Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,817 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are going to Asheville for Valentine's Day this weekend. I have never been there and he doesn't know much about the area. Do you have any recommendations for things to see and do? A good (but not wildly expensive) restaurant for Saturday night? We're planning to go hiking during the day Saturday, so what are some good day-hike trails? Is there anything special, but not too expensive, going on for Valentine's weekend that we should check out? We'll be driving there Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon/night.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
See the post below by NCDREAMING, a lot of replies on a weekend in Asheville. I'll have to let someone else comment on the hiking part, becuz most of the trails we used to enjoy are pretty far out of town.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
good luck getting reservations at a nice place if you dont have them yet. Its 2 days away. I would def make sure you have a place before you drive.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
wow .. didnt mean that to sound rude.. just gonna be tough this close. if you have never been here check out the blue ridge parkway, good hiking very easily accessible from town.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM

187 posts, read 1,023,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redaxelrod View Post
A good (but not wildly expensive) restaurant for Saturday night? We're planning to go hiking during the day Saturday, so what are some good day-hike trails?
I would definitely look at the Laurel Creek Trail out in Madison County. If the weather is nice, it is without a doubt one of the nicest hikes in the area. Take Route 19/23 heading north out of Asheville, and then take exit 19 heading towards Marshall on Route 25 North. You'll drive approximately 25 miles like you are heading towards Hot Springs. Right before you make the left off 25N for Hot Springs, there is a long gravel parking lot on the left hand side. If you end up making the left off 25N heading towards Hot Springs (at the coffee shop), you went 100 yards too far. Turn around, park at the lot, and head to the top of the parking lot where the trail head is. This trail follows the Laurel Creek for about 7 miles before it dumps in to the French Broad River. Great waterfalls and scenery the whole way. It's not a loop, but the views are great in both directions. If you do the whole thing, it's probably a nice 3 hour walk. Bring a picnic lunch and sit on the rocks along the water.

As for dinner that night, if you like Indian food I would hit Mela on Lexington Avenue in downtown Asheville. They don't typically take reservations on Valentine's Day, so you are at least in the same boat as everyone else. If you plan on a late dinner (8:30 or 9:00), your wait shouldn't be long. It's worth the wait anyways...

Good luck - if that doesn't get you some action, nothing will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina