Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following is more idiotic?
Banning gays from marrying 27 46.55%
Banning the smoking of marijuana 21 36.21%
Banning prostitution 10 17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,183 times

Advertisements

Which of these bans is more idiotic and why? Tyia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 PM

wow 3 way tie

Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,634 times
Yeah I chose banning prostition, but not by an overwhelming consenus. I am against drugs too, but really if you are going to allow people to legally fornicate, why not at least allow them to make some money. Fornication is sin, whether you charge for it or not. And who am I to say that there is some poor, uneducated young woman who was forced from home, with no other way to make decent money? The gov't just doesn't like people to make easy ,money, they have to complicate it.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 PM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,634 times
Well it is only hypothetical anyway, as I wouldn't want to legalize any of them.

Hey, why dont you replace alcohol for marijuana in the poll?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:49 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,516,684 times
Banning gays from marriage is a human rights violation
Banning pot is stupid because it is a victimless crime
Banning prostitution is a good thing because it is the only choice of the 3 here that has victims. The kid(s) of the perverts involved, the spouse, the ones who may contract a venereal disease down the line. All these problems caused by one thinking they just have to have sex! What a shame

Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Banning gays from marriage is a human rights violation
Banning pot is stupid because it is a victimless crime
Banning prostitution is a good thing because it is the only choice of the 3 here that has victims. The kid(s) of the perverts involved, the spouse, the ones who may contract a venereal disease down the line. All these problems caused by one thinking they just have to have sex! What a shame
Well, if the pervert has kids, he's going to get his fix anyway.

The problem is, our good intentions don't always make good policy.

Seems it would be safer to legalize it.

Yes, there are bad consequences. But you have to put your emotions aside and think rationally about - does banning it do ***any*** good? Putting people in jail is only good to the extent it deters bad conduct, and so even if you think prostitution has victims and is therefore bad (although we could make it legal for unmarried persons - require license, etc.) it still doesn't deter anybody because of the minute detection rates.

So we have an unregulated, highly dangerous job (for both women - pimps, serial killers, diseases), because it's illegal. I just don't see the good making it illegal achieves. By making it legal you protect both johns and the prostitutes (Bunny Ranch example).

Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
I really don't see a point in banning any of those.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
What about the kids involved in gay relationships and the STDs contracted in the gay community? Everybody here likes to paint the gay lifestyle as innocent and monogamous, but that is not how most gays operate.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Banning people from smoking pot is the most difficult thing to be successful at, thus that is the most stupid endeavor.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
You need to add a neither option. I have no problems with all 3 and what people do with their private lives, even though I would not do either of the 3 (asthma=no pot, not into marriage, afraid of disease=no prostitutes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies