Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times

Advertisements

I moved somewhere and invested in the area (volunteer work, restoring a very old house) and I found what looks SOOO bucolic on the surface is actually even MORE WONDERFUL under the surface!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I'm sorry I see this is an older thread but I just have to comment.
I don't know if Painted Lady every followed her dream to WNC but I hope so. . That said I can't believe the rudness shown to her from a few posters.

Right now I live in Florida and believe me we see people from everywhere. And Anifan, if you moved in next door I would welcome you WARMLY and treat you nice regardless of where you came from.

I find it amazing that there are some that try to FREEZE people out of their area. Usually they are unhappy people who don't do well with change. But the most ironic part is that they are usually people who rely on tourists, people with second homes etc for their livelyhood.

I remember once my friends and I went to an icecream stand outside of Brevard NC. The (obviously) local people who owned the store were so incredibly rude to us when they found out were were from Fla. We promptly walked across the street and purchased ice cream from their competition.
You are sadly mistaken if you are directing your post to me. I am not trying to "freeze" anyone out of the area at all! I am simply explaining some of the situations that I have seen occur over decades of observation.

I love the mountains and have friends who are not only locals but also who have moved to the area. Doing volunteer work, for ex., is a great way to meet others. Also, having your own business is another way to get integrated into the community. Folks are very welcoming if people move to most communities and demonstrate that they are interested in putting something back into the community. It is the whiners and complainers and part-time residents who descend on the area and create bad feelings who basically have turned off long-time residents.

I daresay this would be true in any small community anywhere. It is simply more pronounced as being a phenomena associated with Floridians b/c a big portion of the part-time residents (especially in years past) have been Floridians with a lot of money and a lot of arrogance towards the "locals." Anyone with half a brain would know that not EVERYONE from any area are arses, but sadly, people who ARE jerks have left a very definite negative impression. To not point that out to someone considering moving to the region is disingenuous. People can quickly ascertain that folks are good people looking for a good life by how they interact with others over a period of time. LITTLELORI is a good example of that. They moved into the community desiring to be part of the community and to give something positive back to the area. They have had a great experience and others are doubtless very happy that they moved to Banner Elk.

Prices have tanked all over the USA in most communities and western NC prices have also come down. Now is a great time to consider buying property in western NC if one is inclined to do that. I am not trying to discourage anyone from coming to this region - just want them to be realistic about their expectations. As long as one has done the research, then that person should have a clear understanding about what is possible and what isn't - from cost of living, to school quality, to wintertime challenges, to entertainment.

I love the high country and hope others who move there will love it equally as much.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Hi Anifan, I was really not directing my post to anyone. I especially enjoy Livelovelaugh's post and mind set and joyous attitude. This was a long thread so it was to anyone who seemed to be saying painted lady should not move to WNC!

And let me tell you i HATE noise pollution, I really do. And I REALLY do not like loud motorcycles. BUT, that said Painted Lady seemed to have a lot of layers and a lot more to her than just a noisy bike! She seemed like an independent, fun, pioneer type who happened to like to ride a bike. I happen to LoVE to ride but mine does not have a loud motor, or any motor at all as I am an avid cyclist!

But anifan, you did state: The only way a transplant (especially from Florida) is gonna make it in most mountain communities is off to themselves w/ a lot of other transplants.

I have read some of your posts and you seem nice and friendly, and reasonable. And provide good info. But to me this statement is less than friendly and is judgemental. Like I said, I have lived all over, Vermont, Fl, Va, etc. I moved to a small Vermont village and let me tell you it was not long until I was considered a "local." And when I moved to WNC I can assure you I will "fit it." and not with just transplants. I already have a circle of outdoorsy/athletic people who live there, some were born in WNC, and some are the dreaded transplants. I embrace the mountain lifestyle, the ecology, protect the land, nataure, and love animals. I also can live and let live. I can plug my ears to the loud pipes and ignore something I don't appreciate.

Oh, and Anifan, you say there are some transplants (from Florida) that are arrogant and jerks etc. Well, there are certainly locals that this description applies to big time!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hi Anifan, I was really not directing my post to anyone. I especially enjoy Livelovelaugh's post and mind set and joyous attitude. This was a long thread so it was to anyone who seemed to be saying painted lady should not move to WNC!

And let me tell you i HATE noise pollution, I really do. And I REALLY do not like loud motorcycles. BUT, that said Painted Lady seemed to have a lot of layers and a lot more to her than just a noisy bike! She seemed like an independent, fun, pioneer type who happened to like to ride a bike. I happen to LoVE to ride but mine does not have a loud motor, or any motor at all as I am an avid cyclist!

But anifan, you did state: The only way a transplant (especially from Florida) is gonna make it in most mountain communities is off to themselves w/ a lot of other transplants.

I have read some of your posts and you seem nice and friendly, and reasonable. And provide good info. But to me this statement is less than friendly and is judgemental. Like I said, I have lived all over, Vermont, Fl, Va, etc. I moved to a small Vermont village and let me tell you it was not long until I was considered a "local." And when I moved to WNC I can assure you I will "fit it." and not with just transplants. I already have a circle of outdoorsy/athletic people who live there, some were born in WNC, and some are the dreaded transplants. I embrace the mountain lifestyle, the ecology, protect the land, nataure, and love animals. I also can live and let live. I can plug my ears to the loud pipes and ignore something I don't appreciate.

Oh, and Anifan, you say there are some transplants (from Florida) that are arrogant and jerks etc. Well, there are certainly locals that this description applies to big time!
I have a small house in a gated community near Boone. The neighbors who are impossible and complain about every little thing are all from Florida. Actually, they are all from NY and NJ by way of Florida.

Of course, not everyone from Florida (or NY or NJ, for that matter) are jerks.

But it is a fact that the hateful whiners WHERE I HAVE PROPERTY all have addresses in Florida. Now, you can take that for what it is worth! They are typically elderly (well, not all are elderly - let's say over 65) and have tons of money and are mean-spirited, condescending and whiners.

Here are some of the complaints I have gotten over the last year or so:

1. my son put a hammock up (hand made in Honduras) and the old bat (from Florida) up the hill made an official complaint b/c she said the hammock was visual pollution. You can't see it from the street.

2. the Floridian (by way of NYC) across the street made an official complaint b/c my son left a gas can at the top of our driveway one morning.

3. that same hateful old dude made a complaint 2 weeks ago b/c we moved our garbage can closer to the road for pick up in an attempt to get it away from the house, as raccoons were coming up to the house and tearing into the garbage at night. We had tried all sorts of ways to keep the raccoons out of the garbage, including using bungee cords around the can to hold the lid on; putting large rocks on the can's lid; spraying ammonia and putting ammonia rags around the cans at nite; leaving the porch lights on all nite, etc. So we finally decided pulling it down the driveway (out in the open) near the street might help (it did).

But that "disturbed" the uptight arse across the street, even tho the garbage can was still on our property and not right on the street.

4. Property management cited us for making repairs to our deck on a Saturday b/c the hateful biddy up the hill said we were breaking bylaws by having a contractor do work on a weekend. Uh, that was my hubby replacing a few boards. The small amount of sawing and hammering could not begin to compare to how annoying that very woman's dog barking incessantly all hours of the night can be, and we surely have never complained about that.

5. Same hateful biddy dug up plants from our yard and replanted them in her yard. When confronted about it, she said they would be better cared for in her garden. HUH?

6. Another whiner down the road (Floridian) made an official complaint that we were not cleaning up our property after trees fell during a storm. Got a citation from the board threatening legal action. As we would have explained to the neighbor had they bothered to inform us about their concern over the damaged trees, that was not even ON OUR PROPERTY, something that evidently the other dummies on the HOA board didn't even bother to check out b/f threatening legal action.

I could go on and on. Maybe these folks don't qualify as crappy neighbors to you, but they sure as heck do to me (and plenty of others who own property where I do).

Last edited by brokensky; 06-24-2010 at 09:40 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Oh my, I would NOT like those people either. I found my blood boiling just reading your story. So now I see your point of view. lol!

Oh, BTW I am definitely not form New York or NJ and definitely not rich, nor elderly. Thanks again for sharing your info!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
You know, sometimes it's best to just let sleeping threads lie .....

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
You know, sometimes it's best to just let sleeping threads lie .....
So true. . . I tend to not do that. Slow learner.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Well, old or not . . . there IS some good info. However, I think in the time since this was first posted, prices have come down in most areas and it would be possible to find something less expensive now than it was even a year ago.

And that really is at the crux of what most of this thread has been about - finding something that is reasonably priced and perhaps a bit off the beaten track. Also, I think the point has been well made that when you move somewhere, if you give back to the community, people will nearly always respond with kindness and appreciation. If you are considerate, in most instances (I own property in an atypical situation) people will be more than willing to help newcomers get settled and enjoy living in western NC.

It really is a terrific area!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 PM

87 posts, read 255,640 times
This was a fascinating thread. Thanks to all who posted..............

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM

440 posts, read 1,092,698 times
Quote:
I don't know if Painted Lady every followed her dream to WNC but I hope so. . That said I can't believe the rudness shown to her from a few posters.

Right now I live in Florida and believe me we see people from everywhere. And Anifan, if you moved in next door I would welcome you WARMLY and treat you nice regardless of where you came from.

I find it amazing that there are some that try to FREEZE people out of their area. Usually they are unhappy people who don't do well with change. But the most ironic part is that they are usually people who rely on tourists, people with second homes etc for their livelyhood.

I remember once my friends and I went to an icecream stand outside of Brevard NC. The (obviously) local people who owned the store were so incredibly rude to us when they found out were were from Fla. We promptly walked across the street and purchased ice cream from their competition.
Thanks for having my back *S* We are still looking and researching areas. Waiting on the buy-out of our property. We are in limbo until they send out the appraiser, complete the appraisal (this should be any time) and finally present an offer. God willing it will be enough that we can go. Presently we are still looking at WNC. Somewhere outside of Waynesville. Now we are open to E. Tn. too. We'll see............ God has a plan and is working feverishly behind the scenes. Donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina