Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:39 PM

22 posts, read 112,985 times

Advertisements

I am leaving Florida - I have had enough of the heat, humidity and hurricanes...Asheville looks like its a nice place to live.....any inside info???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 07:47 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,207 times
Default what part of FL?

Today is the first day of the wonderful "H" season...can't wait. We live in S. Florida, Port St. Lucie to be exact and we are getting out of here in a few months. Can't go thru another season. I've heard some really nice things about Asheville. We are moving closer to Charlotte, outside the Hickory area. Good luck (sorry, had to vent about the hurricanes, getting more nervous by the day...we've been thru 3, Frances, Jeanne and Wilma)

Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
I live in the Asheville Metro Area. I wouldn't live in the city itself, but the surrounding areas are everything I was looking for. Your requirements may be different from mine, though.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,291 times
Headed there as soon as I can sell my house in St. Petersburg.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 PM

22 posts, read 112,985 times
I am north of Tampa - but I have to wait till my son is out of high school....hoping to make a couple of road trips up there soon though.....and really get to know the area around Asheville etc.. I love the country and four seasons but I do appreciate civilization as well LOL!!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I live in the Asheville Metro Area. I wouldn't live in the city itself, but the surrounding areas are everything I was looking for. Your requirements may be different from mine, though.
South, right? Toward Hendersonville?

It can't be my imagination; I swear that the traffic coming from the north into Asheville is getting nuts. Nothing by Charlotte or Raleigh standards, certainly, but it's getting there.

Going to visit my family in the Midwest, I have a route over the mountains that keeps me and my motorcycle off I-40 and that dangerous mountain pass near the Tennessee border. Access the Blue Ridge Parkway at Asheville, up several miles to a left turn, through some very twisty roads that come out near the Zebulon Vance birthplace, a brief spurt on I-26 to 25/70 then through Hot Springs, up to Newport and over to Middlesboro, Ky. Coming home from a visit this past week, I hit I-26 at 8 a.m. (oh, the joys of riding through those mountains at 4 a.m. ) and all I could say was "d@mn!" Rush hour, of course, but it was like a parking lot. I had to wait to merge because no one would slow or move over, and was ever so glad to get down to the next exit and hop off. Asheville is turning into a bloated metropolis. Seeing how it's situated in a very scenic part of the country, that's sad to see.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
South, right? Toward Hendersonville?
Hendersonville.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 AM

165 posts, read 884,173 times
Search for Madison, Marshall, other 'Asheville' posts...loads of info.

Good comments and some real Asheville detracters...

We are heading to Madison County, 15 or so miles NW of AV later this year...hopefully.

(dopey FL real estate market = hopefully)

Old 06-02-2007, 08:58 AM

24 posts, read 645,907 times
Check out my post on Asheville The Good the Bad and the Ugly.
Also, Asheville, Fly your freak flag.
We left S Fl due to hurricanes and insurance, and the wet heat too.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:34 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
asheville def has some freaks.... ick!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina