Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 PM

767 posts, read 1,324,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
You must have missed the Dillons Marketplace that just recently opened...

Dillons - Store Locator - Store Details
Oh, not living in the Wichita area I was only aware of the one that was on Highway 54/400/Kellogg that closed sometime between January 2009 and January 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
Please tell me about Andover. Specifically, we are looking for a good, safe place to raise our family. Great Schools, Good shopping, Restaurants. We would be looking for a home in the $300K-$400K range in a family friendly, newer neighborhood. What is the commute like from Andover to central Wichita? Are there areas to stay away from?

We are also considering Derby. How do the two compare? Is there another suburb we should consider based on the above criteria?

Thanks for your help!

~K~
I can't speak much for Andover. But I live in Derby. I chose Derby over Andover because I could get more house for my money. If you're spending $300-$400k you could easily land in 2-3 of the nicest neighborhoods in town. (Tierra Pines, Park Hill or the neighborhood by the golf course...can't think of what it's called at the moment) All very family friendly. Park Hill is probably family friendliest.

I also liked the small town feel of Derby. People are very friendly. You can walk up to just about anyone and start a conversation. This was a breath of fresh air for someone who came from a city where casual conversation with strangers is practically unheard of.

Shopping and restaruants seem to be an improving aspect of Derby. Lots of new building going on. But it's not like what you will find at Town East Mall or Bradley Fair....but Andover doesn't have anything like that either. If you want to go shopping you're going to have to head up Rock Rd.....but I'll say the same for Andover.

Schools. Most people will say that Andover is the place to go for good schools. But honestly I haven't had a whole lot of negative things to say about Derby's school system. The 6th-8th grade leaves a little to be desired but the elementarys and high school are awesome. The best elementary school in town is Park Hill.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,193,771 times
Quote:
I have never heard of Dillions. Is that a supermarket chain? What other grocery stores, shopping and restaurants are in the Andover area? ~K~
It doesn't matter. Once you go in a dillons marketplace you won't ever want to buy food from walmart or target again. I moved from Oklahoma city where there is not selection of grocery stores. Dillons marketplace are on par with Publix of Florida. They are more exp than wal mart and less than target with much better quality than both.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 PM

767 posts, read 1,324,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
It doesn't matter. Once you go in a dillons marketplace you won't ever want to buy food from walmart or target again. I moved from Oklahoma city where there is not selection of grocery stores. Dillons marketplace are on par with Publix of Florida. They are more exp than wal mart and less than target with much better quality than both.
This is 100% the truth. Walmarts produce, meat. and dairy is nasty compared to the quality Kroger gives us though a slightly more expensive price in Dillons. Where I live Dillions does so well we can support two of them no that far from each other on the same street as well as a Wal-Mart and Sams Club.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,274,032 times
Derby just got a new Dillons marketplace as well. It is much better than Walmart but there is a price to be paid for the improvement.

For fresh foods it's hard to top Dillons.....but a 12 pk of cokes is the same no matter where you go so if you're on a budget may want to get stuff like that at Walmart.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,193,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Derby just got a new Dillons marketplace as well. It is much better than Walmart but there is a price to be paid for the improvement.

For fresh foods it's hard to top Dillons.....but a 12 pk of cokes is the same no matter where you go so if you're on a budget may want to get stuff like that at Walmart.
Very true. For some of the non grocery items or things like coke, Wal mart definately has its place. And for the poster who asked, their is a super walmart on the far east side of Wichita on Kellogg not too far from Andover.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,559,685 times
Is there a Starbucks in Derby or Andover? I have a little addiction. : )

Old 03-12-2010, 08:14 PM

378 posts, read 1,622,131 times
Quote:
Is there a Starbucks in Derby or Andover? I have a little addiction. : )
Your best bets for Derby: Starbucks inside Target in Derby, stand-alone store at Harry & Rock, or Starbucks inside Dillons at Harry & Webb.

Your best bets for Andover: There are no Starbucks in Andover proper. The nearest would be Starbucks inside Target at 21st & Greenwich or again, Dillons at Harry & Webb.

If you want a stand-alone store, your options that far east would be Harry & Rock, Central & Rock, or 29th & Rock. Starbucks is also inside Dillons at 21st & Rock and Dillons at Central & Rock.

Hope that helps, you Starbucks addict you.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,559,685 times
Mmmm.... Starbucks. Good to know.

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 PM

20 posts, read 84,027 times
I can tell you honestly that we are very disappointed in Derby schools and are leaving to move our kids into Andover schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita