Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 PM

43 posts, read 138,387 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been researching relocating to WNC for sometime now. I think I have narrowed it down to Black Mountain or Weaverville, Weaverville being the winner so far.
I would LOVE to buy land and build a house so I can get what I want. How much is the average price per sq. ft. in these areas?? i understand it will vary so a range will be fine!!
Also, are Modular homes popular in this area or not? I don't really see much about them so i wasn't sure. It doesn't matter to me, just curious!!
Thanks in advance!.

Also, while I'm here, can anyone tell me the biggest differences in the school districts between these 2 towns? I have 3 small children.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM

73 posts, read 277,041 times
Black Mountain will be more expensive, unless you are out of any sort of development.

Our experience was it cost about $130 sf for the heated/air conditioned area, not counting land, for a stick built house with a 2 car garage and a big unfinished basement. The basement and garage were included in that amount. If you added the sf of the basement and the garage, the cost was about $75 sf. That included wood floors and granite counter tops everywhere you need counter tops.

It is hard to get a real estimate that way because there are so many variables. Our well cost considerably more than we had budgeted. Our earth moving cost close to twice what we budgeted. If we had been on flat land and city water, it would have been a lot less per sf.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:20 PM

where did you build?? In either of those area's? I'm pretty much narrowed down to Black Mountain and Weaverville, but still have to visit a few times of course. Where we live it's about $300 a sq foot and land cost is well out of our reach. It the $130 that you estimate including the extras that you weren't ready for like the well and clearing?
We are planning a trip down in march/april this year.
Are those two towns mostly subdivisions? Can you find semi flat land? And is there city water around? or is it hard to come by? Our area just recently got city water, but some area's are still without so I understand the difference.
Thank you for your information, I really appreciate it!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:52 PM

121 posts, read 278,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktljjt View Post
where did you build?? In either of those area's? I'm pretty much narrowed down to Black Mountain and Weaverville, but still have to visit a few times of course. Where we live it's about $300 a sq foot and land cost is well out of our reach. It the $130 that you estimate including the extras that you weren't ready for like the well and clearing?
We are planning a trip down in march/april this year.
Are those two towns mostly subdivisions? Can you find semi flat land? And is there city water around? or is it hard to come by? Our area just recently got city water, but some area's are still without so I understand the difference.
Thank you for your information, I really appreciate it!
I am home builder in the North Buncombe and Madison Co areas and here are some guidelines.

If you want a simple four corner, vinyl clad house with the matching finishes you could build for approx. $120/sqft.

A nicer home with hardi plank siding, granite, stainless steel appliances, 2 car garage, etc $130-$150/sqft.

However, we are currently building a home with ICF foundation, ultra custom finishing w/ english tudor style architecture and this client is going to be spending more in the neighborhood of $200/sqft.

In saying that, I would be remiss if I did not mention that you could get a decent quality off frame modular for about $100/sqft.

Public utilities outside of the city limits are VERY limited and you will most likely be using well and septic. The above pricing would include those items. Does this help answer some of your questions?
Brian

Old 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM

$130- $175 a square foot sounds good to me. How are the land options?? I have looked online but the prices vary so much, 50K - 200K for land. What are some good areas in or around Weaverville to look into?? subdivision names would be helpful!!
thanks for all the great info!!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 PM

There are a bunch of subdivisions off the HWY 25/70 corridor and I mean a bunch. There are also several in North Buncombe off HWY 197. Its late for me and I have to be to the job site early, but I'll get on tomorrow and give you more specifics. However, I will mention this the two biggest items that determine pricing or views and water. You want either or both, expect to pay more.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Thank You!! I look forward to the info!! I would love a view, not of water, just mountains, but can do without if I have to. I don't want a HUGELY sloping lot. I know this is the mountains but i have 3 small kids and it is just not very practical for playing in the yard or putting in a pool. So I'd sacrifice the "view" for a nice lot that has a flat part :-)

Old 01-21-2010, 05:02 AM

One last question... You like a heavily wooded lot or more grass and open? I'll post results later today.
Brian

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 AM

I don't really care which lot. I would be more looking for part of the land to be flat. Or somewhat flat. may want a pool and don't want to be scared my kids will roll off to nowhere land!!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM

98 posts, read 527,029 times
Ktlttj,

On schools...there are some very good private schools around Asheville. Overall I think their isn't a huge difference between school systems (I have compared notes with co-workers in the past and in a lot of cases...the course work was exact right down to the books).

There are multiple factors you need to be aware of when researching land here;

1-Views-Water/Mountains/none-These have a massive impact on price. An ok mountain lot with a slope might go $250K while an awesome lot with no view might go for $75K

2-Accessibility-I have had this happen a bunch. You might find the perfect lot online for you for $50K in Weaverville but you have to drive 25 minutes on back roads to get someplace.....it is just part of living in the mountains as it is easier to drive around them than over them

3-Public utilities-enough said there

4-HOA fees-In some communities they get real steep real fast....so be very aware of that one in this region.

I highly recommend a trip without the kids and seeing as many lots as you can in a weekend. That is really the only way to get an idea of what you want and what you are willing to give up.

I love Black Mountain, but you do pay a premium to be in that town. We picked Fletcher because Hendo and Ash are both within 15 minutes and both have a different feel. That said we did sacrifice a town center....but we all have choices to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina