Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM

979 posts, read 3,673,635 times

Advertisements

Jan, Below is a link from the North Dakota Dept. of Transportation. You would need Adobe Reader (free download www.adobe.com ) installed on your pc. You can increase the size and see the traffic counts of each street within the city limits of Williston. In order to get the total count, you would have to add "each traffic lane" numbers up. This is from 2010, so is already a couple years old. I'm sure the traffic counts are much higher now. I read the "4 mile" west of Williston (which now has traffic lights) had 29,000 vehicles passing through the intersection each day. Check out link below:
http://www.dot.nd.gov/road-map/pdf/t.../williston.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,283,387 times
Thank you Roloff....great information! WOW! I cannot fathom the amount of traffic.

Last edited by JanND; 05-10-2012 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,377,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Believe me the only thing we can do is laugh sometimes around here. This is an everyday occurance, that is sad itself, and it's sad that the drivers end up like in this picture.

Seriously, I have and will laugh at these kind of happenings. What else can a person do. I had to laugh when my vehicle got totaled by someone out of Colorado and I won't see anyting for it because they had no insurance, that is really funny.

Do you live in Williston? Got's to man up around here! I'm pretty sure this is a tanker hauling water by the way.
No I don't live in Williston however, I do own a semi and my husband hauls Tankers and I see nothing at all funny about any of it. No matter what anyone is hauling this is serious ALL the time and nothing to laugh at.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 AM

8 posts, read 22,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No I don't live in Williston however, I do own a semi and my husband hauls Tankers and I see nothing at all funny about any of it. No matter what anyone is hauling this is serious ALL the time and nothing to laugh at.
I'm sure everyone here appreciates the gravity of the situation. But when the occurrence is so common place, a situation occurs where you either allow it to disturb you constantly or you laugh it off and save yourself the stress. In this profession the stresses of everyday life are demanding enough without driving ourselves into the ground by getting upset every time these accidents happen. Laughing at the situation is, for lack of a better word, therapeutic.

No one is truly taking the situation for granted, but there is nothing anyone person can do about the situation simply because of the size, scope, and chaotic nature of it. It would be futile to get upset every time you see a picture in the OP as you would only cause yourself more stress. I say this because the picture in the OP is not one of a fire, hazard spill, death, crushed 4-wheeler, or any other terrible incident.

So yes, on occasions such as this, it is laughable.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 AM

175 posts, read 460,526 times
I think Trucker pretty much hit the nail on the head. I use to work as a call firefighter and hang around a lot of EMTs and nurses. All three groups are pretty bad at laughing at things that "aren't funny." After reading CSD's first post one incident popped immediately to mind. We had to remove a body that had been in an apartment for ~1 week. The person was large before... and since a week had passed... even larger. They were brought over to the hurse and couldn't fit in and they tried a few times.

We were bad. We just couldn't stop laughing. Some people moved to the other side of the truck. Some turned around. Some held it longer than others and as one group began to contain themselves another would start, which usually resulted in the first group bursting out again.... At least all the movement had us looking busy while we waited for a pickup from the highway department to bring the person to the morgue.

My job.... ride in the back of the truck and make sure they didn't fall out. Seriously.

It just makes the job (in this case life) easier to laugh a little at some of the things that happen as long as no one gets hurt. Took a little while but I'm starting to chuckle whenever I hop in a truck that has missing safety equipment. It seems to be the norm at my company. I was pulling my hair out before... but when I hop in one that has everything I'm beaming.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 22,079 times
Sorry you had to read past my atrocious grammar.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM

180 posts, read 313,174 times
Quote:
BI had to laugh when my vehicle got totaled by someone out of Colorado and I won't see anyting for it because they had no insurance, that is really funny.
Quote:
Thanks JanND, exactly, of course I wouldn't have laughed or even posted it if someone got injured or perished. Believe me, we have to laugh around here, people are still going through red lights after yours turns green, you have to wait or better wait and look very carefully because there will be at least 2 if not more going through the red light.
As an aspiring entrepreneur, these give me a couple business ideas: hitman, and traffic light camera installer. About the latter, there are some big intersections nearby here that have them and I've heard that accidents have appreciably decreased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston