Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
gmm gmm started this thread

3 posts, read 8,106 times

Advertisements

Hello and Thanks in advance for the input. We have 3 kids: 6,4, and 1 and have 4 dogs. We are (w/in the next 4 weeks) coming to the area and I'd be very excited for my son to go to a better school than he does now. We like the country and big yards, but need to be close enough to things and want to be in a good school district, but not soo rich we'd feel out of place. We currently live in a regular neighborhood w/a decent yard and are looking for the same or larger yard size and further home distance apart or semi-rural. We are going to have to rent, unfortunately. Husband's work will be near Ida street. What areas do you think will suit us best? I've seen school-wise people recommending Goddard, Andover, and Derby. Please Help! I've lived in rural and suburban midwest before (4 states) and am glad to be going back. Also, any advice on Riverside area?

Last edited by gmm; 01-17-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM

321 posts, read 1,214,009 times
I've got a brother who lives on S. Ida; Haysville address... fairly rural neighborhood with beautiful homes/large yards. The kids are in the Derby school district.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM

266 posts, read 832,018 times
The Riverside area won't offer you the open spaces you're seeking. It is close to parks, museums, and the river, but lots of supervision for the kids would probably be required. People have varying opinions of the crime rate and safety of the area. The Mid-Town area that is ... north and east of Riverside has had crime issues. The houses would be old-er and you might run in to maintenance. I think the schools in that area struggle. I had a friend who taught at one, and at that time, she said the demographics matched an urban, inner city school.

If your husband's work would be on Ida St. I'd probably go with the Haysville suggestion - not south Wichita. I suspect you could find decent rentals there. There are areas south of Kellogg and Maize Rd/Hoover Rd where you might find rentals that put you in either the Haysville or Goddard school district. There's also reasonably easy access to grocery stores, gas stations, New Market Square shopping center, Towne West Square mall, fast food, etc. from that area. Some of it wold depend on how far your husband would want his drive to work to be. Kellogg gives pretty easy access to places, considering how spread out the city is.

I think this is pretty accurate. Ohers?

Old 01-28-2009, 07:15 PM

20 posts, read 83,940 times
I would not recommend the Derby school district. Goddard is getting a good reputation for schools. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:55 AM
gmm gmm started this thread

3 posts, read 8,106 times
I'm surprised. I've heard the Derby district is good. Any insight would be great. What do you like or recommend in the area? Thanks.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 AM

26 posts, read 57,418 times
With the layoffs at the air induatry and I have heard that homes are not selling as fast a years past, has anyone seen the cost of a new and or used home drop?

Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 AM

321 posts, read 1,214,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
I'm surprised. I've heard the Derby district is good. Any insight would be great. What do you like or recommend in the area? Thanks.
My family members whose kids go to Derby schools, love it there! They've got nothing but positive things to say about the district, having recently moved there from Surprise, AZ.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 AM

20 posts, read 83,940 times
It was good years ago but is not anymore. We will either move out of district or pay for private for our kids. Either way, we are very disappointed with the Derby school district since we love our home and do not want to move or spend more money. If you love Derby the town, I would recommend living near Derby (but be in the Mulvane or Rose Hill districts). They are not perfect but are better than Derby.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 PM

117 posts, read 340,793 times
I lived in the Goddard district around 119th and Maple. I went to Goddard and my experience was ok. The buildings were great, the teachers were decent, and the school spirit depends on the class. It's definitely growing and they are planning to build a second high school. They have plenty of K-4, two 5-6 grade schools, two 7-8, and one high school with another on the way. It'll probably end up being like andover with 2 different high schools so they can play each other. I've heard the Derby schools are amazing and when I lived in Wichita, I taught a child of 2 derby elementary teachers. I would just stay on the outskirts of Wichita. Definitely would not recommend Campus for a school.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM

266 posts, read 832,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jhwk View Post
Definitely would not recommend Campus for a school.
I agree that Campus High School in Haysville would leave something to be desired. But, the original poster's kids are little and the Haysville schools in the elementary and middle schools have decent reputations. Oatville Elementary used to have a great reputation. Also, I think finding reasonably priced rentals in the areas I mentioned would be much easier than some of these suggestions like 119th north of Kellogg. East of Maize Rd and north of Kellogg isn't a place you just step into on a middle class income with three kids and four dogs. I wouldn't get house-poor on a rental the first few months I move into a city if I could plan ahead for a move in a couple of years after I get my bearings and really know what the area is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita