Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 11,768 times

Advertisements

I got my class A 2 weeks ago in my 5th week of heavy equipment school ill have four weeks left and I will be heading to Nd . Im going to keep the forum posted in my progress I'm really excited and hope I can also pass on valuable information . Wish me luck

Wiredawg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM

One question to add a friend of mine wants to go with me I have no problem with it but I told him he would be better off taking his car but he doesn't have a reliable one. I told him I don't care I'm just worried how is going to get around if we work diff place schedule eat. Any advice for him or I

Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 PM

9 posts, read 8,567 times
The area and its opportunities is very spread out and you are best off if you are mobile and flexible. His lack of a vehicle will seriously impair his ability to find good work. It's not a place to come to on a wing and a prayer. Especially with winter right around the corner. You seem to have some it right by planning and augmenting your marketability through specific training. There are a pot of jobs here, but the truth is, they are not all good jobs. The less preparation and training you have, the more likely you are to be abused or taken advantage of. There are many pirates here looking to make a quick buck off the backs of the weak and uninformed. Beware.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Really appreciate the info and the sobering outlook. I'm a new driver so Im really trying listening to the experience workers. I'm kind of weary of bringing my friend with out at least him having his class a I been on his case about it but I dont know if he's in school yet........ Moving on are their any specifics old man river or anyone else about any practices or phrases used In job posting or interviews ect that should raise red flags with these jokers also any certain jobs or position I should steer clear of.

Last edited by WireDawwg; 07-27-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 8,567 times
With no experience brother your gonna probably start out at a job that may not be ideal but just remember that every ounce of experience you can gain, and every day you spend working in the Oil Fields adds to your résumé and marketability. My first job out here was a Frac water hauler for a small owner with one truck. It was hard to make money because the larger companies have soaked up so much of the trucking work here. But, after 30 days driving for him more doors opened up and I moved onto driving propane and operating a Frac hearing truck. After 60 days of that, I was able to get myself hired onto a workover rig as a roughneck at a very good pay rate. It's impossible to know where you'll end up or what you want to do without coming here and walking through the maze. It's a very complex and difficult industry and I just want to warn you that it is a real roller coaster ride. Especially at first. Put on your best suit of armor and never give up. Keep your eyes and ears open and make as many contacts as you can. The good news is this. Almost everyone out here has been in your situation at one point and most are eager to help. Don't be afraid to ask. Also, winter is coming and many folks will throw in the towel and that will create more opportunities. If you do find yourself in a bad job, don't get stuck there. Don't be afraid to move on. Everyone I know out here has used job changes to advance themselves. It's the nature of the beast. Everyone is always looking for a better opportunity and they should be. Trust me, you will find a job with your CDL. It will likely be a little more " fly by night" at first than you'd like but just get your foot in the door and take it from there. Water truck driving will be your easiest entry into oilfield driving. It's also the most shady. They will hire you promising a lot if hours and pay and you may find yourself sitting by the phone waiting for the all to drive. That's not a given. You also may get lucky and be driving a lot. Just depends on how it all shakes out for you.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 AM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WireDawwg View Post
One question to add a friend of mine wants to go with me I have no problem with it but I told him he would be better off taking his car but he doesn't have a reliable one. I told him I don't care I'm just worried how is going to get around if we work diff place schedule eat. Any advice for him or I
He would have to settle for a fast food job or working at Walmart situation. Those aren't necessarily bad, as with the right sleeping accommodations (near his job) he could work until he saves up to buy a car. He could also go to Williston State (a Jr college) and study for some oil industry position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston