Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,019 times

Advertisements

I know of several people who have recently located to NC, including Asheville. Have been reading of trends of people moving there from NE, FL, CA, NV, CO, TX, LA and GA.

Do these trends include WNC? Or are the new WNC transplants mainly retirees? Are they focused on SPECIFIC WNC cities like Asheville, Boone or Highlands ONLY? Any other areas?

Am starting to get "Chamber" hype on previous posts that the math doesn't add up. Desperate people "trying" to sell. Are things OK in WNC?

Seeking some honest "straight" talk and answers! (I also realize you might be Southern, so please try!)

Won't think you're rude in doing so.

Am focused also on Franklin area too, and would appreciate your feedback on this area as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,405 times
I will be surprised if whatever answers you get are not subject to widespread disagreement. I notice cars mostly with Florida, New England and Ohio license plates driving around (other than Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia, which one would expect). That agrees with my discussions with people.

Here, I believe a substantial number of relocators are retirees. The stereotypical one is someone who started in NE, moved to Florida, discovered they didn't like it and then moved halfway back (hence the term Halfbacks). It is stereotypical for a reason: there is a lot of truth to it. Although we do get our share of Ohio retirees directly from their home state.

The reason most of our newcomers are retirees is the lack of decent paying jobs in the area. I don't mention that to beat a dead horse, but on this site we see a number of people whose financial survival depends on employment wanting to move here and it boils down to how much money they need and how much they have set aside. Those who do move here and earn a living either do it in health care or earn their money in professional endeavors outside of the area.

I can't really speak for where they focus. For sure there are a number of retirees that relocated to the Asheville area, Hendersonville and Waynesville. I've heard Brevard and Boone mentioned on this site more than a few times. Not sure about Highlands. I've been there but could not tell from my brief visit if most of the folks were retirees, people in the Atlanta area with second homes or just visitors.

I've been through Franklin and I can't really help you there. Most of the locals looked like locals, but who knows where they were originally from.

Last edited by The Mule; 07-23-2009 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Formatting was messed up

Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 PM

227 posts, read 856,193 times
I would agree with Mule for the most part. Agree lots of retirees or soon to be retirees moving up that way, whether full time or part time. Not sure if the new majority would be halfbacks as those are the folks who "already" retired from up north, moved to FL and now or already moved half way back and are now older, but I could be wrong.

IMO the new generation is arriving and you will find a younger crowd. Possibly not in Asheville area due to the higher costs. I think there are plenty of Floridians who have lived and worked most of their lives in FL are now looking for new adventures and beautiful scenery. I think NC, TN fill that void.

We originally started vacationing in the Smokies 35 yrs ago and did the beach and Keys for years and now we've gotten older. While FL is wonderful in many ways, the mountains are calling us. We also have friends who recently retired and will be part timers in Murphy, their cabin was recently completed. God willing, we too hope to be part timers in Murphy within 4 yrs. Lots of Floridians there as full and part timers and some have started their own business. Do know someone who has a cabin in Franklin, they are not retired yet but do like it there.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,019 times
SINCERELY appreciate your humble HONEST answers! Many thanks.

Keep them coming, if there's more to add!

Being from Florida, I can always "smell" real estate hype.

I spent a lot of summers in WNC in the 70's + 80's and love it. (Still stopover on car trips and hurricane evacuations from Florida.) I have lots of friends and family in the nearby areas.

In the 1990's, I discovered hot springs in the Pacific NW and spent my summers since then exploring the coastal and mountain areas of Oregon, Washington and BC. I was planning to retire there.

But after 9/11, I'm really SICK of air travel. Since the years past then, I just HATE it! So now I'm looking at WNC again. My family wants me there, but I'm not sure. It's an easy drive.

Am definately not looking for the "it" place. But I'd probably be happier in a place where people from urban areas like Atlanta have second homes, who are down to earth but interesting. Elderhostel or these types of adult ed classes/workshops. I've looked at Maggie Valley area, but think its a bit older for me at this exact moment (but still open).

A good public library, farmers market, outdoor concerts, summer parades, art/craft festivals and fireworks in town. A good coffee house and bakery. A musicians/arts community would be nirvana.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 07-23-2009 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Am definately not looking for the "it" place. But I'd probably be happier in a place where people from urban areas like Atlanta have second homes, who are down to earth but interesting. Elderhostel or these types of adult ed classes/workshops. I've looked at Maggie Valley area, but think its a bit older for me at this exact moment (but still open).

A good public library, farmers market, outdoor concerts, summer parades, art/craft festivals and fireworks in town. A good coffee house and bakery. A musicians/arts community would be nirvana.
Lots of Atlanta folks are in the Highlands area and SW NC since it is an easier drive than the Asheville area. However you will find many urbanites from Charlotte, Greenville, Columbia, Raleigh, and Greensboro scattered all over the WNC region.

I think a fact finding mission is in order! Plan a nice long week to 10 days exploring the various towns in the area and see what area you are most attracted to.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,266 times
I moved to Sylva from Scottsdale. Huge culture shock. Small town, hidden in the mountains with 3 restaurants, compared to....well, you know.
After 4 years, I love it. It's quiet, beautiful, and once you make some friends, a very high quality of life. Just don't expect a nightlife, and not great for singles.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 PM

69 posts, read 181,600 times
I think Sylva is more what you are looking for than Franklin. True it is tiny but it is right by Western Carolina so it has a bit of a college town feel. They have some neat coffee shops and the restaurant I went to was supplied by a local farmer. It was a really cool organic Mexican restaurant. You can get to Atlanta in less than 3 hrs I believe and Asheville is only 40 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina