Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 12:00 PM

30 posts, read 60,755 times

Advertisements

Wow sounds like the situation in nearby Delaware. Too many retirees moved there, not enough physicians or support systems. I’ve heard from several people who moved there, they go to either Maryland or Philadelphia for their healthcare.
If I’m priced out of Hendersonville, any other suggested towns that are similar? I’d prefer to be under an hour from my friends in Arden, and like that Hendersonville has a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 12:05 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
I’m in Asheville and going on 2 month’s waiting for a date for hip replacement surgery. I’ve let the doc know that I’m in a terrible amount of pain.

Old 06-09-2023, 12:37 PM

642 posts, read 669,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8402 View Post
Thank you in advance for your help. I’m a single 68yo retired female, priced out of the NJ area. I’m from northwest NJ where it’s mountains and farmland. I have friends in the Arden area, and they recommended my home search to start in the Fletcher/Mills River/Hendersonville areas. I do plan an extended visit in the fall to narrow the area. Btw their area is above my $$ limit.
My maximum budget is $400k and income is mainly SS. My wish list: single family home, 2-3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and nice yard for my dog which I can eventually fence in. Also, shopping nearby ie: groceries, restaurants, a Home Depot would be nice. Side note, if matters I’m politically moderate.
As mention above, I’m by myself, so a safe area with availability to meet others in my age group. I currently live in an over 55 community which is nice, but I do miss my privacy.
Thank you again
I'm a little confused. Do you want an over 55 community or prefer not? I'm also not understanding the relationship to privacy or lack of it in relation to the over 55. Can you clarify?

There are many small neighborhoods in Hendersonville that are either over 55 restricted or largely over 55 just by happenstance. They are quasi subdivisions but called neighborhoods here. The small neighborhoods that I'm referring to don't always have names or marked entrances though some do. Often they are manufactured homes on foundations (not trailers) and most that I've seen are well maintained, people have pride of place with the landscaping - not trashy. When a listing comes up it's gone quickly - I know because I've been looking for my sister-in-law who wants to move here. Many sell just by word of mouth. We have been looking under 400K for her.

I would recommend doing 2 things- 1) get a realtor, someone who has been at it here for a while and is full time (there are lots of realtors here as a second gig) and make sure it's someone you 'click' with because you need to feel they are trustworthy and working for you. Public realtor recommendations are not allowed here but if you message me I will share who we used and highly recommend. 2) If you are not on facebook, get an account and join the Hendersonville, NC group. Don't post anything yet, just read for a while and maybe search through past posts about looking for housing. Sometimes people in that group post that their neighbor or their uncle etc will be listing soon, and there have been a few nice, small homes that pop up.

Old 06-09-2023, 04:45 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’m in Asheville and going on 2 month’s waiting for a date for hip replacement surgery. I’ve let the doc know that I’m in a terrible amount of pain.
Sorry to hear this. Hope you can get scheduled soon.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:14 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Sorry to hear this. Hope you can get scheduled soon.

Thanks Lizap!

Old 06-10-2023, 05:47 AM

44 posts, read 41,505 times
For that price range it's going to be super tough finding something in a SAFE area that isn't surrounded by mobile homes. Asheville actively uses mobile home parks to re-home their homeless. It's such a complex issue for sure and I'm not pointing fingers since I have no solutions. But just be aware the instability, psych and drug issues of your neighbors will be REAL. Not to mention that this population seems to have multiple dogs and more dogs that are not always restrained.

There ARE a few mobile home communities that ARE 55 and up and those can be ok. I suspect the waiting list will be long.

Keep in mind that you are aging and you won't want a lot of stairs, a sharp incline or decline driveway and you want your master on the main. A fenced in yard is tough to find also. And if you want a garage it's like you're asking for a unicorn.

The healthcare issues are real----HCA slashed staffing even before the pandemic. So an RN who normally would have four patients to care for now has seven. We PASSED on the Asheville area and this was one of our main reasons. We had a $600K or less budget and found house hunting in the entire area to be challenging. We ended up purchasing in Travelers Rest,SC and got everything we wanted for UNDER budget. We have a nice CLEAN town and access to shops and conveniences and better healthcare.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:42 AM

30 posts, read 60,755 times
Thank you everyone for your very honest replies. It is greatly appreciated and gives me a lot to consider. I selected this area due to friends being nearby, but I also want to be happy and not have regrets with the move. Yes, with each passing year I know healthcare and living conditions rank high in priorities. I already have arthritis in my hands which is starting to limit function.
I will continue researching and expand my search area.

Old 06-10-2023, 10:36 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I do not think you are priced out of Hendersonville if you shop carefully and consider manufactured homes in a 55+ community. However, you might also look at Waynesville, about 45 minutes from Arden. However, the hospitals there seem to have the same problems.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:14 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carachel2 View Post
For that price range it's going to be super tough finding something in a SAFE area that isn't surrounded by mobile homes. Asheville actively uses mobile home parks to re-home their homeless. It's such a complex issue for sure and I'm not pointing fingers since I have no solutions. But just be aware the instability, psych and drug issues of your neighbors will be REAL. Not to mention that this population seems to have multiple dogs and more dogs that are not always restrained.

There ARE a few mobile home communities that ARE 55 and up and those can be ok. I suspect the waiting list will be long.

Keep in mind that you are aging and you won't want a lot of stairs, a sharp incline or decline driveway and you want your master on the main. A fenced in yard is tough to find also. And if you want a garage it's like you're asking for a unicorn.

The healthcare issues are real----HCA slashed staffing even before the pandemic. So an RN who normally would have four patients to care for now has seven. We PASSED on the Asheville area and this was one of our main reasons. We had a $600K or less budget and found house hunting in the entire area to be challenging. We ended up purchasing in Travelers Rest,SC and got everything we wanted for UNDER budget. We have a nice CLEAN town and access to shops and conveniences and better healthcare.
The OP is interested in the Fletcher, Mills River, and Hendersonville areas, not Asheville.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:41 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8402 View Post
Thank you in advance for your help. I’m a single 68yo retired female, priced out of the NJ area. I’m from northwest NJ where it’s mountains and farmland. I have friends in the Arden area, and they recommended my home search to start in the Fletcher/Mills River/Hendersonville areas. I do plan an extended visit in the fall to narrow the area. Btw their area is above my $$ limit.
My maximum budget is $400k and income is mainly SS. My wish list: single family home, 2-3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and nice yard for my dog which I can eventually fence in. Also, shopping nearby ie: groceries, restaurants, a Home Depot would be nice. Side note, if matters I’m politically moderate.
As mention above, I’m by myself, so a safe area with availability to meet others in my age group. I currently live in an over 55 community which is nice, but I do miss my privacy.
Thank you again
You might consider Morganton, which is an hour NE of Arden off of I-40. It's a beautiful area in the foothills with affordable homes, a reinvigorated downtown area, all of the shopping amenities/restaurants and an excellent hospital with the UNC Health-Blue Ridge Medical Center.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2&from=map-pin
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...16,12&qdm=true
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...16,12&qdm=true
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3&from=map-pin
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6&from=map-pin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina