Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:27 PM

70 posts, read 93,772 times

Advertisements

I know, of course, that public transportation here in the South tends to be subpar in general, and therefore not on par with, say, NYC, DC, Boston, etc, but how reliable, compared to other cities of similar sizes in the South, is Asheville's public transit system? If I were to move there, working in the mental health/healthcare field, what is the likelihood that I would be able to get to work (wherever that may be) via a bus? I know I'd have to have a car to visit family, go to the region's nature spaces, etc, but I'm thinking mainly of any activities, up to and including employment, within the actual city of Asheville. I'm really trying to start being as environmentally friendly as possible, and as I'm planning on moving out of the Myrtle Beach area anyways within the next couple of years, my lifestyle changes include, ideally, minimal driving.

Last edited by Chadly; 05-12-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 01:01 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
It would be virtually impossible. The bus routes only run along a few major streets, so you'd have to live close to one of those to start. Plus, most routes are an hour or an hour and a half between buses, and if you're going from one side of town to another you have go downtown to the central station, and then switch to another bus.

As an example, lets say you live in west Asheville near the intersection of Patton Avenue and Haywood Road, close enough to Patton Ave. to walk to the bus stop. And lets say you work at Mission Hospital and you need to be there at 8:00 AM. The bus arrives at Patton/Haywood at 6:18 AM, gets to the downtown station at 6:27. The bus to the hospital leaves at 7:00, and gets to the hospital at 7:05. Thats an hour earlier than you need, but the next bus after that doesn't leave the transit center until 8:30, so that doesn't work either. And the next bus on Patton Avenue isn't until 7:18, and gets downtown at 7:27, so that doesn't work either. By the way, this a 20 minute drive by car.

Those are the kinds of logistical challenges you'd face, unless you were lucky and lived on the same route that went by your work, without having to switch buses.

Asheville, NC - Maps & Schedules

Edit: Actually, I need to edit my hypothetical example. One could take the 7:18 bus from Patton/Haywood, get downtown at 7:27, get on the S6 bus at 7:45 and get to the hospital at 7:58. So thats close to an hour for what could be a 20 minute drive. Thats probably about as good as it gets though. And of course that only Monday through Friday. The S6 bus doesn't stop at the hospital on Saturday, nor run at all on Sunday.

Last edited by BC1960; 05-12-2017 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 02:39 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
If the OP is in decent condition and used to riding, buy a good bike for the commute, though it won't be fun on very rainy days or the occasional real winter day...
GL, mD

Old 05-13-2017, 05:22 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly View Post
but how reliable, compared to other cities of similar sizes in the South, is Asheville's public transit system?
BC1960's spot on.

It's one of the worst places I've ever been for it. I've driven past a bus stop with someone waiting, continued down the road for another 20 minutes, went to dinner, drove back past the bus stop and the same poor person is still waiting. The only places the buses seem to go with regularity are the places you could (mostly) walk to anyway (and probably quicker).

One thing a lot of people around the area do (mainly due to them losing their licences to DUIs) is ride scooters, but it's pretty dangerous.

Also another one on the dangerous scale is some people do just walk along the side of the roads (which usually don't even have much of a shoulder). Makes you wonder how many people get hit doing that.

Maybe look into carpooling with your co-workers?

Old 05-16-2017, 09:23 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
If the OP is in decent condition and used to riding, buy a good bike for the commute, though it won't be fun on very rainy days or the occasional real winter day...
GL, mD
Good idea mD! I see a lot of buses have bicycle carriers too. So the OP can bus part of the way then ride their bicycle.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 AM

70 posts, read 93,772 times
Ha! I haven't ridden a bike since I was twelve. This is quite disappointing, as it looked online as if they had a pretty decent bus fleet. I expected there to be a long ride on the bus, as that's pretty much the norm for public transit in the south, but having such a long wait time to get picked up is disappointing.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:08 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,927 times
While I don't live in Asheville now, I did for a while and while there, I did use the bus.

Most of what the previous posters have said is true. However, I think it's absolutely do-able IF you plan your home and work locations knowing you'll be using public transit. And of course, that only works if you can afford and find a place to live along the required route(s). So with some planning, you can but it'll take some dedication. Would also help if your work schedule were flexible enough for you to arrive/leave at a reasonable time but wouldn't have a set, specific time for either.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:24 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
I'm reviving an older thread here, but wondered if there are decent taxis around Asheville, not for everyday commuting, but for getting from point A to B in inclement weather, or when carrying lots of packages and shopping bags, etc. As one gets older, driving can become more challenging and living in a place with other options is helpful.

Also, is there any kind of "senior" transportation for older residents who no longer drive, but may need to get to a doctor's appointment? Some cities have small buses or vans designated for that purpose.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm reviving an older thread here, but wondered if there are decent taxis around Asheville, not for everyday commuting, but for getting from point A to B in inclement weather, or when carrying lots of packages and shopping bags, etc. As one gets older, driving can become more challenging and living in a place with other options is helpful.

Also, is there any kind of "senior" transportation for older residents who no longer drive, but may need to get to a doctor's appointment? Some cities have small buses or vans designated for that purpose.
Uber or lyft.

As for seniors, mountain mobility.... https://www.buncombecounty.org/Gover...igibility.aspx

Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Uber or lyft.

As for seniors, mountain mobility.... https://www.buncombecounty.org/Gover...igibility.aspx
Thanks! Glad to hear that Uber and Lyft are operating in AVL. I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: