Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip from North Idaho to the Milwaukee area on Thanksgiving week. Don't want to fly, and Amtrak is a 33.5 hour trip and the same cost as a 25-hour car trip, (gasoline cost). I will be taking Interstate 90 the whole way.

Is the weather such at the end of November that this is not a reasonable trip? My car can handle snow/ice fine, (common winter conditions up here where I live). I would suspect that those in charge do all they can to keep the Interstate open.

Bad idea?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
As a serious road tripper who has done Milwaukee to Sturgis and back in one weekend and Milwaukee to Savannah GA and back in one weekend I can tell you it's doable but only if you're the kinda person who can top of their gas tank and drive 500-600 miles without stopping. That's a long trip I've done a straight 16 hour trip with only stopping for gas and gas station food, it's tough but 25-26 hours from Idaho, I don't know if even I could do that.

As for weather it's normally colder during that part of the year and most likely not snowing but if there is any kind of storm especially in the Dakotas you trip might come to and end, they like to shut down the freeways out there if a storm comes with strong winds causing snow drifts.

But hey if you like excitement and a good challenge go for it, you only live once!

Old 09-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I'm into adventures, so no worries on that part. I was going to make the drive in two days, stopping halfway or just over halfway to get some quick sleep. Maybe I should make it a three-day trip.

It concerns me with your 500-600 miles without stopping comment. I can't do that. Best I can get is a few ticks under 400, downhill with the wind at my back. Are you saying that there are no filling stations for that distance? On an Interstate? Which stretch of I90 would that be?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It concerns me with your 500-600 miles without stopping comment. I can't do that. Best I can get is a few ticks under 400, downhill with the wind at my back. Are you saying that there are no filling stations for that distance? On an Interstate? Which stretch of I90 would that be?

What I meant by that is more that you're a person who can drive on a full tank and not stop, stopping will kill your time and if you need to get out every 200 miles because you're bored it will be a very long trip. As far as gas stations, just fill up at the big cities or pre-planned truck stops. I route my trip before I go so I know where I am stopping and where I am not. Sioux Falls is a nice stop due to a lot of stores and there is a truck stop and a perkins right there. Plus Minnesota, there isn't much in terms of places to stop except for Albert Lea. Just do some pre planning, check your AAA or car insurance to see if they have unlimited towing options in case of a breakdown. Make sure you have breakdown tools and gear to take off a tire if need be. A arctic sleeping bag might not be a bad idea and some food.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:47 PM

Gotcha. Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:07 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
We didnt make that run, but several times a year we would drive back and forth from SC to WI, including trips that included travel over Thanksgiving weekend and over the Christmas week as well. Never seemed to have bad weather coming up for turkey but did hit some snow storms on our way south a couple times after Christmas.
Due to my enjoying a glass or 5 of ice tea we would hit an occasional wayside adding some time lol, but to be honest only once could i handle driving straight thru. Too much eye strain and tension. So we would always make it a 2 day affair, taking our time and stopping along the way for the night.
Gas buddy and trip advisor were our go to apps for best gas and hotel options on the way.
Yeah the hotel added a little cost amd time, but sure was nice arriving fresh and somewhat relaxed.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:44 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
I've made the trip from Wisconsin to Seattle & back 2x. Mountain passes would be my biggest concern that time of year. If it is snowing, the interstates in the midwest will be well maintained & snow is pretty uncommon that time of year here.

The mountain passes scared me when I passed through Northern Idaho on I-90 in late spring. It was raining at the bottom & I wasn't concerned considering I've drove in snow my whole life. The blizzard/freezing rain/ start & stop driving at the top of the pass was a whole another element of driving that gave me some white knuckle driving though. If you're used to that and your car can handle snow fine like you said, then you should be fine.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
You'll be just fine. I've driven from Montana to the U.P. several times and I've never had an issue with traffic or finding gas. Once in 23 hrs straight.

Whether you take 90 or 94 you'll have plenty of options for fuel. Traffic will pick up around the cities (MN and WI) but it should be smooth sailing for the majority of your trip. Of course you know weather can be unpredictable but odds are you won't face anything too harsh. We did battle that monster early season storm across ND a few years ago that killed a bunch of cattle. I think that was in early October .

For what it's worth, I prefer the towns along 94 that would fall roughly midway between ID and MKE for an overnight stay. But if you're just going to stumble into a room, crash, and hit the road in the morning it won't really matter. You could always take one route out and one route back.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:27 PM

UPDATE:

To bring this thread to a close, I just returned from Milwaukee to North Idaho. Made the drive this past Saturday and Sunday. Mostly stuck to I-90. It was rainy Saturday, and right at freezing temps, but there was enough traffic that I didn't need to be concerned about ice on the highway. Once I hit MN, the rain stopped. Kept the cruise control at 70, and nobody seemed to mind much.

More than enough gas stops along the route. Coming back, I spent the night in a Rapid City, SD hotel. Better than trying to drive through the falling snow. Next day through WY and MT was clear. Looks like I just missed the weather. It was a nice visit and wish I could have stayed longer.

Very doubtful I'll make the drive again. Just way too long. Thank goodness for audiobooks.

My heartfelt thanks to all for your help and encouragement. Thank you.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Glad you made it safe. I bet it was pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin