Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 AM

108 posts, read 383,909 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Do any of you have some recommended routes between here and New England? All the trip planners steer one to Route 81, and since I am not driving a truck, and I don't care to be run over by a truck (again), I really want to avoid 81. Alternatives are appreciated... TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,774 times
Unless you want to take several days for siteseeing to get there take I81 to I26 to Asheville. Whatever you do avoid I95. You could come down old US11 through the Shenandoah Valley or even pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway near Front Royal VA but be prepared for doing it at 25-30 MPH.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenzx2 View Post
Hi All,
Do any of you have some recommended routes between here and New England? All the trip planners steer one to Route 81, and since I am not driving a truck, and I don't care to be run over by a truck (again), I really want to avoid 81. Alternatives are appreciated... TIA!
I95 is the REAL truck route, not I81. I find I81 a pleasure to drive until you get right where Maryland, WVA and PA kind of start coming together.

I advise getting yourself to Front Royal, VA and then picking up Skyline Dr. You can ride it all thru the Shenandoah Valley until it becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway and take that almost all the way to Asheville (there is currently a closure just north of Asheville). It is a very pleasant, BUT LONG, drive. Speed limit is only 45 mph, but you might just love it - NO TRUCKS or commercial vehicles.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:50 PM

One reason that I81 DOES have a lot of truck traffic is the inland port facility located between Winchester and Front Royal, VA. This is where intermodal traffic is unloaded from Norfolk Southern trains and onto trucks with direct access to I81. They go north and south on I81 from there.

As for doing 45 on the parkway that may be true in brief spurts but most folks on there are touristas gawking at the scenery. And heaven forbid a deer or bear should pop up--then everything comes to a standstill. If you decide on using that route make sure to do the drive mid-week and get it done before Memorial Day.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
One reason that I81 DOES have a lot of truck traffic is the inland port facility located between Winchester and Front Royal, VA. This is where intermodal traffic is unloaded from Norfolk Southern trains and onto trucks with direct access to I81. They go north and south on I81 from there.

As for doing 45 on the parkway that may be true in brief spurts but most folks on there are touristas gawking at the scenery. And heaven forbid a deer or bear should pop up--then everything comes to a standstill. If you decide on using that route make sure to do the drive mid-week and get it done before Memorial Day.
Cofga, you can travel 45 mph easily on the vast majority of the Parkway - I do it on a very regular basis.

I'm sure there are those slowdowns for wildlife in some parts of the Shenandoah National Park, but there are hundreds of miles where you'll often only see a couple of other cars - except of course IN Asheville itself where too many locals use it to avoid other roads. (One disclaimer, the 3rd week or so of October when it's peak leaf watching - you will have company on the road then for sure).

Old 04-30-2009, 03:15 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,868 times
A possible alternative to both I-81 and I-95 would be to take U.S. 29 through Virginia. There are several portions of it that are freeway around the towns of Culpeper, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Altavista, Gretna, Chatham, and most of the way from Danville to Greensboro. I think most of the rest is also four-lanes and sometimes divided, but not freeway. It may take a little longer, but it's a pretty good alternative to both.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Rt29 isn't too bad but you'll have to got through the congested DC/NVa area. Also once you get to NC it really is a mess and you'll still have to navigate the triangle or Winston-Salem area and head west on I40. Any of these (Parkway, Rt11, Rt29) offer a slow route alternative but I'd still bite the bullet and head down I80--I'm doing it next Sat. myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina