Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 12:44 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - I'm a relatively young guy (31) with a chemical engineering degree and I've been laid off from the full-time job I got after grad school for a little over a year. I've heard a lot of stories about the oil boom in Williston from the media and some people who seem to think I should go out there. That being said, from searching jobs, it seems that most jobs in the oilfield either require a CDL or previous oilfield experience, and the other areas of high demand (retail, construction, services) are things you could find elsewhere. For example, I could work in retail in my hometown and not have to worry about the whole moving 1000 miles away and housing issues.

So, for a person with a chemical engineering degree - is there anything out there? Would certain oil companies be interested in my skills? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM

59 posts, read 138,388 times
I too have a degree in Chemical Engineering. I went in the oilfield right out of school. There are many large service companies that will hire a chemical engineer as a field engineer (frac, cement, wireline,etc). It is hard to get into an operating comapany with only a degree though. The operating company will sometimes take a petroleum engineer or geologist with no prior oilfield experience. Schlumberger and Haliburton both hire a huge number of engineers with no previous oilfield experience. Smaller companies usually prefer someone with experience; they often don't have the programs in place to provide the techinical training needed.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,213 times
Cbmsu01:

A lot of the technical jobs are located at company headquarters, especially for the exploration oil companies. Look at a list of ND Bakken oil companies and review their job openings.

A few other places to look in ND:
ONEOK (building four nat gas plants in ND)
Hess (expanding a nat gas plant @ Tioga)
Carbo Ceramics - building a huge ceramic propant plant near Dickinson
Montana Dakota Utilities (MDU) - oil and gas holdings
UNDEERC - usually hiring ChemEs in Grand Forks

There are huge chemical plant expansions ongoing in Texas due to ethane / propane supply growth. Also in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh (Marcellus and Utica Shales) - specifically Shell and Markwest Partners.

Tulsa, Houston, OKC, Denver, Beaumont, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge are cities to look at too.

Check websites of chemical and process engineering companies.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Thank you for the advice everyone. So it looks like I would need to check more for company positions on their websites, and not just move out to North Dakota and hope for the best. That's kind of what I thought, but thanks for the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston