Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:01 AM

24 posts, read 66,065 times

Advertisements

I know the economy is bad, but yet, so many times, when I go out looking for a 2nd job, I'm not even considered, even though I have lots of experience in many different fields, have a great college education.

I do not think it's because I'm not in my 20s, as I have a friend who is only 21 & was born in this area and has lived here all his life, and he's also said he can hardly find ANYTHING to get as a good paying job.
He's polite, articulate and I'd hire him in a second if I owned a business, as he's a very nice person, but it seems that this is getting to be very commonplace.

If you are a local, you apply to a company that states on its doors, "We're hiring".

So, you go, fill out an application, come back, give your resume, and even may give it directly to a manager, but yet, the manager will tell you, when they meet you, "oh, we are not HIRING right now, we are JUST taking applications"

Then a couple of weeks later, you go into that same business, and sure enough, the position you applied for, has a BRAND NEW person, standing behind the counter, working, etc. and it ALWAYS seems to be someone who JUST moved into our town.

Are ALL our businesses now refusing to HIRE the locals???

If so, what's up with that??? It seems crazy, but what is even MORE crazy, is the fact, that even though, they have, time after time, REFUSED to even CONSIDER hiring you, then they also EXPECT you to spend TONS of money in their store or business!

How rude & unrealistic THAT is!! lol ... geez..
LOL... really.. and just WHERE do you expect me to get the money TO spend money in your store or at your company with??

Do you think the locals all have big MONEY trees in their backyards?

Well, I'm seeing alot of prejudice against the locals by many businesses in the area and it's starting to tick me off BIG TIME!

I've gotten to the point that, even if I HAVE the money to go spend and actually WANT to get something new, I started to HATE to do business with alot of the businesses in town and just decide to wait til I go out of town to go spend my money on something!

Maybe the locals should start a movement! If you see a certain business that will ONLY hire the newcomers, then STOP doing business with it!!!
I do not see why I'd want to further their profits if they constantly REFUSE to help the locals in the area get by or have jobs! That seems mighty discriminatory to me!
I'd like to start a website warning people about many of the businesses in the area that has this practice. Or IS there a website that talks about such things?
Are there any good local forums for the Asheville area? This is a forum for the whole country, which is cool, but obviously, if you are not from here, you don't know all the stuff that goes on in our town.
The newcomers say you love our area, and you move into our town and open up a business or a restaurant and yet, NEVER do I see any locals on your staff or in your better paying jobs!
Hmmm... any locals out there good with making websites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 07:31 AM

513 posts, read 1,223,855 times
It's worse, they only sell houses to the newcomers too.

Wanna borrow my out of state license plates for your next job interview?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Yeah..lol how long you been here for? If you've become a permanent resident, you are supposed to change out your plates by 30 days!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:19 AM

the reason they "only" sell houses to the newcomers is that the locals & permanent long time residents are, half the time, living off min wage in part time jobs.

Kinda hard to afford a REAL HOUSE when you are in that predicament.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM

243 posts, read 478,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnothesame View Post
the reason they "only" sell houses to the newcomers is that the locals & permanent long time residents are, half the time, living off min wage in part time jobs.

Kinda hard to afford a REAL HOUSE when you are in that predicament.
No kidding...

Perhaps the original poster didn't realize that before the economy tanked.....there were no good jobs in Asheville. Once the economy tanked, you have 20-30-50-100+ applicants for a single job. Places in Ohio were having 3-400 applicants for a single minimum wage janitorial job. The real unemployment rate is around 18%........a lot of competition. You're lucky to even get the change to apply for an open position.

Moderator cut: RUDE

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-07-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
Perhaps the original poster didn't realize that before the economy tanked.....there were no good jobs in Asheville. Once the economy tanked, you have 20-30-50-100+ applicants for a single job. Places in Ohio were having 3-400 applicants for a single minimum wage janitorial job. The real unemployment rate is around 18%........a lot of competition. You're lucky to even get the change to apply for an open position.
What does that have to do with hiring transplants instead of locals?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-07-2009 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: the referring post has been edited

Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 AM

Moderator cut: off topic WARNING

Well, I see one thing, that's for sure in our town. All these little 'new-agers' with their pierced noses, lips, eyebrows and the like ALWAYS seem to have a job! Or, at least the $$$ to go out and spend beacoup $$$ on drinks & dinner in the fancy restaurants downtown nite after nite in our clubs and bars!

Yeah.. so I've gotten to the point, also Francois, that I do NOT want to keep spending money in the local big box stores, or the so called Mom & Pop stores that are run just by owners, not corporations, cuz they NEVER want to hire the nice, polite, conservative locals.

Actually if they built a train that would allow me to LEAVE TOWN on a nightly basis to seek out nightlife in a DIFFERENT town, I'd be THRILLED!!

OR, if I could actually FIND a cool business, where they treated the locals and the natives with some respect and courteous, I'd go to that religiously!
Well, I have actually found ONE business that is like that! I'm not giving its name out, cuz I do NOT want it inundated with snooty, rich, tourists! To be honest, the guy is a long-time resident who owns the place, but he's NOT from here..
He's from NY! Wow.. imagine.. a NICE, POLITE person from New York living in Asheville!

so, you see, people's claims that ALL New Yorkers are rude is just NOT so! I really enjoy hangin in their establishment.. they are definitely just NICE hard working people..

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-07-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
being a local is typically seen as an asset to a prospective employer. Regardless, employers typically hire the most qualified person.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM

it typically is rubber factory, that's for sure, but not in this town! I only see the brand new johnny come lately's with good jobs in our town. We have a TON of qualified people in our town who are locals or natives..
I hardly EVER run into one who has a really good paying job..

WHY is that anyway? the new businesses just do NOT want to hire the locals/natives.....
I would sure prefer if I was a newcomer being able to come into some store or business and ask for directions and actually get directions to where I wanted to go, rather than have them always say.. well, I'm new in town, cannot really help you there..

Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnothesame View Post
it typically is rubber factory, that's for sure, but not in this town! I only see the brand new johnny come lately's with good jobs in our town. We have a TON of qualified people in our town who are locals or natives..
What concrete evidence do you have that says locals are equally qualified as non-locals, for the positions you are referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina