Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 AM

12 posts, read 42,129 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I just moved here to Boone, NC in October and after doing some searching, I have not found a group for young professionals. It is either college students OR older adults (40's up). Does anyone know of any groups for young professionals here in Boone,NC or if I started one, would anyone in their 20's and 30's be interested in being part of the group who currently are young professionals in Boone?
Thanks!
Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 07:26 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
I'm not a "young" professional, nor do I live in Boone... BUT I have a couple of suggestions. Have you contacted the Boone Chamber of Commerce? There is a local/regional Leadership program that is targeted primarily at younger professionals to introduce them to all aspects of the community (gov't, non-profit, arts, business, etc), but it's not an ongoing activity. The Chamber might be interested in helping you start a young professionals group, if there's not one. I'd also suggest volunteering on a Chamber committee or getting involved with High Country United Way or one of its funded agencies. Volunteering is a great way to meet like-minded people.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the great ideas! Yeah, I plan to do some volunteering with the humane society but want another group for some social aspects. Before I even got highered I was warned of the lack of finding people here ironically. I think a young professionals group is what this town needs. It would not be a big group at all by any means but just to have those young professionals who move here to be able to do some different activities the town has to offer as well as meet other young professionals. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,207 times
Default Young Professionals Group!

Around here we call it church! LOL

Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM

LOL...I bet! I go to Unity Church and there are not even those around here. I think I might start up a social club at ASU but want it so all can join. I'll keep it posted how it goes! :-D

Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
Most of the community civic clubs (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.) will have a broad age range, not just older folks. Don't rule them out either.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Yeah, I didn't see much for what I am looking for which is more of a rock climbing, hiking, snowboarding, games, etc. I even contacted the recreation center for leagues but nothing. Thanks for the advice though! :-)

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,332 times
Default Young Professionals in Boone

Hi Workingout, Welcome to our corner of Heaven. I think you may find like minded folks that enjoy the outdoors at some places like ClimbBooneNC.com, Chargers & Rechargers Hiking Club and even places like Footsloggers may have information about groups that do outdoor things. We use to have a young professional that rented from us that was big in rock climbing and even hiked the App Trail. The Whitewater centers may know of groups also. I would think that Appalachian University may have something where young professionals meet. This is just some ideas where you may meet young folks like yourself. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingoutfaith View Post
Hi,
I just moved here to Boone, NC in October and after doing some searching, I have not found a group for young professionals. It is either college students OR older adults (40's up). Does anyone know of any groups for young professionals here in Boone,NC or if I started one, would anyone in their 20's and 30's be interested in being part of the group who currently are young professionals in Boone?
Thanks!
Jess
I would suggest you look around for a local Jaycee chapter. When I moved to Richmond, Va several years ago I didn't know anyone. Someone suggested the Jaycees. So I went to a few social meetings and really enjoyed it. We did a lot of good community service projects and we had some really fun social activities (house parties, rafting/tubing trips, the local steeple chase event and lots of dinner/social meetings)

Their motto back then was "leadership development through community service"

Try this site to locate an area near you.
Local Chapters | North Carolina Jaycees (http://www.ncjaycees.org/node/8 - broken link)

Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info! I did look for Jaycee chapter but the closest one is Hickory which is an hour drive.

Catbirds = I did check the Chargers and Rechargers and it might be something but I would rather have one club that does various things instead of having to join 5, ya know? Plus I am 26 and it seemed like the group was older. Not that anything is wrong with that, they probably out do me, it is just i am trying to find some thing to do with people my age or even a variety of ages. I still might do the hiking club though on top of another one!
I searched for Young Professionals but closest one was Charlotte. I even contacted them to see if we could start a branch here and they said they are not adding anyone to their website right now. I have a meeting tomorrow here at ASU to start up a social club again so I will let ya know how that goes. They use to have one but I was told the resources were no longer there so it died out. I just might bring that back again and go from there. A lot of the international faculty and staff would enjoy something like that as well as new staff and faculty.
Thanks again for all the great advice and ideas! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina