Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGooFan View Post
You have people from bordering states (*ahem) buying $100k "weekend getaways" which certainly does not help...
Uh, well, actually it DOES help because in many localities "weekend getaway" homes are taxed at a higher rate to provide tax relief to full-time residents. Additionally, "weekend getaway" owners place less of a burden on the services those taxes are paying for. The taxes on my family's vacation home aren't paying to educate MY kids. They're paying to educate YOURS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 09:21 AM

26 posts, read 116,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uh, well, actually it DOES help because in many localities "weekend getaway" homes are taxed at a higher rate to provide tax relief to full-time residents. Additionally, "weekend getaway" owners place less of a burden on the services those taxes are paying for. The taxes on my family's vacation home aren't paying to educate MY kids. They're paying to educate YOURS.
Uh, well actually I don't have any kids...
Furthermore, my lake property taxes go up every year, due to the "weekend getaway" owners flocking to the property on this lake. (unlike others I know on different lakes- where prop isn't available to "weekend getaway" owners)

Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 PM

153 posts, read 711,471 times
Quote:

I think you vastly overestimate the amount of taxes paid by out of state residents in Northern Wisconsin... as well as the importance of out of state residents in the area. You have to remember a considerable amount (more than half) of real estate is owned by Wisconsin residents.

Most of the out of staters purchase smallers homes or build upon exsisting lands, driving up realestate prices, while minimizing the effect on property taxes. Lastly, the property taxes in Northern Wisconsin are MUCH better than in the southern areas around Madison and Milwaukee.

Finally it's not really the property taxes that drive the economy in NW. It's the tourism dollars spent at the shops, renting boats, and at the supper clubs near the lakes.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 259,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGooFan View Post
Uh, well actually I don't have any kids...
Furthermore, my lake property taxes go up every year, due to the "weekend getaway" owners flocking to the property on this lake. (unlike others I know on different lakes- where prop isn't available to "weekend getaway" owners)
You taxes go up every year because schools and local government need more money. And, because your property value is increasing at a greater rate than non lake front property.

How in the world can property not be available to "weekend getaway"owners???

Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 AM

46 posts, read 259,369 times
Quote:

I find that very hard to believe that non residents are taxed at a differnet rate than locals!!

Old 11-20-2006, 11:32 AM

26 posts, read 116,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'Goshboy View Post
You taxes go up every year because schools and local government need more money. And, because your property value is increasing at a greater rate than non lake front property.

How in the world can property not be available to "weekend getaway"owners???
I know that! HOWEVER, I have 2 friends on different lakes and their taxes do not go up nearly as much as mine. I am certain their property value is increasing as well?

There is no property available on those lakes- PERIOD...not just "weekend getaway" owners. LOL

Old 01-29-2007, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,323 times
Default CO to WI

This is too funny..We had a chance to go to CO and went there to take a look at homes with a realtor. Job would of been in Broomfield, CO...There is no way we could afford it there. The homes don't have any property at all. Yes, here in WI we pay higher taxes, but we have wonderful school systems by far. I have lived out East and down South and nothing comes close fo WI. We love it here. We only paid 1,100.00 in GA for a 2000 sq. ft home, but the school system there was the pitts. It's all relative. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobi1070 View Post
Just moved here from Colorado (Suburb southwest of Denver) and trying to get acclamated to Wisconsin. I have to say, now that I see property taxes are ridiculously high, we don't plan on buying property anytime soon. People continue to tell me taxes are high due to Madison having good schools. Our property taxes in Colorado were only $1900 annually and we lived in a nice area that offered an excellent school district. So why are the property taxes so flippin high, really? I'm not seeing any justification for Wisconsin to have the highest property taxes in the nation. Not getting it.

In addition, I can't believe people are asking mid $200,000's for a house that's not even 1500 sqft on a small lot. It's no wonder, houses are staying on the market here for close to a year. Because people are overpaying for the house to begin with. Very strange. It's pretty much a buyers market across the nation, but I find it hard to believe people are asking so much for a dinky little house.

Dude ...I have a small bit of news for you - you moved for EXACTLY the wrong reasons. You are totally backwards...now if you moved to Chicago with that excuse I'd believe you. There is NOTHING in Wisconsin that will improve your career. I in fortune 50....no way do we hire anyone up there.

Aside from that I used to live there (already employed by my current company) I thought I'd take advantage of what seemed to be same thing (except for career) you thought. I got out by the skin of my teeth those damn B*******.

They will take money out of your pocket at every chance they can. Also a HUGE hint - in comparison to Wisconsin ONLY the schools where you live are great....now compare to the rest of the country. We have found several districts in several states that make Wisconsin schools look like it's Arkansas.

Good Luck you are in the "land of the lost" - which before you cheeseheads get mad -

If you weren't born in Wisconsin you really don't belong there, you never ever will handle it.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 PM

80 posts, read 562,751 times
I agree with the original poster; taxes are very high in WI! We lived for a year in Fond du Lac and we were paying $4,000 a year for property taxes on our house. Glad to be back in MN! I can't say how expensive CO is as I've never been there, but WI is ridiculous. We lived in Fond du Lac and everything was ridiculous. City water was $230 every 3 months for water that has radon in it and you can't drink it. Cable TV is expensive. Groceries are expensive. I also agree with the last poster here that unless you are born in WI, you never really fit in. The year in WI was the worst year of my life.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:47 PM

56 posts, read 369,847 times
I, too, agree with the original poster that property taxes in Wisconsin are high. I have a home here in North Central Wisconsin, one that has a market value in the range of about $150,000-175,000 and pay slightly over $4,000 per year in property taxes----to me that's high!

On the other hand, while not born in this state (I'm originally from Michigan), both my family and I have found the people of Wisconsin to be very friendly-----we have always been treated wonderfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin