Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 30,044 times

Advertisements

I have received a job offer in the Hutchinson Area and my wife has several good opportunities for work in the Wichita area. We are looking at moving to Hutchinson over Wichita due to the want of a smaller town living to raise our 3 kids.

Does anyone have any Pro's and Con's to the Hutchinson area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:50 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Depends on your lifestyle i guess...
Hutch doesnt offer much in the way of things to do but you could always..
Hit Wichita on the Weekends(47 Min drive?).
Were you thinking working in Hutch and the wife working in Wichita?
Thats a pretty good distance and could get rough when/if bad weather hits.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM

Really I am leaning more towards Hutchinson. We are not looking for a great deal of nightlife just a simple life were we can ride out the economy for the next 5-7 years.

I grew up in a town of 7500 and did the whole "when I turn 18 I am out of here" route and I am now just looking for a place to work in the yard and send the kids to school and not have to worry about them getting shot.

The cost of living is nice as well, having money left over after a payday would be fun and and forthe selling price of our house here we could reall do well there!

Someone tell me about the bad things. I see a lot of views but no replies

Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMcTx View Post
I have received a job offer in the Hutchinson Area and my wife has several good opportunities for work in the Wichita area. We are looking at moving to Hutchinson over Wichita due to the want of a smaller town living to raise our 3 kids.

Does anyone have any Pro's and Con's to the Hutchinson area?
Hutchinson is a pretty good commute to Wichita and, in the winter, can be hard to impossible when bad weather hits. Not to mention gas cost. It is not a commute I would want my wife to make. Can she find work in Hutchinson?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Really I am leaning more towards Hutchinson. We are not looking for a great deal of nightlife just a simple life were we can ride out the economy for the next 5-7 years.

I grew up in a town of 7500 and did the whole "when I turn 18 I am out of here" route and I am now just looking for a place to work in the yard and send the kids to school and not have to worry about them getting shot.

The cost of living is nice as well, having money left over after a payday would be fun and and forthe selling price of our house here we could reall do well there!

Someone tell me about the bad things. I see a lot of views but no replies
There is nothing bad to say about Hutchinson except the lousy weather which is true of the whole state. Cheap housing, decent schools, no crime to speak of.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 PM

We have now decided fully on it being Hutchinson. We started looking for houses online today. I must say coming from a place that $250K for a houses is considered good I am seeing a lot of houses in the area of Hutchinson for half that that are just as good.

Any suggestions on areas?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
We have now decided fully on it being Hutchinson. We started looking for houses online today. I must say coming from a place that $250K for a houses is considered good I am seeing a lot of houses in the area of Hutchinson for half that that are just as good.

Any suggestions on areas?
$250K will buy you a 12 BR mansion in Hutchinson! There are no bad areas in Hutchinson unless things have changed since I was last there.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM

5 posts, read 17,688 times
There aren't too many bad things.. Hutchinson is small and quiet, and besides the chinese buffet, Wal-Mart, and the state fair once a year you will probably end up commuting to Wichita whenever you want to do something with the family. Wichita is pretty much the same.. quiet and safe. There are some "bad" areas (mostly the south side and parts of the north) but wichita is still very safe. I moved here 7 years ago from Detroit,MI and was so suprised by all the different people living here and getting along. everyone is polite, and people you dont know will smile and say hello. I came here as a teenager from a city with a population of 1,000,000 so the hardest thing for me was keeping myself entertained. This is a great place to raise a family, or retire. Its a relatively small city with a big city feel... I have grown to like it here very much. the number one thing to do here is eat out. There is an endless amount of restaurants and many of them are non-franchise. other than eating out, we only have the basics.. movie theatres(the Warren is the main one,having 3 locations), bowling(The Alley has indoor go carts, bumper cars etc.) and shopping (Towne East, Towne West, Bradley Fair, The Waterfront<<new and very nice). also the sedgwick county zoo is one of the best in the nation. There is always an updated list of things to do and upcoming events in the local area on FetchToto.com . I hope I have been somewhat helpful!!! Welcome to Kansas!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:20 PM

yeah and think about this $250K here gets you a 3 bdr cookie cutter house in a part of town considered to be "rebuilding" Majority of homes in the Austin Area are coming in at $300K these days with about $3K a year in taxes.

You can live in the outskirts like Kyle and Buda and get a good new house for $190 and up but if you work in Austin it takes over an hour to get in and from work.

I just want to move to a place where my kids can go to school and not have 45 ppl in the same classroom

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyDeveau View Post
There aren't too many bad things.. Hutchinson is small and quiet, and besides the chinese buffet, Wal-Mart, and the state fair once a year you will probably end up commuting to Wichita whenever you want to do something with the family. Wichita is pretty much the same.. quiet and safe. There are some "bad" areas (mostly the south side and parts of the north) but wichita is still very safe. I moved here 7 years ago from Detroit,MI and was so suprised by all the different people living here and getting along. everyone is polite, and people you dont know will smile and say hello. I came here as a teenager from a city with a population of 1,000,000 so the hardest thing for me was keeping myself entertained. This is a great place to raise a family, or retire. Its a relatively small city with a big city feel... I have grown to like it here very much. the number one thing to do here is eat out. There is an endless amount of restaurants and many of them are non-franchise. other than eating out, we only have the basics.. movie theatres(the Warren is the main one,having 3 locations), bowling(The Alley has indoor go carts, bumper cars etc.) and shopping (Towne East, Towne West, Bradley Fair, The Waterfront<<new and very nice). also the sedgwick county zoo is one of the best in the nation. There is always an updated list of things to do and upcoming events in the local area on FetchToto.com . I hope I have been somewhat helpful!!! Welcome to Kansas!
For serious culture, entertainment and sports KC is only 3 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita