Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 01:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,953 times

Advertisements

Hi...only in the beginning stages of researching life care/life plan retirement communities. Have always loved western North Carolina (am in TN) and found online two life care/life plan retirement communities in/near Asheville: Givens Estates and Deerfield. I want an independent cottage or villa (no apartment) and one which looks out on beautiful scenery. With that in mind, along with of course their financial stability, their assisted living and memory care if one day needed, and reputation, which one do you favor? Am in early 60s, very good health, youthful (I like to believe!), not wild about living in a retirement community, but my family has drastically dwindled, and I have to think about my future care. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 06:01 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahJames777 View Post
...... Givens Estates and Deerfield. ......which one do you favor?
I noted several more responses on Google Maps for Givens Estates than for Deerfield. Most were positive for both. I assume you plan to visit in person.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:53 AM

I will give an edge to Givens Estates because 1. It is easy to find their prices. 2. They seem to be building cottages to order. 3. The scenery is gorgeous.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:20 AM

What happens with Medicare? Does the CCRC provide a doctor who bills Medicare? What if one has Long-Term Care Insurance? Can one drop the insurance when admitted to the CCRC?

Sorry for hijacking the OP's original question, but I am glad to find someone who is wait-listed for a CCRC.

Last edited by Lizap; 12-22-2023 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 07:48 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
What happens with Medicare? Does the CCRC provide a doctor who bills Medicare? What if one has Long-Term Care Insurance? Can one drop the insurance when admitted to the CCRC?

Sorry for hijacking the OP's original question, but I am glad to find someone who is wait-listed for a CCRC.
If you end up in skilled nursing, I would assume the doctors would bill Medicare. Not exactly sure how long-term care insurance would work. We don’t have it. My guess is it would pay for part of your care. This would be a question to ask a specific facility.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,953 times
Ty all but, what?! The wait list for Deerfield is that long? Oh, my Goodness. I'll have to find out about the resident's expense for medical care at Givens and this new one at Mills River. Ya'll are great...thanks again.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahJames777 View Post
Ty all but, what?! The wait list for Deerfield is that long? Oh, my Goodness. I'll have to find out about the resident's expense for medical care at Givens and this new one at Mills River. Ya'll are great...thanks again.
I don't know what it is now, that's what it was several years ago. It is not usual to have a long wait list.

Last edited by Lizap; 12-21-2023 at 10:24 PM..

Old 07-27-2021, 10:27 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I thought at least one of them was rather religious. Many moons ago they required a statement of faith to work there. So might want to look into that if it’s something important to you and or they require a certain denomination to live there.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I thought at least one of them was rather religious. Many moons ago they required a statement of faith to work there. So might want to look into that if it’s something important to you and or they require a certain denomination to live there.
Deerfield is affiliated with the Episcopal church, but there are people of many faiths (or non-faith) there. They do not require a statement of faith.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:20 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
HannahJames777
If you visit please post a review of what you liked and didn't like about each one. We are in the process of locating communities to consider.

I just got done researching the Ashville area on-line. The disclosure statements for these two can be found here.

https://www.ncdoi.gov/documents/cont...ties/deerfield

https://www.ncdoi.gov/documents/cont...givens-estates
They include all the cost info. I love that North Carolina has a central place to post the disclosure statements. Not all states do this.

I also checked out the employee reviews in indeed.com. Based on those I was leaning toward Deerfield.

Also Deerfield has a 5 star medicare.gov review and Givens a 4 star medicare.gov rating. These are ratings of the nursing home portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina