Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 04:54 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

73 degs F with 28% RH for our 'high' today here at our S,S,Autumn Mtn home today...

4,800 ft elevation 'above' our little town of Waynesville.

The western CDA smokes are again back in place of our usual Smoky Mtn visuals.

None to few 'house flippers' in our Mtn community or even in our area, though some of us are not fans of the STVRs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 06:04 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
73 degs F with 28% RH for our 'high' today here at our S,S,Autumn Mtn home today...

4,800 ft elevation 'above' our little town of Waynesville.

The western CDA smokes are again back in place of our usual Smoky Mtn visuals.

None to few 'house flippers' in our Mtn community or even in our area, though some of us are not fans of the STVRs..
I'm guilty as charged...I'm renting for 1 month in Brevard. How many months would I have to rent to avoid the stigma? Or, are all renters <1 yr. on the list who are not NC residents?

I'm in FLA, & I don't mind short-term renters, so long as they follow the hoa rules/laws, & try to change our area to fit their lives. I prefer Snow birds who own here or rent for several months, since they are more stable, and more easily held accountable for their actions.

I'll be on my best behavior while in this forum area...promise. Oh, & I'll spend at least $10k.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:16 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm guilty as charged...I'm renting for 1 month in Brevard. How many months would I have to rent to avoid the stigma? Or, are all renters <1 yr. on the list who are not NC residents?

I'm in FLA, & I don't mind short-term renters, so long as they follow the hoa rules/laws, & try to change our area to fit their lives. I prefer Snow birds who own here or rent for several months, since they are more stable, and more easily held accountable for their actions.

I'll be on my best behavior while in this forum area...promise. Oh, & I'll spend at least $10k.
Our HOA, considers STVRs as anything less than a month. We have by-laws that allow 30 days as the shortest term of rental. Works out pretty good, we get a nice clientele in the 2 houses that rent regularly.

You would be welcomed with open arms on our end of WNC.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:06 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Our development does not allow short-term rentals. There are natives who live here who don't care for s-t renters or even people who move here from other states. With that said, Brevard and Hendersonville have a huge amount of tourists and people who have moved in from other states. The economy would look quite different were it not for these people.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:32 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:

My end comment on my post was not directed at you, or anyone specifically...I was simply adding in an on topic comment to my high elevation temperature bragging post.

Our little Mtn top HOA community is ~ 30 houses, another half dozen undeveloped lots, all set on a circuitous loop of very narrow road(s).

Our orig HOA docs, (revised in circa 2005 ish when my CEO was prez of our HOA/community), had 'rentals' limited to a month minimum, and only one rental per quarterly period or longer rental, IE half year/all year, etc.

With only a half dozen 'covenants' in that revised set of 'docs', things were smooth, friendly and 'easy' up here.

The docs and covenants must be renewed and revised, if necessary, every several years here in NC or else those HOA docs become moot/expired. Our elected HOA board started the process a yearish ago, but choose to excise those orig rental restrictions per a 2/3rds majority vote of community rez in lieu of a more 'friendly' covenant for STVR/Airbnb type language. The community has change/evolved over the past few years with more aging out/selling to younger owners, (good), but many of the new owners are very occasional rez or simply landlords who bought a house for rental vs living in...Thus, that covenant was discarded in the new docs being written and soon to be ready for voting on and 'approval'.

I remain an 'unfan' of short term rentals, as it changes the complexion of our small mtn community: rentals are often made to people that have seldom/never driven steep, narrow single lane mtn roads, etc.
And, their weekend/week rental period is treated as a vacay with extra friends invited, driving up the windy, narrow roads, 4+ miles from town, after dinner & bevs, late noisy nights, etc.

Not a NIMBY exactly, but the change and the less restrictive rental docs item will have an effect, imo.

Unlike FL, where Chapter 719 and Chapter 720 are very empowering, 'strict' and usually enforceable legally, NC HOA 'rules' are usually toothless and have been set aside many times in NC courts, for various reasons. I am not an HOA cop, but STVRs are simply not what we needed for our little mountain top community, imo.

We are ~ 60 miles and 1 1/2 hours from Brevard; different situ here, in my experience.
Enjoy your time in western NC...70 degs on our deck, for our 'high' today.

Last edited by motordavid; 07-19-2023 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-19-2023, 12:37 PM

19 posts, read 15,144 times
I'm in Yancey County near Burnsville. My numbers may be off a little but I seem to recall there being 700 or 800 STVR's in Yancey County when we first moved here a couple of years ago. That's a crazy high number to me for a county with 19,000 people and not a ton of touristy activities. We are also still a good drive to more touristy locations. I have no idea what their occupancy rate was.

The big issue it causes is the lack of available affordable housing for local residents which also seemed to translate to a smaller pool of employees (especially service and retail). Places always seemed to be short staffed and some even adjusted hours due to lack of staff. Some of that may have been residual from Covid, but I have to think if service and retail workers can't find a place to live then it affects the labor pool. Its things like that that tends to put people off of short term rentals.

That said, I am guilty and will look for a short term rental (air bb/vrbo) before a hotel when I travel so I get the draw for them. Its finding the right balance between tourism and the local population.

Old 07-22-2023, 06:21 AM

Places that are attractive to visit, & live, (like Western NC Mountains near towns) often go through changes over time. Where there's demand, there's investors willing & able to cash in on it. Each of these areas have their own sweet spot across time.

Mostly at the high end (typically custom built $2M+) can you keep things as they are, because there are so few people who can afford to build a $2M home. The larger the homes & lots, the more control owners have to keep things as they are. There are fewer flippers at the high end.

I won't spend that much, so I wind up having to move when the desireable place I buy a home in, morphs into something else. I've found that duration to average 8 years. I get out before the decay becomes widely known.

Right now, Brevard is 32 degrees cooler, in "feel like" temp than Venice, FL, & its the closest place I can get to from FLA to get to those temps at my price point. Cashiers/Highlands is too pricey, so I'll drive a bit further to get to Brevard.

I won't be flipping, or buying this visit...just exploring for future possibilities for when my current area declines.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Places that are attractive to visit, & live, (like Western NC Mountains near towns) often go through changes over time. Where there's demand, there's investors willing & able to cash in on it. Each of these areas have their own sweet spot across time.

Mostly at the high end (typically custom built $2M+) can you keep things as they are, because there are so few people who can afford to build a $2M home. The larger the homes & lots, the more control owners have to keep things as they are. There are fewer flippers at the high end.

I won't spend that much, so I wind up having to move when the desireable place I buy a home in, morphs into something else. I've found that duration to average 8 years. I get out before the decay becomes widely known.

Right now, Brevard is 32 degrees cooler, in "feel like" temp than Venice, FL, & its the closest place I can get to from FLA to get to those temps at my price point. Cashiers/Highlands is too pricey, so I'll drive a bit further to get to Brevard.

I won't be flipping, or buying this visit...just exploring for future possibilities for when my current area declines.
The developments in the area that are going to have homes in the $2+ mill. price range are Champion Hills (Hendersonville), Kenmure (Flat Rock), and maybe Connestee Falls (Brevard - not sure if it has any in this price range or not). Champion Hills has the most restrictive short-term rental policy. I know Kenmure does allow short-term rentals and my guess is Connestee Falls does as well. On your visit, in addition to Brevard, I encourage you to check out Black Mountain, Hendersonville (especially south-southwest sides), Laurel Park, Waynesville, and Flat Rock. Each of these towns is uniquely wonderful.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The developments in the area that are going to have homes in the $2+ mill. price range are Champion Hills (Hendersonville), Kenmure (Flat Rock), and maybe Connestee Falls (Brevard - not sure if it has any in this price range or not). Champion Hills has the most restrictive short-term rental policy. I know Kenmure does allow short-term rentals and my guess is Connestee Falls does as well. On your visit, in addition to Brevard, I encourage you to check out Black Mountain, Hendersonville (especially south-southwest sides), Laurel Park, Waynesville, and Flat Rock. Each of these towns is uniquely wonderful.
I will look at most of these places you suggest. Connestee Falls is too far from Brevard, so I nixed that community. I prefer to be short biking distance (~1mi) to downtown to avoid the car parking junk.

I'm searching H'ville right now for short term rentals of 1 week to get out of this SW FLA inferno a bit earlier.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I will look at most of these places you suggest. Connestee Falls is too far from Brevard, so I nixed that community. I prefer to be short biking distance (~1mi) to downtown to avoid the car parking junk.

I'm searching H'ville right now for short term rentals of 1 week to get out of this SW FLA inferno a bit earlier.
I suggest you check out Kenmure in Flat Rock. They have some nice short-term rentals. We stayed in a couple before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina