Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM

155 posts, read 421,171 times

Advertisements

Yep stay away from the fly by night outfitts. Plenty of them around looking for their next victim. Go for the big companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:36 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Just because a company is small, or a start-up in the ND field, doesn't mean they're a fly-by-night. There are a lot of people out there that don't WANT to work for large companies because they're just a number. And small companies allow faster advancement because there are fewer bodies to fill similar jobs.

However this:
Quote:
I talked to one guy who said, "I need someone who will work with me on getting paid"...
Say what???...when he said that I hung up the phone while he was still blabbing.
I dunno about you but I expect to be paid in full on every scheduled payday.
The first time I get stiffed is my last day on the job.
If they don't have the capital to cover their payroll they shouldn't be up there.
is all too common!

Every time my husband is being courted by some new outfit up there, my first question is always, "Do they have an operating loan to make payroll?"
Because if paying the help on time isn't the number one priority, there's a problem. With truck outfits, particularly, the drivers ARE the company. They need to be the first priority.

But the fact that my hubby works for a small company means he's had a chance to build his reputation. And that's the sole reason he's currently sitting on our living room couch here in Kansas, dispatching trucks to a frack out by Killdeer.
Don't write off the little guy too quickly, just do your homework!

Last edited by itsMeFred; 01-13-2014 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 PM

155 posts, read 421,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Just because a company is small, or a start-up in the ND field, doesn't mean they're a fly-by-night. There are a lot of people out there that don't WANT to work for large companies because they're just a number. And small companies allow faster advancement because there are fewer bodies to fill similar jobs.

However this:

is all too common!

Every time my husband is being courted by some new outfit up there, my first question is always, "Do they have an operating loan to make payroll?"
Because if paying the help on time isn't the number one priority, there's a problem. With truck outfits, particularly, the drivers ARE the company. They need to be the first priority.

But the fact that my hubby works for a small company means he's had a chance to build his reputation. And that's the sole reason he's currently sitting on our living room couch here in Kansas, dispatching trucks to a frack out by Killdeer.
Don't write off the little guy too quickly, just do your homework!
This...There are small companies that are great companies out there.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,368 times
Again, the first time I get stiffed out of my pay is my last day on the job.
And this seems to be happening more with the smaller outfits than the big ones.
I couldn't care less about company reputation...I care about my money.
People don't come to Williston for the scenery and the weather.
They go there to make money...real money.
And if someone gives me a weekly IOU in place of a pay check I'm on my way to the state labor office before long.
They can then explain their line of reasoning to them and pay what they owe...or face stiff fines.
This is the law across the land -- not just North Dakota.
Most don't go up there to play games.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
And this seems to be happening more with the smaller outfits than the big ones.
Of course.
There are probably 10 small outfits to every big one. This is just basic statistics.

But there are small companies out there that pay their drivers top dollar and on time. You just have to be willing to do a little homework to make sure you find them.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:27 PM

168 posts, read 370,118 times
Speaking of small outfits, anyone know anything about a company called Nickleback Transport? My husband's friend is looking to take a job through them and trying to talk my husband into it. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 PM

As I mentioned earlier there is recourse if you get stiffed with an IOU instead of a paycheck.
Go to the local branch of the state labor office and file a claim.
It takes about an hour of yer time and doesn't cost you a thin dime.
They will contact yer employer within five business days.
They then have ten business days to pay you or they risk a big fat fine.
Odds are they'll let you go after that but who cares??
Who wants to work for an outfit that pays you with a lick & a promise anyway??
If you really like the outfit yer with - and they give you an IOU - give em chance to make it up.
I might let em slide one time to make it up later but that's it.
Remember, the first thing the labor office is going to ask you is why you let em slide in the first place.
If you get another IOU after that then they're having a good laugh on you and its time to file a claim.
I for one would not go all the way to ND to be paid with a promise.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-15-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 PM

BTW, I would be wary of outfits who post job openings without giving their business name.
You would think they would want people to know who they are.
That's the first (and biggest) red flag IMO.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Thank you, GM1258 for warning new people.

Bad enough to relocate away from home and family, put up with the brutal ND winter, then get stiffed on payday by some low life company.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM

Just trying to keep everyone honest.
I called the ND Dept of Labor headquarters in Bismark.
They said they get flooded with calls from the Bakken region re: employers who don't pay their help.
Usually from truck drivers tho others file claims as well.
In fact, they said that statewide average back wage claims have increased by 20% since the oil boom began.
That means ND now has 20% more wage claims just from the Bakken region alone! Scary thought.
Unfortunately they didn't have any stats re: the size of such outfits involved.
Tho I have heard cross talk that it's usually the smaller O/O or father & son outfits that are to blame.
They said they're planning to set up a satellite office in Williston to expedite the claims process in the region.
Even so it can still take many weeks to collect any back pay from your employer.
I dunno to many people who are willing to wait that long to get paid.
This practice may cast a dark cloud over working in the Bakken for some people.
So if yer employer stiffs you even once I would leave w/o notice and find something else asap.
Then go to the labor office and file a claim.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-30-2014 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston