Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

From pics I've seen, the region looks stunning and very beautiful! The Great Smoky Mountains look really nice, and the climate sounds amiable. If I were to live here, in either a smaller city or rural area, what is the chance I would be viewed with suspicion? I'd just be going about my daily business and all. Not that I think of them as racist hillybillies, just want to be aware of any such possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Does your daily business include smiling and greeting people? If you're walking in a rural area and you see someone else walking or driving, will you wave?

People are friendly. It can be deceiving, though, because the friendliness does not actually mean they want to be friends.

You probably would not be treated badly. On the other hand, you might not find it easy to make real friends.

Are you just curious, or are you considering moving?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Does your daily business include smiling and greeting people? If you're walking in a rural area and you see someone else walking or driving, will you wave?

People are friendly. It can be deceiving, though, because the friendliness does not actually mean they want to be friends.

You probably would not be treated badly. On the other hand, you might not find it easy to make real friends.

Are you just curious, or are you considering moving?
Yes, I do like being on pretty and jovial terms with folk.

Yes I am adamant on moving to the US one day, and this region (as well as Virginia) is one region I am seriously considering, along with New England and the Tri-state area.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM

23 posts, read 70,223 times
Just so long as you dont drive 20mph on mountain roads, you will be OK im my book

Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM

756 posts, read 1,653,620 times
Had to laugh. My brother moved from Michigan to Shellharbour (Sidney area). He loves Australia and would never come back.

The grass is always greener....

I agree with jb - we are moving to NC and don't want to get behind 20 mph people on 2 lane winding roads, please.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbblanton View Post
Just so long as you dont drive 20mph on mountain roads, you will be OK im my book
The ones I get behind seem to have mostly Florida license plates

Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbblanton View Post
Man, the poor furiners can't win! They drive too fast on the highway and too slow on the mountain roads.

Reminds me of the old adage "everyone driving faster than you is an idiot and everyone driving slower than you is a moron".

Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
From pics I've seen, the region looks stunning and very beautiful! The Great Smoky Mountains look really nice, and the climate sounds amiable. If I were to live here, in either a smaller city or rural area, what is the chance I would be viewed with suspicion? I'd just be going about my daily business and all. Not that I think of them as racist hillybillies, just want to be aware of any such possibility.
The racist hillbillies are few and far between, although drive out in the sticks a few miles and you'll plenty of confederate flags.

But contrary to popular myth, the South is not a cesspool of racist hillbillies, especially in Asheville proper. Thank you Hollywood!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The ones I get behind seem to have mostly Florida license plates
Yikes, thanks for opening the door on the Florida bashing again.

It must be open season around here . . . poor devils.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Be prepared for every single person you encounter to ask you to "say something" again, and again, just to hear that lovely accent

I think you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina