Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 08:20 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

This also ran in the Bismarck Tribune.

I am on the opposite side of the state and seldom hear much that happens out in the Bakken.

Quote:
Man camps dwindle to ghost camps

Some man camps are becoming ghost camps in the oil patch, especially in Mountrail County where only five of the 23 camps whose operating permits expire this year have applied for renewal. Another 11 are done and cleaned up, and seven are in the wind, with no forwarding address.

The dramatic drop in drilling rigs to 68 is the puppeteer behind the empty or disappeared beds, but some decline in the man camp population may come from camps being put out of business.

Man camps dwindle to ghost camps : Energy News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
It is time for "some" to be closed down. I'm referring to the makeshift man camps set up in fields and farm yards scattered around the counties and cities in northwest ND. I think they need to reconsider allowing some to stay open, like the larger man camps like Target Logistics and Capital, (for example) that are actually in the business of providing temporary housing, dining and shuttle for workers that commute in and out of the region. I would rather have a man camp as my neighbor, in my city or outskirts of the city that cater to that clientele than have them in apartment complexes that are hard to enforce rules such as no alcohol, drugs, firearms, "night visitors", fighting, etc... etc...
Man camps still serve a purpose, but it is time to clean up the makeshift man camps for sure.
I think the larger man camps will decide on their own when it is time to shut down and pull out.
I understand why the cities and counties in and around Williston are ready to be done with them, but they do still serve a purpose. I think it is interesting that the man camps in and around Williston are still busy and pretty full, and they are the ones being targeted for closure by some of the city/county leaders.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:58 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
The oilfields are closing up, they have been laying off steady since the first of the year, Give it a year and it will be ghost town.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:34 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Sorry asitshoulbe, but the oil fields are NOT closing up. The number of wells have remained steady, as has the flow of oil. There are nearly 900 well pads waiting to be fracked, but all depends on the price of oil. There ARE some layoffs, but it is still by no means a bust. It is definitely a slowdown in North Dakota, as is all over the WORLD. There will be no ghost town, there will be no oilfields "closing up" (what ever that means???) but until the price of oil increases, there will be a slowdown. But as you speak about ghost towns, places like Williston, Watford City, Tioga, Stanley, etc... continue to build and prepare for the future...because there is still a future in oil (a commodity) just like there will always be a future in farming and ranching (also commodities) that have their up years and down years.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:24 PM

62 posts, read 123,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Sorry asitshoulbe, but the oil fields are NOT closing up. The number of wells have remained steady, as has the flow of oil. There are nearly 900 well pads waiting to be fracked, but all depends on the price of oil. There ARE some layoffs, but it is still by no means a bust. It is definitely a slowdown in North Dakota, as is all over the WORLD. There will be no ghost town, there will be no oilfields "closing up" (what ever that means???) but until the price of oil increases, there will be a slowdown. But as you speak about ghost towns, places like Williston, Watford City, Tioga, Stanley, etc... continue to build and prepare for the future...because there is still a future in oil (a commodity) just like there will always be a future in farming and ranching (also commodities) that have their up years and down years.
Right on the money, - I'm kinda enjoying the slowdown to a more normal pace for the time being. It will be busy again soon enough, so just enjoying it while I can!

Old 09-27-2015, 12:12 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Kind of hard to know what is happening on the other side of the State/ I'm much closer to Fargo.

I appreciate the input, been wondering what is happening out on the west side

Old 10-02-2015, 09:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Kind of hard to know what is happening on the other side of the State/ I'm much closer to Fargo.

I appreciate the input, been wondering what is happening out on the west side
I feel like others are painting a much prettier picture than what I've seen. I work, but it's not oil related. Several coworkers have had spouses laid off. Many are leaving for back home. They're laying off in small groups as to avoid reporting to the state. I have a friend who's husband works in fracking, he hasn't been on a job since April and his company FINALLY. Sold off a huge chunk of their fleet and laid off several crews. Frack is almost dead. My own husband works a job where not all of the work is dependent on new wells, that being said they had a 4 week period where not one of them worked over 50 hours a week, their normal week is wel over 70 hours. Lay offs are constant. There are literally thousands of empty apartments, hundreds of empty houses.

It may not be a ghost town and it may not be permanent, but anyone who hasn't bothered to establish themselves here is packing up and leaving. Considering it was always a town in transition, that's a good chunk of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston