Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 PM

16 posts, read 56,825 times

Advertisements

We've spotted a couple of nice houses in this area, about 11 miles from Asheville. Our concern is air quality - one site gives it a 35 (1-100, with 100 being the best air). The same site gives Asheville a 45 and Marshall an 89. Can someone who lives in Fairview share their thoughts re the air quality there? JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 07:30 AM

61 posts, read 225,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay54 View Post
We've spotted a couple of nice houses in this area, about 11 miles from Asheville. Our concern is air quality - one site gives it a 35 (1-100, with 100 being the best air). The same site gives Asheville a 45 and Marshall an 89. Can someone who lives in Fairview share their thoughts re the air quality there? JM

Asheville and its surrounding areas have some of the worst air quality in the US because of coal operations in nearby states. You can do a search under 'Asheville North Carolina air quality" to learn about it.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,296 times
I live in Fairview and do not see any problem with our air quality. There has been a haze over the mountains heading into Asheville in the past few weeks but I would not consider that a Fairview issue. It is clear and beautiful at my house.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM

70 posts, read 219,567 times
Fairview is one of the great places to invest in NOW. It's still a little sleepy but it's a quick ride to almost anywhere. I know a few people investing in older homes there to prepare for renovating them and the eventual recovery in the area in around five year. Fairview is a great location.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Well I really doubt that Fairview is exempt, as the poor air quality is effecting the majority of the state, including the mountains.

It is bright and sunny at my house, but I can't see Mt. Pisgah, much less the tower on the peak, which is often quite visible.

Air quality unhealthy at high elevations | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well I really doubt that Fairview is exempt, as the poor air quality is effecting the majority of the state, including the mountains.

It is bright and sunny at my house, but I can't see Mt. Pisgah, much less the tower on the peak, which is often quite visible.

Air quality unhealthy at high elevations | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times
I am sure the studies are correct and I am not saying Fairview is perfect from an air quality standpoint but...I do not have any problems with my windows open, I exercise outside every day with out issues and I have a severely asthmatic son who doesn't seem to have anymore issues living here than he did anywhere else. So from my own, small, personal perspective, I would say it was a non issue for anyone wanting to move here.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 AM

189 posts, read 448,907 times
Just curious, does the tv weather report announce if its going to be a high ozone day? Here in Houston they will announce an "ozone alert" so the elderly and young children can stay inside, and outdoor exercise can be avoided.

It may sound silly, but I never leave the house anymore without sunscreen on my face and arms, even on cloudy days.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM

648 posts, read 2,981,137 times
That's sad. Asheville and surroundings have actually had fewer air quality alert day this year than Charlotte or Raleigh. We have less local origin pollution, but more pollution drifting over our area from other areas in the region. With a west/northwest wind we get the TVA (TN Valley Authority) power plant pollution, and with a south wind we get the leftovers from the Atlanta area.

Do asthmatics respond to different things in the air? Ozone, Fine Particulates, Pollen, ragweed, mold spores, etc.? Or am I thinking about allergies?

Lastly, we may not notice it on a day-to-day basis, but air pollution takes its toll on all of us over time.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
That's sad. Asheville and surroundings have actually had fewer air quality alert day this year than Charlotte or Raleigh. We have less local origin pollution, but more pollution drifting over our area from other areas in the region. With a west/northwest wind we get the TVA (TN Valley Authority) power plant pollution, and with a south wind we get the leftovers from the Atlanta area.

Do asthmatics respond to different things in the air? Ozone, Fine Particulates, Pollen, ragweed, mold spores, etc.? Or am I thinking about allergies?

Lastly, we may not notice it on a day-to-day basis, but air pollution takes its toll on all of us over time.
I can only speak for my asthmatic...he is affected by pollen, dust, mold, smoke, pollution and a whole host of things environmental. We all went to L.A. a few years back and he ended up in the hospital within 2 days. Same thing happened in Fla. during the late 90's when we had a lot of forest fires in the area. He also had one of his worst years ever during his freshman year at App. State. I think that was the nastiness that is a men's dorm room!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesroses View Post
Just curious, does the tv weather report announce if its going to be a high ozone day? Here in Houston they will announce an "ozone alert" so the elderly and young children can stay inside, and outdoor exercise can be avoided.
The Asheville TV station does give "air quality" reports as part of the weather report. They provide the air quality for the valleys and the peaks (above 4200 feet I believe), and are often different. The fact that peaks are often worse is an indicator that this is an imported problem from other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina