped in the flatlands for another 2 to 4 weeks, we are resorting to our neighbor's game cams for all our "live" action. ...
We don't have a video camera on our driveway side yet but the +1 came home from the pool one day last week and found a couple of wild turkeys lounging on top of my truck. Fortunately, they didn't leave any calling cards on it.

Quote:
... Word at our mountain house is the trees haven't even begun to bud yet? Can that be true? ...
No, things are looking good now - we're a little above 2800'. I was on the BRP last week and it was green except for a little bit near the top. Another trip up there for a photo op is due and things should be pretty well finished blooming by now, I would guess, at least here west of Asheville.

I'm not especially creative so that's the best I can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
... NC is removing all COVID restrictions on, I think, June 1 ...
Not paying much attention to the news, I was not aware of that. Thanks for the update.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:11 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,442,349 times
Well the biggest news I have is that I GOT MY GAS . I filled to the brim 3 vehicles and 2 large lawn mower gas cans too.....I got my gas and some other peoples gas too....lol

Old 05-17-2021, 01:35 PM

Our Mt house is a bit over 5000 feet, No.2 son is there and claims no buds on the trees yet, but also complains about pollen droplets sticking to his car.

LOL about the gas comment from Mr78609 (deservedly stickin' it to me).. despite my misgivings about filling up, I went by the Exxon today and there was one car using a pump. I pulled in and got 38 dollars worth in my truck. The lawnmower is just about on empty so there will be another trip with the gas can soon enough.

We don't put the h-bird feeders up here in the flatlands because we are normally in the mts during the summer. Yesterday a hummer was popping against the flowers pattern in the cushions on the porch. I felt sorry for the little bugger. But, he must be one of the dumber ones because there are feeders on both sides at the neighbors houses.

Thanks Michael , SC and Mr for helping this trapped flatlander get a taste of the mountain goings on.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:42 PM

4,801 posts, read 10,665,863 times
getatag,
Funny post!

My CEO & I have been back at our Mtn home for a couple,three weeks...v good to be home vs AfricaHot SW FL.

-Our batch of hummers showed up from afternoon one, when we rehung our feeder. Not huge numbers at any given time, but several locals coming by frequently during the day.

-Haven't had to search gas, yet: the car that slept here all winter is full, and the two we migrated north in are OK for a few more days. Anecdotally, the situ here is getting better by the day, fwiw.

-Our 20 yr old house needs some TLC/heavier stuff than I will try, but anyone even 'OK' is booked until doomsday. Add in the price of materials and I may have to do some DIY and dip into one of my pallets of gold bars.

-TheBoss and I got our first CV19 Pokes as soon as we got back, (at local Publix), and we get our 2nd poke in 10 days from now. Long story why we did not get them in FL, and I am sort of rolling the dice/slightly concerned about the 2nd poke with my immune situ induced TM. But, am going to get it.

Still lots of people wearing masks at our local groc stores/Walmart, et al, which is a bit surprising that even the multi-gen locals are still a bit wary. Not that masks are a panacea/body armor, but OK by me, either way.

-We are at 4,800 ft elevation and some species have leaves today, some have buds and the centuries old oaks and rock maples have only buds, as they don't get faked out. Coolish since we got home, but that is OK by us. And, a hard freeze and a few very low 30s mornings, but typical. Now, at May 17, the chance of add'l hard freeze are slim, in my experience.

A couple of 'new bear' on our Mtn, as least the two I have seen thus far look different to my old eyes.

-House RE assessments are considerably elevated/inflated, and will will interesting to see how Haywood County backs into their budget and the new RE tax rate. Not that the new cost is going to pinch many of us here, though it may impact the not retired people.

-Have been chasing the ball down below on our Mtn course 3 days a week, (CEO does the same but on different days so we get a 'break', lol!), and I thought I brought back a good game, but my home track here is eating me up. Oh, well...

Have taken a dozen 'good' images of sunrise/sunset from our Mtn home deck: I will toss some up today or tomorrow.

Hope you and your Fam are all well there in the tropical flatlands. C'mon 'home' to high elevation!
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 05-17-2021 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 02:13 PM

MD, Thanks for joining the fun. I really needed my dose of mountain conversation.

This is just what the Dr prescribed.

Decades ago I stopped hunting those little white "golfs" and began pedaling a bicycle. Now my back, knees and hips barely let me swing a club, and my eyes can't track the ball despite my meager drives. I finally got to the point where I can't hit them far enough to leave the fairway, and now I can't see them.

I really can't wait to get back up there. Walking here in the flats is not nearly as rewarding nor invigorating as a nice mt walk.

Neighbor's cam has shown a couple of bears, but the same ones from the last few years.

We got our shots completed last week finally. Maybe it gives us a false sense of security, but we are ready to get out regardless.

Old 05-18-2021, 04:47 AM

244 posts, read 717,209 times
Made a quick trip to Black Mountain last weekend to house hunt and everything was green and lush. I drove down via I-81 and I-26 for the 1st time and thought the final leg of the trip through Madison and north Buncombe Counties was lovely. No joy on the house prospects but I am resigned to that by now in this absurd real estate market. It was just good to be in WNC no matter how brief the trip and I envy you residents your good fortune.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
Made a quick trip to Black Mountain last weekend to house hunt and everything was green and lush. I drove down via I-81 and I-26 for the 1st time and thought the final leg of the trip through Madison and north Buncombe Counties was lovely. No joy on the house prospects but I am resigned to that by now in this absurd real estate market. It was just good to be in WNC no matter how brief the trip and I envy you residents your good fortune.

Sorry to hear about your lack of luck in finding a house, but just keep reminding yourself that nothing is forever including the dearth of houses on the market. Soon you will join the rest of us loving every minute we are in the high country.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:28 AM

66 posts, read 59,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
I don't know others' circumstances but we had been coming for > 10 years to visit the +1's daughter and grandchildren but weren't having much luck house hunting from 300 miles away as retirement crept up. We chose to move to a temporary mountain residence and house hunt from here. When she found a house she had to have, we were < 20 miles away and were able to get it, even with the sellers having multiple offers. We would have never got this place had we continued house hunting from Fayetteville. It meant moving twice but she got her 'dream' house so it worked out for us. Just a thought as one strategy to ponder.

Now for getatag, attached is a teaser of Lake Junaluska. Although I suspect you're in a different part of WNC, mountains are mountains so perhaps it will help a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is this forum so dead lately?-img_0299.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina