Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 AM

31 posts, read 138,823 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So I'm finishing up my masters degree in psychiatric nursing in a few months and I'm looking for jobs in North Carolina, I've found a few possibilities in/around Asheville and while I've been looking seriously into actually moving to and working in Asheville, I also wanted to hear some more options concerning smaller towns nearby.

I'm looking for someplace with a nice, vibrant downtown (doesn't have to be big at all) but I'm a bit of an outdoorsy gal too and so I'd also really love a place that is just beautiful with a great natural setting (hence the desire to move to western NC, gorgeous).

I've got one little girl, not yet school aged, but when the time comes for school having some good schooling options for her would also be very important! And commuting is not really a huge issue, I'd be willing to drive up to 45 minutes to Asheville for work if I found the right town!

Anything you can give me I would love! And if you had pictures I'd love it even more! I can't actually get down there until August, and I'd like to have some ideas before I show up. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz3335 View Post
Hi guys,

So I'm finishing up my masters degree in psychiatric nursing in a few months and I'm looking for jobs in North Carolina, I've found a few possibilities in/around Asheville and while I've been looking seriously into actually moving to and working in Asheville, I also wanted to hear some more options concerning smaller towns nearby.

I'm looking for someplace with a nice, vibrant downtown (doesn't have to be big at all) but I'm a bit of an outdoorsy gal too and so I'd also really love a place that is just beautiful with a great natural setting (hence the desire to move to western NC, gorgeous).

I've got one little girl, not yet school aged, but when the time comes for school having some good schooling options for her would also be very important! And commuting is not really a huge issue, I'd be willing to drive up to 45 minutes to Asheville for work if I found the right town!

Anything you can give me I would love! And if you had pictures I'd love it even more! I can't actually get down there until August, and I'd like to have some ideas before I show up. Thanks!

There are several great small towns in western NC, so picking just one is hard Some of the best are: Brevard, Mars Hill and Murphy. I'll try to dig some pictures up for you later today.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:57 PM

I found a few pics from Mars Hill for you - can't seem to locate the others I've taken from Brevard, sorry!

Mars Hill

Entrance to the college:

love the old stone buildings:

surrounding countryside:

Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
lovesMountains - those are beautiful pix of Mars Hill - in the three years that we had a vacation place in Asheville, I never got to see many of the surrounding towns. I still like to read this forum, as I miss the Asheville area, but it wasn't possible to maintain a second home (however humble it was) in this economy.

If we should ever have extra $$$ to have a little spot somewhere again, I think I would rather have it in one of the smaller surrounding towns. Black Mountain has always been a favorite of mine, but I have heard great things about Brevard also, and discovered there are some nice pix on this city-data site. It's the home of those cute white squirrels! And having the college there gives it an added plus. I had some friends who hoped to move to Brevard, but we moved away so I don't know if they ever did.

Anyway, keep posting the lovely pix, I so enjoy seeing them!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 PM

thank you so much for the pictures! my gosh it really is a beautiful place. i hadn't actually found mars hill in all my research attempts but now i'll definitely put it on my short list of places to go and i had heard a little bit about black mountain and brevard (good things). how are the schooling options in these areas? and how far are they from asheville (roughly)? i also had a friend recently tell me about waynesville, does anyone know first hand about it? i've read a few things, but i always prefer to hear information from actual human beings.

thanks again!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
thank you so much for the pictures! my gosh it really is a beautiful place. i hadn't actually found mars hill in all my research attempts but now i'll definitely put it on my short list of places to go and i had heard a little bit about black mountain and brevard (good things). how are the schooling options in these areas? and how far are they from asheville (roughly)? i also had a friend recently tell me about waynesville, does anyone know first hand about it? i've read a few things, but i always prefer to hear information from actual human beings.

thanks again!
Glad to help Both Black Mountain and Mars Hill are very easy drives of about 20 minutes into Asheville and both are just great little towns whose schools have good reputations - glad you've put them both on your short list!

Waynesville is larger than the others, and more of a tourist area in the summer and fall. There are many vacation rental homes in the area. I like it, but just prefer the others since they are more quaint. Also, Waynesville is closer to 40 minutes from Asheville.

Found these links that might interest you:

http://www.townofmarshill.org/

http://www.blackmountain.org/

Last edited by lovesMountains; 05-22-2009 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 AM

375 posts, read 912,588 times
Loves Mountains, you have the best pics there of Mars Hill - I went through there last summer and the vibe was SO welcoming and mellow! Def. on my list of towns I love in WNC!!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Loves Mountains, you have the best pics there of Mars Hill - I went through there last summer and the vibe was SO welcoming and mellow! Def. on my list of towns I love in WNC!!
Thanks Rachael, it IS a beautiful area!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 PM

You guys have been great in giving me some possible places to look into and I am so thankful for your help! And the pictures have been incredible, makes me want to head out there gith now! Now I still have one or two questions about some other towns I've heard of in the relative vicinity so here I go, does anyone know anything about either Sylva or Cullowhee? I had a friend back in college who came from Cullowhee and she LOVED it, thought it was heaven on Earth, now was that just heror is it really that great? She also mentioned Sylva once or twice in passing (if my memory is correct), but didn't say much of anything else...thanks again guys, you really are, hands down, the best group of north carolina informants ever!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You guys have been great in giving me some possible places to look into and I am so thankful for your help! And the pictures have been incredible, makes me want to head out there gith now! Now I still have one or two questions about some other towns I've heard of in the relative vicinity so here I go, does anyone know anything about either Sylva or Cullowhee? I had a friend back in college who came from Cullowhee and she LOVED it, thought it was heaven on Earth, now was that just heror is it really that great? She also mentioned Sylva once or twice in passing (if my memory is correct), but didn't say much of anything else...thanks again guys, you really are, hands down, the best group of north carolina informants ever!
I love your enthusiasm

Cullowhee is home to Western Carolina University - a great little college. The area is very scenic and friendly. HOWEVER, it is a lot less convenient for getting to Asheville. It would be a hour +, the first 30 minutes on a two laned road until you get to Waynesville. So if you are thinking of living there and working in Asheville, with a small child back at home, I'm not thinking that would work for you. Sylva is a little bigger than Mars Hill, but similar with a cute downtown too. It is near a nice tourist destination, Bryson City. The ride back to Asheville would be not quite an hour, so I'm thinking again, it's a bit far for you. But do check them both out if going back to Asheville is not something you have to do every day - there are wonderful people in both areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina