Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2024, 03:16 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,110,297 times

Advertisements

I'm on Redfin right now. (I haven't used that site enough.) I'll check out that link to try to get an idea of that flood event.

I do wish these real estate listing sites had an elevation filter. That would help. As it is, most of the properties I'm looking at don't even have the square footage mentioned, let alone elevation. That's bog standard basic info that's pretty important.

EDITED TO ADD: Yup, that's right ON the river. I've been avoiding properties like that. I'd like to know how concerned I should, or shouldn't, be about being that close to a creek/stream though. (Like in the link in my last post.) I like that cabin a lot. Put it somewhere else and it would be on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
It was actually the Pigeon River, but it's quite shallow up higher and gets deeper once it's down in Canton. This property is on the Pigeon River in the area that washed out. Rivers can be fickle, some houses were untouched, some were completely washed away.

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Canton/938...home/111522956
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 04:21 PM

21,945 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Western NC in the next couple of months and have been researching every county and town intensively. There's very little, outside of the bugs, that I don't like! I'm at the point where I've done as much research online as a person can do apart from getting advice/warnings directly from the folks who live there. I've researched these forums too, of course, but there's not much (current) info on some of the places I'm mostly interested in. Even so, I'm open to all suggestions, advice, and warnings.

Me: Single, mid-fifties guy with no family at all, retiring early and adopting a rescue dog (and a pair of bonded cats would be great) once I settle in. I'm a major homebody who did 99% of the traveling that I care to do. I'm currently in Minneapolis, MN and hate it with a passion. I'm very conservative/traditional in my values and need to be around others with the same mindset again. I hate cities. Cities are for emergencies and Costcos. Weather-wise, I'm good with all four seasons. I live very simply. Always have. I've never owned a microwave and still cook everything from scratch. I enjoy owning only what I use on a weekly basis. I got rid of my TV permanently in the 90's and don't miss it. I don't have any social media and love getting together with friends. (I miss that. All of my friends have moved out of MN and now it's my turn.)

What I'm looking for: Rural. Peace and quiet above all else. No motorcycles, sirens, traffic, jet skis, motorboats, lake parties, etc., I want to see actual stars again, not just the same six satellites and nothing else. I miss trees the most. When I hear gunshots, I want to know they're from hunters, not thugs.

I need to be in natural surroundings again. Not reclusive, but I'm not opposed to driving 30-40 minutes to go grocery shopping. I want to live on land (minimum 2+ acres) that's wooded with a stream or creek. (A pond at most, but ponds breed mosquitoes.) I want enough room for a dog to run around, but NOT so much grass it takes hours to mow. I'd really like to buy as much food (fruit, veg, meat, milk, butter, jams, home canned goods, etc.,) as possible from small farmers, homesteaders, or mom-n-pop businesses - diners, grocery stores, hardware stores, bookstores, etc., I'm NOT a big box/chain store guy, except for Costco. I'm okay with a 2-3 hour drive to a Costco. If it's farther, I'll just make it an overnight adventure.

Places that interest me so far along with info from another website that gives all kinds of statistics (which are very possibly outdated):

Glenville - 3,612 ft elevation. Property crime can supposedly be an issue at times? Average of 82” rain. 12” snow. That does sound like a MASSIVE amount of rain, but I really like everything else about the area, including the location. (I favor the south and western areas.). I found two properties on Zillow that are real contenders. I like the proximity to Cashiers, Highlands, etc., for some shopping, but those areas seem too touristy to live in. I don't mind tourism at all, but I don't want to live in a tourist destination.

Sapphire had some nice properties but I couldn't find much information on Sapphire at all. Virtually nothing.

Hayesville - I love this area for how rural it is. I know it's not a common area (around Murphy) that most folks actually choose because of how rural and isolated it is... at least according to posts I've read on this forum. But, I don't mind that. I'd even like Brasstown if it wasn't so artsy-minded.

And I'm not overly concerned about proximity to health care, as most retirees understandably are. For me, it's all about the land (woods and streams) and the quiet. I know this area gets hot and humid because the elevation is lower (1,962 ft). (My least favorite weather, but that's what A/C is for.). Property crime was listed as higher than average in this area though. ??? When it comes to crime, I take in the information but I'm not ruled by it. 60” rain. 4” snow. I'd prefer more snow because a Must Have house feature for me is a wood burning fireplace to enjoy. I love getting snowed in but I realize that's not going to happen in North Carolina, especially this far south. (I did see a property I liked in Banner Elk, which averages 42" of snow. But, that's too much. My shoveling days are OVER!)

Little Switzerland and Spruce Pines. Mostly because it's rural. I found a couple of properties there that I like, even if it's farther east than I care to be. (And a little too close to Asheville for my liking.) It's a smaller, older community, which is fine by me. Higher elevation (nice for summer) with an average of 53” rain. 13” snow. I'm concerned about the motorcycle traffic on the Blue Ridge Parkway though. The houses I found were within a mile of it.

These are the areas where I found properties I like and, from what I've been able to learn online, I like these areas. I'm pretty much limited by what's on the property market, even though there are other towns I like, such as Green Mountain, Burnsville, and Bryson City. (As long as it can't be considered a suburb of Asheville, or Ashville-adjacent, I'm open!)

So, I'm open to questions for clarification and/or advice, warnings and suggestions. I do know what I'm getting into with rural, small town life. I was raised in one. I've never had a problem with eventually fitting in. I'm patient and understand being wary of out-of-staters. I'm very community/neighbor minded. If someone needs help, I'll be there regardless, even if they don't like me. That's how I was raised and I still live that way, even here in the big city. My biggest concern with fitting in is that I H.A.T.E. sports. I can't even pretend to like them. Sports and "artsy" are NOT for me.

Forgive my long post. I figured the more info folks had on what I'm looking for, the easier it would be to give suggestions until I can get there in person and see all of these places for myself. Thanks in advance!
My only warning is that I wouldn't go to Asheville if you are conservative.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:21 PM

Thanks, Mike. I completely agree! Actually, that was my original plan. I was looking for land to have the house built that I've always wanted. Ideally, I'd still rather do that. But, once I started thinking about it, here's why I decided against it...

NOTE: I do *not* expect anyone to understand my reasoning and it would be a massively derailed conversation to even try. But, is what it is and I doubt I'll change my mind.

Time.

That's the biggest reason. First, I would need to find the land I'd want to buy. That takes a lot more time and research. Finding the land, walking it, getting it tested/examined, permits to build, etc., This alone takes a long time.

Then I'd need time to get the land prepared to build on. Clearing, septic, electric, water, etc., That takes time.

Then I'd have to find an architect to design and draw up the plans for the house I want. It's not a standard house or floor plan. If I had to build a house, it would be an English Country Cottage made out of limestone with a massive stone, wood burning, Ingersoll fireplace. To find this architect would take time because I want authenticity so I'd want to find a British architect. When I did, designing and drawing up the plans takes a long time.

Then it's a matter of finding the materials and builders. From everything I've researched this has been DIFFICULT and time consuming! The economy, supply and supply chain issues we're faced with at this time makes this especially difficult and lengthy.

All of this takes more time than I care to devote to it at this point in my life. To be honest and blunt, my life hasn't been easy. It hasn't even been my own! My entire life, from early childhood on, has been lived in service to everyone else at the complete sacrifice of my own wants, dreams, and time. As difficult and odd as this is going to sound, I really don't know how to "live" anymore. I've never had a vacation or done anything really for myself. It took me decades to break free from that and decide that I'm going to spend the rest of my life actually living it, and choosing to be happy.

I'm almost 58. I want - I need - to get on with the business of living instead of doing more waiting. To go through the process I listed above to find a property to getting the house built, I learned that would take around two years. I'm not willing to give up two more years of my life just waiting. The new house I move to might not be the house I've always dreamed of, but it will be one I really enjoy and can just move in and start living again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good land >>>> Good house.

Houses are transitory, fixable, replaceable. Land is location, location, location.
Buy land and create the house you want.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:24 PM

That was never a consideration. Not just because I'm very traditional, but because I'd deathly allergic to cities at this point. If I never had to go to another one again, it would be like winning the lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My only warning is that I wouldn't go to Asheville if you are conservative.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:44 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,621 times
Quote:
I'm on Redfin right now. (I haven't used that site enough.) I'll check out that link to try to get an idea of that flood event.

I do wish these real estate listing sites had an elevation filter. That would help. As it is, most of the properties I'm looking at don't even have the square footage mentioned, let alone elevation. That's bog standard basic info that's pretty important.

EDITED TO ADD: Yup, that's right ON the river. I've been avoiding properties like that. I'd like to know how concerned I should, or shouldn't, be about being that close to a creek/stream though. (Like in the link in my last post.) I like that cabin a lot. Put it somewhere else and it would be on my list.
The house you are referring to in Hayesville is in an extreme flood zone according to Redfin. If I were looking for properties, well I am, but not in the same price range, I'd pass on it just for that reason. It's also just at 2000 feet elevation, so that would be another pass for me. I'd want at least 3500 feet down there near the GA line.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM

25,754 posts, read 12,840,301 times
If I bought in Western NC, I'd want to be on a mountain top with long views, not along a river/stream.

It would be nice to have a river/stream on my property as a water source and to fish for trout, but mountain top views + trout stream has got to be 7 figures.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:11 PM

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Thanks, Mike. I completely agree! Actually, that was my original plan. I was looking for land to have the house built that I've always wanted. Ideally, I'd still rather do that. But, once I started thinking about it, here's why I decided against it...

NOTE: I do *not* expect anyone to understand my reasoning and it would be a massively derailed conversation to even try. But, is what it is and I doubt I'll change my mind.

Time.

That's the biggest reason. First, I would need to find the land I'd want to buy. That takes a lot more time and research. Finding the land, walking it, getting it tested/examined, permits to build, etc., This alone takes a long time.

Then I'd need time to get the land prepared to build on. Clearing, septic, electric, water, etc., That takes time.

Then I'd have to find an architect to design and draw up the plans for the house I want. It's not a standard house or floor plan. If I had to build a house, it would be an English Country Cottage made out of limestone with a massive stone, wood burning, Ingersoll fireplace. To find this architect would take time because I want authenticity so I'd want to find a British architect. When I did, designing and drawing up the plans takes a long time.

Then it's a matter of finding the materials and builders. From everything I've researched this has been DIFFICULT and time consuming! The economy, supply and supply chain issues we're faced with at this time makes this especially difficult and lengthy.

All of this takes more time than I care to devote to it at this point in my life. To be honest and blunt, my life hasn't been easy. It hasn't even been my own! My entire life, from early childhood on, has been lived in service to everyone else at the complete sacrifice of my own wants, dreams, and time. As difficult and odd as this is going to sound, I really don't know how to "live" anymore. I've never had a vacation or done anything really for myself. It took me decades to break free from that and decide that I'm going to spend the rest of my life actually living it, and choosing to be happy.

I'm almost 58. I want - I need - to get on with the business of living instead of doing more waiting. To go through the process I listed above to find a property to getting the house built, I learned that would take around two years. I'm not willing to give up two more years of my life just waiting. The new house I move to might not be the house I've always dreamed of, but it will be one I really enjoy and can just move in and start living again.
Find the architect while you search for land. Being copacetic with the artist is as important as finding the right land.
A good architect, with history in the area, will have builder contacts who can produce the design. The builder/GC will also prep the site and handle the septic, well, etc.
There is no lack of architect-designed custom built homes in WNC.

You may even find that the architect or builder has a contact or knowledge of the perfect parcel for your build.
But, making the contacts while in process of searching for land will expedite the process in lieu of finding land, looking for an architect, and then finding a builder, etc.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:35 PM

922 posts, read 752,873 times
No offence to anyone, but I wouldn't even consider building a house right now.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:47 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
No offence to anyone, but I wouldn't even consider building a house right now.
Especially in the mountains. We were going to buy a beautiful lot that my dad owned from his estate and build on it. We talked to 4 builders and they quoted $2.75-4.50/per square foot, which is way more than it is down here in the middle of the state. We want to be mortgage free and there were some other things we would have wanted along with having the house built (generator, fence, finished basement), so we decided it was not a good time for us to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina