Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:54 PM

272 posts, read 787,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhk3746 View Post
The comments on here should allow you to see why you really should stay away from Asheville...and not due to the real estate market.
Care to be more specific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 PM

679 posts, read 1,464,377 times
One thing I've noticed here is that people are willing to allow their house to sit on the market forever and NOT lower the price. The supply of homes for sale in this area is very high, partially because of that.

Like Flat said, I think you can negotiate a good deal if you make an offer substantially below the asking price and then just be patient. Sooner or later, people trying to sell are going to come to the reality their house is not worth what they thought. Some will have to sell, anyway.

If Asheville's situation is like the rest of the country, there are a lot of ARMs due up for rate adjustments next year. That should create more opportunities for the potential buyer.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 AM

244 posts, read 715,636 times
The previous poster makes a powerful point that's important to remember if you are a prospective real estate buyer in western NC. When I first started investigating the purchase of land there I just couldn't understand seller behavior - it seemed irrational. I kept coming across interesting properties that were priced far higher than a "normal" market-clearing price. I figured that I'd just wait until the prices were reduced to something sensible and then I'd move on them. That very rarely happened. The price never changed regardless of how long the property sat on the market.

Up my way that's not normal - you mark it down and move it or else the property gets labeled as "shopworn" or "crazy seller" and people look elsewhere. Not in western NC - its Standard Operating Procedure. Maybe it's a leftover from the old bubble mentality where sellers figure that eventually either the market will come up to their level or some sucker will pay a premium.

In any event, either these sellers have incredible financial staying power or they simply don't care if they sell. The message sent loud and clear to prospective buyers is "unmotivated". Call it a matter of personal preference but I simply won't play that game - I just move on to something else where the sellers aren't employing the "Rope-A-Dope" strategy.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:08 AM

765 posts, read 2,571,282 times
One observation--a lot of these sellers probably are retired folks who don't need to move and can afford to sit on it until they get their price or the grim reaper calls. That said I have been watching a few houses for a couple years and prices do change. I watched one house up in Grove Park that went from ~$395K, to 380, to 370, to 350, and finally sold for about $325 after about 9 months. It was a nice older house without AC and no real upgrades but was jsut grossly overpriced at first. I guess it was a motivated seller that finally had to move--Larry

Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 7 days ago)

8,823 posts, read 21,307,313 times
Are there any over 55 places that anyone knows about?
What is Asheville like as a city?
Libraries?
Hiking paths , parks and recreation ?
Shopping , malls and restaurants?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-13-2008, 04:57 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,314,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Are there any over 55 places that anyone knows about?
What is Asheville like as a city?
Libraries?
Hiking paths , parks and recreation ?
Shopping , malls and restaurants?

Take a look at Hamburg Crossing, which is located in nearby Weaverville that is a quaint little town with a lot of history.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 PM

Homes in the $500K and above are the ones taking the worst hits. Go to $1.0M and above range

That is true of many places. No one can afford those overpriced McMansions right now.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,229,412 times
What would you rather do? Pay someone elses mortgage or pay your own? Owning a home is the greatest THING IN THE WORLD....I feel it is the American Dream...I grew up in NY my parents rented...my dream was/ is owning a home...I don't give a rat's a$$ what investments do....I OWN MY HOME.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Well, I do too. I was just saying that homes in the million dollar range are a hard sell in this market.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 PM

189 posts, read 449,310 times
With the stock market dropping 500 pts yesterday and the other gloomy financial happenings there arent going to be alot of takers for overpriced real estate anywhere.

When we were looking around outside Waynesville for lots, we found some developer selling lots 5 ac and less for around $400,000. Well he has since reduced the prices to $200,000 and still no takers. The guy hails from New England and probably bought the property a few years ago thinking he could make a killing, and now he is about to lose his shirt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina