Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a high school English teacher. My fiance and I are considering a move to Asheville, NC. We currently live in Flagstaff, AZ. We really like living in our small mountain town, but there are some drawbacks. Flagstaff is extremely expensive and the school district I work for is closing the high school where I work. Would it be reasonable to think I could get a teaching job in Asheville? My fiance is a photographer - are there photography jobs in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Teaching jobs ANYWHERE are hard to find. English teachers are / have always been too common.

Best to search the teacher job sites before packing all your belongings and thinking there might be a teaching job.

Look here

https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/VacantPosition?openform (broken link)

and here

Teaching Jobs US, Education Jobs, Special Education Teacher Jobs

as these sites have many NC positions listed...

Best of Luck.

Also search NC city data for other threads related to teaching jobs..

Since the May 2009 budget crisis here, the land of plenty has really become the land of not all that.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:19 PM

19 posts, read 55,077 times
Default jobs are very hard to find in Asheville

Teaching jobs too...I substituted for 1.5 yrs. after moving there and then I had an interim assignment. I would have loved to stay there, but had to move because there were no openings. People LOVE Asheville and hang onto jobs there to stay in the area...but, GOOD Luck!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,168 times
I love Asheville BUT teaching jobs are next to impossible to get. I am certified in Elementary and Special Education and only got one job offer after a few interviews. Previously, in other areas of the country, I had a job offer at every place that I interviewed at. Each of the schools that I interviewed at said that they received 200+ applications for one position. One of my friends down here applied for all of the available English teaching jobs (middle and high school), there weren't many maybe 10 or 11 and only got one interview. Luckily she got it, but our principal said that they had 350+ applications. I now drive 45 minutes one way to get to school and she drives an hour. In addition, many school districts have already announced layoffs for next year. You will love living in Asheville if you move here but beware it is extremely hard to get a teaching job. [/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina