Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 AM

719 posts, read 987,832 times

Advertisements

It's depressing to see majority rule overturned by a single individual with an agenda. I have no comment on the actual marriage issue, but if Wisconsinites wanted gay marriage to be legal, they would have voted it into being. This country is heading in dangerous directions. You can damn well bet that when some judge decides to pull this nonsense in Alabama (or if the Texas judge's ruling ever goes into effect), you'll see secession before people adhere. Contrary to what the left believes, you cannot force people to accept or welcome or embrace what they don't want to. And, even if you could, is a forced tolerance real tolerance?

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 06-07-2014 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 03:27 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
You can damn well bet that when some judge decides to pull this nonsense in Alabama (or if the Texas judge's ruling ever goes into effect), you'll see secession before people adhere. Contrary to what the left believes, you cannot force people to accept or welcome or embrace what they don't want to. And, even if you could, is a forced tolerance real tolerance?
Rofl. Is this a quote from some Jefferson Davis speech??

The last time there was secession was because of a bunch hate fueled bigotry in the south. Guess things haven't changed much in Alabama.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:37 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
It's depressing to see majority rule overturned by a single individual with an agenda. I have no comment on the actual marriage issue, but if Wisconsinites wanted gay marriage to be legal, they would have voted it into being. This country is heading in dangerous directions. You can damn well bet that when some judge decides to pull this nonsense in Alabama (or if the Texas judge's ruling ever goes into effect), you'll see secession before people adhere. Contrary to what the left believes, you cannot force people to accept or welcome or embrace what they don't want to. And, even if you could, is a forced tolerance real tolerance?
That's nice, but in a free society, people have rights regardless of the will of the majority. When atheists finally become the majority in the US, should they have the right to ban people's religion on the basis that the violence and bigotry it produces offends them?

Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Sure it is .
I'm not saying to go out picketing or to scream at homosexuals, but we shouldn't approve of an unhealthy lifestyle by celebrating that gay marriage is now legal. I use self control & try to make healthy choices every day. It's not like homosexuals can't control themselves. Give them some respect.

I'm straight. My orientation is not a choice, nor is it a "lifestyle", it is who I am. I could choose not to have sex, but the hell if I'm going to make that choice. I just do it safely.

I too would be depressed and probably suicidal if people hated me for who I am and family rejected me and society viewed me as a second class citizen.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:57 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
So heterosexuals never engage in risky behavior? And you never answered my question: when did you choose to be straight?
They do as well & education should be provided, but if you look at the previous statistics I posted on suicide, AIDS, depression, anxiety, you will see that gay people by far lead the way in risky behavior & that homosexuality is dangerous.

I'm heterosexual, but everyday I have to make healthy choices. I know lots of pretty ladies, but I have to make a choice to not engage in sex outside of marriage. Some people make the choice of not having any sex until marriage. A person with type I diabetes never chooses to have diabetes, but every day they better choose to not engage in their wishes & eat lots of carbs or they could die.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
So why not campaign against the right of diabetics to marry? After all, they're a huge drain on the healthcare system.
Because the healthcare system is already advising diabetics about the dangers of carbs.

American society is not correctly advising gay people. We're doing the opposite thing by embracing them. It would be like ignoring all of the stats behind diabetes including the higher risk of an early death, higher hospitalization, higher rates of sickness etc etc, & then telling a diabetic that - oh, it's OK. You were born this way, so go ahead & eat 3 large jelly donuts for breakfast everyday & have a bowl of pasta for lunch followed by 3 cookies. Then we wonder why they have mental health problems or high rates of hospitalization & people say, oh, it's because we didn't support them enough & let them eat more donuts .

Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMilwaukeeInSeattle View Post
Yeah I get that part but either way if gay marriage is legal or not you're going to wind up paying for that. I'm heterosexual and have met many other heterosexual people with serious STD's like HIV/AIDS and they didn't have insurance, yet I see no backlash from you there. I just find it odd that you are looking at gay marriage from a health and economic issue rather than a human rights issue.
Yes, there are many concerns for tax payers, American society etc & homosexuality is just 1 among many.

If you look at the previous stats I posted you will see that there is an HIV epidemic among homosexuals.

3/4 of all new HIV infections, & 2/3 of all new infections involve homosexuals.

I'm a grad students & therefore I see a lot of gays on campus. I care for them. It's alarming to me that over 50% of gay students will have HIV by the time they are 50. That's an epidemic that needs addressing.

LifeSiteNews Mobile | CDC warns gay men of ‘epidemic’ HIV rates

Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Sure it is .
I'm not saying to go out picketing or to scream at homosexuals, but we shouldn't approve of an unhealthy lifestyle by celebrating that gay marriage is now legal. I use self control & try to make healthy choices every day. It's not like homosexuals can't control themselves. Give them some respect.
You have to realize how ironic and backwards everything you're saying is. You're making a statement, and in doing so pointing out exactly what the other side is saying. It's like you're calling yourself out.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with you. It's their lives they're fighting for, not yours.

Part of the reason they deal with all those things in your first post is because of having to deal with people like you in their lives - trying to tell them that who they are as a person is "wrong" as if they ever had a choice. Like they should just sit out life in the corner because god forbid it might disrupt your existence.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 AM

432 posts, read 544,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
There should be equal rights for everyone. It's not right to pick and choose. It's about time.
ummmm, who said they don't have 'equal rights'? next thing you know, you'll say something silly along the lines of not letting minors get abortions w/o their parents' consent is some sort of 'war on women' and 'against healthcare for women'.....

there's some really thoughtless, silly propaganda out there.....

Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 AM

432 posts, read 544,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMilwaukeeInSeattle View Post
Honestly who cares if gay marriage is "immoral." It's not their choice.
you're right, it is their choice whether or not to be 'married' to someone. i've never been married, but have had 2 'domestic partners' in my life. i don't see what the big deal is. the one i'm with now, she has all the rights as if she were my 'wife on paper'. there was no gender check off box on the paperwork we filled out.

but i guess i just don't have an agenda to force other people to accept my life and who i am.

i'm not a leftist, and i'm not gay, so i don't have a double dose of intolerance and anger.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin