Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Not only that, but some experts are actually predicting longer and colder winters ahead.
I thought global warming was going to cause warmer winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought global warming was going to cause warmer winters?

I really hope you aren't being serious.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 PM

18 posts, read 16,584 times
I've lived in Wisconsin on the Mississippi although now it's kind of like living in East Germany and being able to see West Germany from my house. I don't mind the cold and the snow and you couldn't pay me to live in the South, anywhere in the South. This is home and this is where I will stay--I don't want to escape to anywhere...yet, unless I become a political refugee seeking asylum in Canada (which still is not South).

Old 09-09-2015, 02:40 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Good for you. I love snow camping (in tent) in January/February.

Tent camping in January?? IN WISCONSIN I cant imagine.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Tent camping in January?? IN WISCONSIN I cant imagine.
I actually haven't been taking a tent for years, and last time I camped in a tent with a tent buddy, it was so hot inside (the buddy forgot to open up all vents) that my sleeping bag could be compromised with all the humidity from our own breath. I prefer a floorless tarp shelter these days, it offers very good ventilation (and I always can roll into a 45ga trash bag if it's too windy).

Even boyscouts do it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klondike_derby), in fact, I remember when my son just joined a troop, new kids weren't considered a real scouts (by older boys) until they slept outside in winter weather. So, even 12-13 year old boys can do it without any problems.

Me and my buddy plan to go for 4 days this year to Nicolette forest, and we plan a few shake down practice runs before the big event. So, if anyone wants to join us, see my other post in "Wisconsin" forum - "Hike in North Kettle Moraine on September 12".

Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Used to winter camp all the time in caves - along the bluffs in Door County, or inside small caves. Also camped in -4 degrees in the MN border waters without a tent (as brrabbit mentions above). We dug a giant hole in the snow and ran a tarp over the top. I think I'm too old for that one at this point! And yes, some of the above was when I was a boy scout, but my dad was big on any sort of camping any time of the year and I was the only one who'd do a lot of it (my mother would take a hotel room any day).

Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM

459 posts, read 475,399 times
I love Wisconsin and the four seasons. I understand not everybody does. I'd gladly move back to Wisconsin and I am trying to do so.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Oh maaan, I remember camping in a tent in the Nicolet National Forest in late November. Was pretty shivery in the morning. Builds character, though. Now I'm getting wimpy. I sat on a cold toilet seat the other morning and almost cried. I think I need to get back to my roots and toughen up.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
My coldest camping night was in California, on July 6th (huh!) I did not take any sleeping bag and it can be darn cold in them mountains at night.

Normally, I sweat during winter camping. My winter gear setup is just that warm (good for -20F) and it's not that cold usually (0-20F).

I like my comfort when it comes to camping, i'm not one of those survival types.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:08 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
and to think i felt cold some years back while camping during late fall bowhunting season here when the snow was flying and frost set in.... and being in my old camper the furnace was struggling to keep the inside temps in the 60's...

i am a wimp, hence why we loved our time in SC lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin