Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why anyone would whine about this is uncertain. Don't like a state that has 4 seasons? By all means, pack up & move to FL where the only season is hot & humid. thank you very much.
No reason to get defensive about an inanimate object.

Grew up there and IMO, very rarely was there (4) seasons.. more like freezing winter with 6 weeks of summer.

Thankfully we all have different tastes in what type of weather we prefer or we'd all be in one spot.
There are many options in between Wisconsin's climate and Florida's.
(I'm no big fan of Florida.. I just couldn't bare the endless winters up there anymore.)

Good luck OP!
If you don't mind cold/overcast, you'll be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post

Grew up there and IMO, very rarely was there (4) seasons.. more like freezing winter with 6 weeks of summer.
I get your point, but for the OP's benefit, I do want to point out that this is a bit of an exaggeration. We have a solid 4 months of winter (Dec-March). We do not have what most people would think of as a real spring, with a gradual warm-up from winter to summer temperatures. Instead throughout April and May the weather seems to switch back and forth between winter and summer, with snow one week, 80 degree temps the next, and snow again the following week. This can be harder to take than winter. Summer lasts from June - August. September-November is usually some of the nicest weather we have with cool, crisp days and very few bugs. Of course, snow is possible in October and November depending on the year.

When it comes down to it, though, we usually have 5-6 months of really nice weather (and more if you love the cold). The warm period is way shorter than in a lot of places in the US, but it isn't quite as short as 6 weeks.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:31 PM

306 posts, read 336,244 times
For those I know who move to Wisconsin, one of their biggest complaints is swimming outside. Wisconsin temperatures don't get very hot (or if they do, it doesn't last), and they can drop relatively low at night - so water in lakes and such don't get as warm as lakes in other parts of the country. Something I never really thought of before, as long as the thermometer said 70 I found the water to be fine, but I know plenty of friends from other places that find that bitterly cold.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:28 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:

Thankfully we all have different tastes in what type of weather we prefer or we'd all be in one spot.
(I'm no big fan of Florida.. I just couldn't bare the endless winters up there anymore.)

Good luck OP!
Actually, weather is not an object.

If you grew up here as you allege, you would know there are 4 seasons. Unfortunately, spring & fall are the shortest yet they exist, most definitely.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:

Good luck OP!
Are we talking Wisconsin here? I thought we were. There are very definitely four seasons. Spring may be a bit short now and then but it still very much exists. Winter is cold and overcast (with some sunny days) but spring, summer and fall are quite sunny. That's talking from experience in both SE and Northern WI.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:45 PM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
We have lived here for 30 years moving from Chicago. I never find the winters that bad. We have dogs that have to be walked daily and we do no matter the weather.
I love spring and summer and wish they were longer. But we still don't mind winter.
Mosquitoes I can deal with but I hate ticks and deer flies.
Love living here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:16 PM

10 posts, read 10,611 times
Quote:

Good luck OP!
I live in La Crosse, so other areas may vary..but we get a solid 4 seasons. I view fall as the shortest. You do acclimate quickly so 50F will feel warm come Feb/March.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:22 PM

174 posts, read 231,729 times
Every year is a little different so you can't categorize that we have exactly the same weather every year. I have lived in WI, OH, NH and now am coming back to WI again for good. Every place I have lived each year can and will be different. I have seen cool summers and warm winters and cold snowy long lasting winters and hot summers that won't end it seems. WI does have 4 seasons it is just that they will vary. Summer is definitely longer than 6 weeks unless you only say 80-90 constitutes summer which it doesn't. Point is that wherever you live people will ***** about how hot, cold ,cool , bugs, etc etc make every place seem crappy. Just enjoy what you have when you have it.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
After over 20 years in the south, we're also moving back to Wis. after retirement, which is soon. We've had it with the heat, and the increasingly crowded, cities, roads etc. At least in the summer, and most of fall, you can go out and enjoy yourself and there are things to do. Certainly not true everywhere.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:38 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Strongly considering coming back to WI as well after a year and a half in TX. Lots of great things about living down here, but we cannot imagine being here long term amongst this ugly landscape, nasty water, and awful summer heat. We absolutely hate it that our kids cannot go outside for any duration and play in the summertime.....that is just something we can't get past. We've agreed that we can endure the winters again in order to have the rest of WI back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin