Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:32 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,546,703 times

Advertisements

I know this will spark heated emotions but is something we cannot ignore... from the latest Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation newsletter...

New Law Will Allow Loaded Guns on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Feb 2010

The new law comes as a bitter disappointment to parks, gun control and law enforcement groups that had pushed Congress to oppose the amendment, which they say will decrease visitor safety and increase poaching. But a majority of Congress and the National Rifle Association hailed it as a victory for Second Amendment rights.

Additional story in the Asheville Citizen-Times ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 AM

21 posts, read 59,859 times
Concealed weapons are not likely to be used for poaching nor do I see them as a particular threat. Licensed hand gun owners with a concealed weapons permits are highly unlikely to commit crimes, in my opinion, so what is the objection? I just don't see concealed weapons as a solution to violence on the trails in our national forests, etc. which was a major reason given by local forum posters who supported this law. If I felt a need to protect myself while on hiking trails I would far more likely to choose a 12 GA shotgun. Whatever the case, if I was packing a pistol I would not hide it. It's far more useful as a deterrent if it can be seen in plain view.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM

765 posts, read 2,571,380 times
I personally don't agree with this but it really will be a limited impact change. First you must have a concealed carry permit issued by the state in which you reside and I'm not sure about reciprocity among states so don't bet on being able to carry your concealed gun into parks in other states. Permits are expensive to obtain and in most states require attending training classes. I would be more concerned about the yokels that carry guns into parks and don't have a concealed carry permit--they're the ones who are more likely to create problems.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Wandered about in forests around this country for years and never encountered any problems though I was once warned about "yokels" as you call them, out in Arizona in their White Mountain region. Biggest danger may be from pot growers in the SE but not if you stay on marked trails.

As for the murders that occurred around these parts, the people involved met in or near trail heads and I suspect the victims were taken by surprise. For my money the woods are safer than many downtowns at night, especially if you know your away around them and abide by the rules.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,883,461 times
Well let's look at a few facts. More and more states are allowing law abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons. The crime rate has fallen in virtually every state in which these laws have been enacted. CCW permit owners are among the most law abiding people. Their arrest records are almost nil. If CCW permit owners are not causing any problems out and about in our cities and towns, why would they cause problems in our parks? No one is saying there will be anyone walking around with shotguns and rifles in hand or guns exposed for all to see. The law allows concealed carry. You probably pass numerous armed people every day and never know it. Relax, the anti gun bunches fear mongering of blood in the streets has not materialized anywhere and won't in our parks either.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 AM

33 posts, read 173,848 times
Criminals are not allowed apply for permits or if they do it is turned down by law enforcment. That does not prevent them from carrying a concealed weapon. As far as shot guns and rifles a permit is not needed to carry since they can't easily be concealed.

For a person to apply for a permit he must go thru 8 hours of training and testing. Then law enforcment sends off finger prints to the FBI as well as questionaires to your doctors as well as mental health facilities. Anyone with a crimial record who has been finger printed would pop up with the FBI.

It is a pretty safe bet that 99% of gun permit individuals are law abiding citizens. As stated above we pass many many people every day with and without gun permits who are carrying a weapon either on their person or in their vehicle and we all seem to survive.

I think we have to many left leaning individuals who are scared to death of everything, and should wake up and smell the coffee.

While I'm at it let me tell you about one of my biggest gun gripes: Let someone go into a school and shoot it up and someone get killed. This is a horrible act. As soon as this happens screems from the left that guns should be banned everywhere.
However every year 10 times more kids are killed in vehicle accidents while going and coming from school than from guns. However I don't hear the left screaming to ban kids from driving cars to school. In Buncombe and Haywood counties this year several kids have been killed in vehicle accidents.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by BadTiger64; 06-04-2009 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: addition of a word

Old 06-04-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTiger64 View Post
Criminals are not allowed apply for permits or if they do it is turned down by law enforcment. That does not prevent them from carrying a concealed weapon. As far as shot guns and rifles a permit is not needed to carry since they can't easily be concealed.

For a person to apply for a permit he must go thru 8 hours of training and testing. Then law enforcment sends off finger prints to the FBI as well as questionaires to your doctors as well as mental health facilities. Anyone with a crimial record who has been finger printed would pop up with the FBI.

It is a pretty safe bet that 99% of gun permit individuals are law abiding citizens. As stated above we pass many many people every day with and without gun permits who are carrying a weapon either on their person or in their vehicle and we all seem to survive.

I think we have to many left leaning individuals who are scared to death of everything, and should wake up and smell the coffee.

While I'm at it let me tell you about one of my biggest gun gripes: Let someone go into a school and shoot it up and someone get killed. This is a horrible act. As soon as this happens screems from the left that guns should be banned everywhere.
However every year 10 times more kids are killed in vehicle accidents while going and coming from school than from guns. However I don't hear the left screaming to ban kids from driving cars to school. In Buncombe and Haywood counties this year several kids have been killed in vehicle accidents.

What are your thoughts?
Isn't the real fear about assault rifles with high rates of fire? I don't seriously think anybody will argue, registered permit carrying owners are the real problem. They are clearly the least likely folks to use their registered guns to commit crimes. How stupid is that?

I believe we need to deal with the issues and stop pointing the finger at this or that group as the enemy. As with all things, education is needed not blind adherance to political agendas on both sides.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,883,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram45 View Post
Isn't the real fear about assault rifles with high rates of fire? I don't seriously think anybody will argue, registered permit carrying owners are the real problem. They are clearly the least likely folks to use their registered guns to commit crimes. How stupid is that?

I believe we need to deal with the issues and stop pointing the finger at this or that group as the enemy. As with all things, education is needed not blind adherance to political agendas on both sides.
First of all, the "asssault weapon" issue is crap. These guns function exactly as any semi-auto hunting rifle or shotgun. They have black plastic stocks and look scary to those who don't know. This video explains it better than I can:
YouTube - The Truth About Semi-Auto Firearms. It's a fabrication of the hopolophobes.
The issue of carrying in the parks is all about sidearms, not long guns of any type.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks but I am fully cognizant of your arguments. Fact is, not many crimes are committed using fully automatic weapons. There was that one case they made a movie out of, maybe more than one, where these bank robbers were armed with such weapons and wearing vests to boot.

Another fact of note is, a 30.06 dear rifle is more powerful than an AR-15. As I said, it's about education. May I suggest a less combative tone in your efforts to inform? I understand the frustration you must feel but when the situation is addressed in an aggressive manner you just support the opposite side's fears, irrational or not.

To be sure, I once owned a rifle and a pump shot gun and was an expert marksmen in the miltary and can still pop a few rounds into a target where it counts. What I'm advocating for here is a reasonable tone.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 AM

764 posts, read 1,599,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram45 View Post

I am a bit confused....a misplaced comma changes everything.

CCPs in National Parks is long overdue.

So what's the 'issue' that we need to deal with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina