Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
What do we do? We don't parade in the name of our sexuality. We don't do anything. That's all you guys, trying to shove acceptance down other peoples throats that don't need to accept you just to make you feel better. Unless you are swaying your butt around when you walk and talk with a fake, unmedically founded lisp, then people are not going to be so damn annoyed by you!

What is it that straight people do exactly??
Lol. I think this guy assumes everyone defending gay marriage in this thread is gay. Bigots are so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 12:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Thank you, kindly. But I'll bet if Christians started having their own bar mitzvahs, someone might have a problem with that.
Why would there be a problem? No Jewish people would be forced to attend.

Same principle as a gay wedding ceremony. No one is forced to attend and it does not affect you. It is opponents of gay marriage that are trying to impose their will on everyone else IMO. Marriage rights between a man and a woman are not affected.

BTW, I think there are Christian traditions that are somewhat similar to bar mitzvah. Some families do a little party or gathering of friends after a young person has been baptized, confirmed or finished catechism.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:04 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Lol. I think this guy assumes everyone defending gay marriage in this thread is gay. Bigots are so sad.
Right, I'm straight and all I care about is giving everyone a fair shake.

Pretty sure this is yet another "milt" character, though. He's had a lot of them over the months (and probably years).

Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
You assume a lot about me. Would you believe I have gay friends? I also have friends that are now nuns. I also have atheist friends. None of them have accused me of anything of the sort.

If it was about equal protection, we wouldn't have a problem. It's about infringing on others. I'm so tired of the ones accusing others of oppression are in fact the oppressors.

I can see that you are pulling mediocre liberal tactics in the debate. Waste of time. You are as narrow minded as you would like to think that I am. I'm not wasting my time anymore.
Open minded and fair statements followed by a question for you:

If gay people were ever to try and prevent opposite sex couples from marrying, I believe I would be among the first to speak against it. By the same token, I disagree with those who attempt to obstruct the civil right of same sex couples to marry. No one is forced to attend either opposite sex or same sex marriages. I call this fair, sensible and even handed treatment. Not liberal or conservative.

Food for thought: Even in 2014, we occasionally will see on the news people that carry signs at demonstrations saying "God hates ****". When is the last time you saw someone holding a sign that says "God hates straight people"? I have never seen one. I am a straight supporter of legal same sex marriage and a supporter of continuing legal opposite sex marriage (that has been legal since the very start of our nation back in the 1700's).

Nonetheless, I should feel oppressed, right? LOL. I don't think so.

Question: How does the legal marriage of a same sex couple harm you?

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-23-2014 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 01:24 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Question: How does the legal marriage of a same sex couple harm you?

It is interesting. I lived and still live in MA when gay marriage was legalized. There were people crying that their straight marriage would be devalued; that it wouldn't mean as much, and it would affect straight people in that they'd be less willing to get married because the term marriage was degraded.

Ten years later. You can't find a person that opposes it vocally, and it hasn't had a negative impact at all. Total non issue.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is interesting. I lived and still live in MA when gay marriage was legalized. There were people crying that their straight marriage would be devalued; that it wouldn't mean as much, and it would affect straight people in that they'd be less willing to get married because the term marriage was degraded.

Ten years later. You can't find a person that opposes it vocally, and it hasn't had a negative impact at all. Total non issue.
Praise should definitely go to the people of Massachusetts for making legal same sex marriage a reality and exposing that myth for what it is. Congrats to Massachusetts on ten years of legalized same sex marriage! It was the first state to do so. (You already knew that, but for the benefit of other posters who may not know that).

Old 06-23-2014, 02:28 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Praise should definitely go to the people of Massachusetts for making that a reality and exposing that myth for what it is. Congrats to Massachusetts on ten years of legalized same sex marriage! It was the first state to do so. (You already knew that, but for the benefit of other posters who may not know that).
I guarantee someone will come on & start insulting Massachusetts for who knows why but they'll get it in by golly!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I guarantee someone will come on & start insulting Massachusetts for who knows why but they'll get it in by golly!
The Boston Red Sox are really struggling this year (35-41; 4th place AL East). They really need to raise their game. The Milwaukee Brewers have a better chance at making it to the World Series this year (47-30; 1st place NL Central).

There...I saved them the time and gave a compliment to a Wisconsin team in the process! Sorry for the insult, though. LOL.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
The Boston Red Sox are really struggling this year (35-41; 4th pl AL East). They really need to raise their game. The Milwaukee Brewers have a better chance at making it to the World Series this year (47-30; 1st pl NL Central).

There... I saved them the time and gave a compliment to a Wisconsin team in the process! Sorry for the insult, though. LOL.

I like the sox, and they did get another WS last year, but I have to say, the only team I'm passionate at all about are the Badgers. Brewers fans can talk when they've won in the past decade.

On Wisconsin!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have to say, the only team I'm passionate at all about are the Badgers. Brewers fans can talk when they've won in the past decade.

On Wisconsin!
Have the Badgers (football & basketball) won in the past decade or since 1942?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin