Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 AM

69 posts, read 293,886 times

Advertisements

I've travelled all over the southeast and there werent a whole lot of area's i did like. However, for the couple days i spent in Asheville, i thought it was a really cool place. Obviously, that amount of time is not enough, so i was wondering, is this a good town to be in or near for a younger person? Is it active with a good nightlife? A big thing for me is, i live up north and the winters are brutal, im looking to get out of that shortly here but I want to take my time on picking somewhere. I'd like to be in somewhere with a mild winter at worst. I live up towards the mountains and LOVE that type of setting where its not so busy, yet not too far from an active area. Is this a place to consider? It seemed to me the folks were really nice, at least the ones i met!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 AM

32 posts, read 102,374 times
Asheville has great nightlife. There are great local and regional bands and there are plenty of music venues. Coffeehouses, taprooms and bars. A great theatre downtown that runs mostly independent movies. You can find the big chain theaters by the malls. Fantastic and abundant local restaurants along with most of the chain restaurants. People are really friendly. The job market here is tough unless you are in the service industry.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM

Hi, thanks for the response. Actually i own a business so i was curious to know if its a small business friendly area, i wouldnt mind buying a building or putting up one, didnt know if it was a tough thing to do down there or not. I know they're rather particular with that stuff but shouldnt be a problem for me i hope.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:01 PM

32 posts, read 102,374 times
Asheville is very small business friendly! Local businesses are very important in the community and they also seem to support each other.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:39 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
Asheville is what you make it. We find it to be a fun place and moved here after 9 years in the Washington DC area and 8 in the SF/Oakland bay area. There is a random sampling of most of the things in each of those areas.

As JJ said local businesses, particularly small ones, are part of the personality.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:04 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
How about for older people (retirees) ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM

124 posts, read 479,304 times
Small businesses seem to run the community but it would be good to have something unique and interesting. There are a lot of the same businesses that do the same thing and neither are very successful. Several are open for a few years then go out of business.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:03 AM

Can you give me some examples of that?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:26 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
How about for older people (retirees) ?

A lot of retirees move here. Hope you have some money

Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Why? Is it very expensive?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina