Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM

280 posts, read 648,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
All I said is that some people are thinking the same derisive thoughts about Milwaukee and the people who live there as you have about Green Bay and its residents.I didn't say I agree with them -- I've got nothing against Milwaukee even though I'm not particularly enamored with the place. But boy it sure did put you on the defensive.
Someone got defensive after someone else went out of their way to offend them? Wow, imagine that! But I'm sure that that "people in real cities" crack wasn't meant to be inflammatory or give an impression of your judgment. I'm sure you have plenty to add to this discussion despite still having yet to give anything resembling an opinion of Green Bay in a thread about opinions of Green Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Don't worry though, I'm totally convinced that you're comfortable with your situation.
LOL, seriously dude... don't flatter yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 PM

68 posts, read 135,354 times
This is for MovingonMom, if the back and forth banter of the last 3 pages does not give you a clue at what it would be like to live in Wisconsin then I don't know what could be. Trust me when I say it is not just Green Bay, it is the whole freaking State. My husband and I could not wait to get out of there, in fact we headed straight into a blizzard and did not care because we want to leave so bad.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
Someone got defensive after someone else went out of their way to offend them? Wow, imagine that! But I'm sure that that "people in real cities" crack wasn't meant to be inflammatory or give an impression of your judgment. I'm sure you have plenty to add to this discussion despite still having yet to give anything resembling an opinion of Green Bay in a thread about opinions of Green Bay.

LOL, seriously dude... don't flatter yourself.
Just giving you a taste of your own medicine there buddy. If you can't take it, don't dispense it.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 AM

15 posts, read 46,090 times
I moved to GB a few years ago and am about to move out. How you feel about GB depends on what stage you are in your life. If you're young and looking for a city with a vibrant nightlife, culture, diversity, music & arts scene, look elsewhere. That's just not GB and I think both lovers and haters of the city would agree with that point. If you want a low drama, low stress city to raise children, then GB is where you go. Unfortunately, that's the city's only strength but you can't deny that it's s great place to raise children...it's just not for me

Old 01-02-2011, 11:17 PM

131 posts, read 209,176 times
Honestly, it seems like a terrible place to raise children. There is no diversity of population, culture, or thought.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:47 AM

132 posts, read 279,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljbadd View Post
I moved to GB a few years ago and am about to move out. How you feel about GB depends on what stage you are in your life. If you're young and looking for a city with a vibrant nightlife, culture, diversity, music & arts scene, look elsewhere. That's just not GB and I think both lovers and haters of the city would agree with that point. If you want a low drama, low stress city to raise children, then GB is where you go. Unfortunately, that's the city's only strength but you can't deny that it's s great place to raise children...it's just not for me
I agree with this 100%, it really depends upon what stage of life you are at.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM

365 posts, read 780,012 times
Green Bay's ethnic diversity isn't it's strong suit, but hey, this is Wisconsin afterall. City-Data's 2009 population estimates show the percentage of the white population of the following cities as Green Bay 76.9%; Madison 79.2%; Appleton 85.5%; Kenosha at 73.0%. I was actually surprised to see Green Bay is less white than Madison.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,673 times
Wow -- quite a spirited discussion here.

I've lived in a lot of places over the years, from a city in Alabama (and you thought there was no such animal) to a rural hamlet in Vermont (if you wait long enough, the snow gives way to mud season and black flies) to backwater Florida ("Wait -- the Civil War is OVER?!") to Appalachia ("Loh-RETT-uh!!!") to suburban Washington, DC ("a city that combines Northern charm with Southern efficiency") to suburban New York City [insert sound effects of dogs-eating-dogs, the crunch of people stepping all over one another in their ruthless quests for the top, cash register noises and the odor of something rotten emanating from the state capitol, and a voice that keeps yelling "The rent's too damn high!"].

In each place I've found things to hate and things to love. I've found people who were appallingly narrow-minded (such as a librarian in New England who confided to me that when she visited the South, she was amazed at the number of "dark" people) and people who were refreshingly different. I've found grains of truth in stereotypes and redeeming qualities in the most unlikely places (such as a town in New Jersey where I was regularly treated to the stench of a nearby landfill but got to enjoy one of the nicest libraries imaginable).

I'm both realistic and optimistic in terms of Green Bay -- realistic because I believe there's truth in what ALL of you say , and optimistic because I think of moving to a new place as an adventure -- and if I can have an adventure surrounded by the people I love (i.e., my family), sign me up.

But I do hope you'll continue your discussion of the, um, good, bad, and ugly of Green Bay.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 AM

19 posts, read 54,965 times
I used to live in Green Bay, WI back in 2001-2003. I loved it there, but I was coming from a much much smaller town in the UP. I have since moved to Columbia, MO (similar population size, much much much more diverse), graduated with two degrees and am just staring my family (1yr old and another on the way). My family is in the UP (lower parts, Stephenson to be exact) and the closer I can get to them the better. Problem is there isn't much money the more North I go, also, my wife is finishing her PhD and is looking for Universities to work at so the UP offers nothing for both of us. I would move back to Green Bay if it offered work for both me and my wife. It does seemed to have declined some since we moved away in 03. I think my wife would be happier in Milwaukee or Madison as they have the larger city feel and more diverse culture.

The only bad thing I have to say about Green Bay is the industrial smell, but you get used to it and don't notice it

Enjoy!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

137 posts, read 454,438 times
Wow! All this talk about GB is disheartening. My husband and I too are possibly planning a move to Wisconsin for a job. He had been laid off for nearly a year, so this isn't a "want" to move as much as it is a "need" to move.

The job is located in Marinette but after reading forums and talking to real estate agents there really isn't much up that way - even going across the river to Menominee, MI, but one agent suggested Green Bay, even with the 45 minute commute. So I get on here and look up topics with Green Bay and get blown away by this one.

We are not young - just got the last of the kids graduated from high school and off to college - so we are not into nightlife but are into fishing, relaxing, dining, etc. Any positive notes on that? And any areas in the northern part of Green Bay to look at house-wise to shorten the commute to Marinette? Thanks for all the comments. I have enjoyed reading them as they are informative.

And MovingOnMom, I hope you are having luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin