Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM

73 posts, read 215,894 times

Advertisements

I was really impressed with Piano Blu in Pewaukee (on Pewaukee Lake) when my husband and I went there to celebrate his birthday in Aug. 2010.

Service was knowledgeable without being stuffy, the food was excellent, the atmosphere was quite nice (ask for a table by the window). I think they have outdoor dining, but we were there during a rainstorm, so I'm not positive. The fidello, a pasta and seafood dish with a sauce that was reminiscent of bouillabaisse, was fantastic and well-priced considering the quantity and quality of the seafood. If I had any complaint it would be that the live piano was a hair too loud for dinner conversation.

The clientele was mostly middle-aged and young retirees - we were the youngest by far being in our early 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 04:38 PM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
my favorite restaurant on earth, hands down, is Wasabi in Brookfield. the staff are all GREAT, their food makes my eyes water it's so good, and they have nice a little bar too :-) look it up, they have a website. they serve awesome mouth watering japanese cuisine. you'll be surprised by what that actually means!
go there and order the Flaming Dragon if you like pyrotechnics in your food :-) they have excellent Saki. also great chicken teriyaki for the squeamish. the filet mignon is always a safe bet, it's EXCELLENT. the largest variety of quality authentic sushi i've ever seen. they serve everything artistically, and everything there is the best thing i've ever tasted. casual atmosphere, anyone can go there. i know people that have business meetings there, i've seen a priest there, college kids, suits and ties, ripped jeans and tshirts, i've brought 5 kids under 11 there to eat and it was all fine. it's laid back and stylish but not silent and proper. the staff is all soooo friendly and you'll probably be visited by the chef at some point during your meal. sometimes they send complimentary stuff to your table just to be friendly and fun :-) we always tip very well there, it's such a pleasant experience every time :-)

you will not regret trying this restaurant!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,177 times
Having been a truck driver for many years, I take issue with establishments that started out with trucks helping to keep their business going, Like Paul Bunyan's in Northern Wi. And, then when they are successful, arrange so that trucks can not stop there anymore. I don't care how good they may make the food, that place has been off my list for years. On the other hand, there are also some very excellent restaurants that not only cater to truck drivers, but also to the average family, and the prices won't make you lose your appetite.

It's called "51 TRUCK STOP", and it's north of Wausau on US-51. If you order off the menu, the portions are generous, and the food is done to perfection. If you're looking for a fancy meal, look elsewhere. If you're looking to get your money's worth, try it.

West of Abbotsford, in Curtis, WI is ABBEYLAND TRUCK STOP. Again, you're not going to get a fancy meal, but the food is excellent, the portions are generous, and the balance of seasoning is just right. While you're there, check out the "C" store. You can take home some of the best sausages in the country.

Going west of Wausau, when you get to US-45, you'll see "WILDERNESS CROSSING". Easily compares to the other two, and in the "C" store, there are more goodies from another meat processing plant. Some of the best bacon you ever want to fry up the next morning.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
We haven't done as much traveling throughout the state as I'd wish, but we've found a few gems anyway.

Digger's Sting in La Crosse is an exceptionally fine restaurant. We took our younger kid there for his college graduation dinner this past December, and the food was simply fantastic - oh, my. The steaks melted in your mouth, and the evening specials are always fascinating. Very comprehensive bar, with some interesting and unique drinks. The wait staff is friendly, attentive, accommodating, and very knowledgeable about the menu. It's fairly pricey, but well worth it for a special event.

Quivey's Grove in Verona is high on the list of our Madison-area favorites. They seem to strike a good balance between traditional Midwestern fare and the kind of creativity that you expect in a high-end gourmet place. We've taken visitors from all across the country there and they have always been impressed.

The Old Feed Mill in Mazomanie is another that we like a lot. They have a grilled walleye pike that is to die for, and their desserts are outstanding. Kind of a rustic atmosphere, and the waitstaff is all local, small-town types, but they are exceptionally friendly and attentive.

I know that the whole of Door County is seen as a single massive tourist trap, and while I'll admit that there's some merit in that view, there are a few gems there that we enjoy every time we visit. The Sister Bay Cafe is one of them - a very unassuming name for a simply wonderful Norwegian restaurant. It's very plain and pretty small, with probably no more than 20 or so tables in the place, but a meal there is always one of the culinary highlights of a Door County vacation.

And on a hot summer's night when you really want a cool, high-quality microbrew and a plateful of superlative pub food, the ONLY place to go is the biergarten at the original Great Dane in downtown Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin