Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Haha I absolutely love this weather, I love this humidity even though I cannot feel it like other people can. I hear people say ugh this humidity and I always have to ask is it humid out? I am lucky where the humidity just doesn't bother me. Today it's 84 out and the weather forecast comes on with this "heat advisory" what is that? uh yeah it is summer out and therefore it will be warm, I am just waiting for the "cloud advisory". Seriously people stop whining it is not that bad out. Tonight it is 84 and supposedly really humid but if you ask me 84 at night is perfect.

People around here complain about the winter and the moment it hits 80 everyone starts freaking out, I just do not get it. Drink enough water the night before and during the day and you will feel fine. If you wait until it is hot to start drinking water your body is just playing catch up.

Heat really used to bother me when I was younger but spend some time down in the swamps of Louisiana and a year in Florida then you can complain about it being hot.

It is not hot out, it is warm but not hot.
Well, that is your opinion of course. It is not just warm out, it's hot out. And drinking water doesn't matter as to how hot you feel. Great that it doesn't bother you, however it bothers many others.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,034,485 times
i think it's not only how one acclimates to their weather conditions but the frame of mind they have as well. In my 45 yrs in WI, over time i went from tolerating winter and disliking the 'heat' to hating winter's cold/snow and finding i enjoyed true summer conditions and what i could do out in them (compared to winter activities).
The past 4+ yrs we've been in SC, and i found i quickly got used to the southern summer to the point that it takes a high heat index day for us to keep the top up on the car. But that's just us, as when we were back in WI the past 2 weeks helping our daughter's family move i was barely breaking a sweat yet our son in law was dripping water by the buckets lol.

guess i'd add a basic comparison. Right now here it is 96 with a HI of 103; on a day like this i can still sit on my screen porch, turn on the ceiling fan, and enjoy some time 'outdoors'. The flip side for us would have been winter in WI, where we wouldnt be sitting out on our porch in the harsher cold days, doing anything lol

Last edited by ranger17; 07-17-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,172,676 times
I like how people assume that the same people complaining about record summer heat are also complaining about winter. Not me. I like winter just fine. I'll bet Milwaukee City is complaining about winter to everyone in earshot, however. I grew up in northern Door County and never experienced these temperatures growing up, so for me this is brutal weather.

I never taunt anyone who says it's too cold out in the winter, so why is it OK for those same folks to ride everyone when we get southern heat (90s and humid)?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I like how people assume that the same people complaining about record summer heat are also complaining about winter. Not me. I like winter just fine. I'll bet Milwaukee City is complaining about winter to everyone in earshot, however. I grew up in northern Door County and never experienced these temperatures growing up, so for me this is brutal weather.

I never taunt anyone who says it's too cold out in the winter, so why is it OK for those same folks to ride everyone when we get southern heat (90s and humid)?
The only thing I complain about usually with winter is that it & summer are too long, can't enjoy fall or spring (the best seasons in my opinion) because they're gone in the blink of an eye, and also since I usually walk everywhere, I deal with icy & snow filled streets or sidewalks because people can't be bothered to clean up the sidewalk in front of their place. It's beyond irritating.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:

I have to agree with this one as well. I have a friend who really does not like winter, yet if I ***** about this godawful heat & humidity that is going on right now, he's always gotta be right there with a response: "I'm fine, not really hot at all. I LOVE this weather!" Annoying.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,669,176 times
Quote:
Orange/San Diego have the best weather in the country (world?), though I enjoy cool/cold weather (love Fall the best). I don't like the area culturally, however. I've worked a lot down there over the years and never took to it.
Maybe try Monterey? Should be about 10 degrees cooler in the fall and not quite as pretentious.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,135,541 times
Quote:
I'll bet Milwaukee City is complaining about winter to everyone in earshot,

You got that right, I am down right a pain in the butt because I cannot stop complaining about winter. I annoy myself with all my winter complaining. It's like I was born to kvetch, at least in winter. I question everyone who lives here in the winter why they live here and I ask to be honest with themselves, do you really truly enjoy winter? and I get a lot of yes's.

Good point on the second part of your quote. I still think this 90F is still easier to deal with than say 7F and windy and snowy.

People always say "In winter you can always put on more clothes or move around and do stuff to keep you warm while in the heat you cannot take anything off and even if you're sitting still it's way to hot and humid."

My response to that is, You could dress me up like A Christmas Story and I am still freezing cold. To me the cold gets into your bones and no matter what I do I am still cold. I have to take hot showers just to warm up and that doesn't work either.

Everybody reacts different to everything but I still think it is easier to live life in Florida than it is in Wisconsin.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,172,676 times
For me, Wisconsin is much easier, but like you said, everyone is different. I just don't understand why everyone gets chided if they say they are uncomfortable when the temperatures are hotter than you would expect in the region. I purposely live in Wisconsin because I'm a northerner who prefers cool temperatures. Why are these people who love hot/humid weather here?

Hyperion, I'm researching different areas and Monterey is on the list. I'll eventually start posing questions on the US board when it gets a little closer. Somewhere between the Bay Area and LA, but far enough away from both to be outside the rat race a bit. I don't know much about that region, but I've spent a lot of time in the LA-San Diego stretch and I'm not into it.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 PM

40 posts, read 76,348 times
The Midwest:

Worst weather in the country.
Worst scenery in the country.

The hospitals are chock full of folks impacted by this heat. 95 today with a "feels like" of well over 100. this is not the nice dry heat of the west. This stuff just nails you. Combine this with the obsession with all the lawn chemical spraying in this area, and the massive use of pesticides across the farms, plus the exhaust of millions of cars, and it makes for a very disgusting environment.

But hey, no worries! It will be 10 degrees in a few months.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM

298 posts, read 705,071 times
Enders-glad you hate the Midwest so you'll stay FAR away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin