Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 AM

80 posts, read 562,790 times

Advertisements

I agree with AMAX41. We are originally from MN, and we moved three times to further my husband's career. We moved to IN, SC and WI. Indiana was okay. South Carolina was actually pretty nice except for the air pollution in the area we lived, but the year we lived in Wisconsin was the worst year of my life. People were SO unfriendly, and everything was so expensive. I, too, am very glad to be back home in MN. I guess I thought since MN and WI are neighbors and growing up on the Mississippi River right across from WI, I thought they couldn't be that different. Boy, was I wrong! SE WI (La Crosse, etc.) is fine, but eastern WI, no thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM

80 posts, read 562,790 times
Oop! I meant to say SW WI, not SE!

Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,844 times
Default Are my family members not Wisconites?

In another post, it was discussed how people born and raised in Wisconsin don't accept people from outside the area well. I moved there to go to college when I was 18, then was followed by the rest of my family from the northern part of Upper Michigan.

My 23 son was born there, although dosn't live there anymore. I left to go to another area after more than 20 years, and am feeling welcome for the first time. Maybe I felt so excluded because I wasn't a true "Wisconsite", as was my parents, my siblings, grandparents and aunts and uncles who moved down there. But my son was born and raised there, and was also excluded from high school sports, and other local social cliques, as were others from outside the area, becaue his parents didn't run in the circles of the other kids parents who all went to high school together.

So now, is my son a Wisconsite? If he stayed, what would have happened to his children? People didn't migrate to Wisconsin for many years. When the country started to relocate once again, the truth started to show through.

We know it wan't us, as we have been blessed with hundreds of friends and neighbors who are absolutely wonderful and have been nothing but the utmost of welcoming. We love it,and now look back on Wisconsin for those twenty years and thank god we didn't realize how unhappy and isolated we were from healthy friendsships for so long.

Just don't know any other way to put it.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 35,404 times
i've known plenty of people who have moved to Wisconsin and i've never heard of anyone being unhappy with thier experiences here. i've only lived in the la crosse area and madison however......

maybe it's a liberal/conservative thing? the fox valley area tends to be more conservative and the SW and SE portions of the state are more liberal.

do you lean to the left?

Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,555 times
Default differences

The difference between Appleton and La Crosse is like night and day. La Crosse, liberal, diverse, intelligent city government, progressive, friendly people, vibrant downtown. Appleton, consevative, arrogant, horrendous wasteful spending of tax dollars, little diversity and a downtown that consists of a couple of hotels, city hall and bars and more bars. A handful of the wealthy call all the shots. The rest blindly plod along.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:30 AM

656 posts, read 1,310,011 times
I'm not sure if it's a state problem or just a people problem.(the whole rude thing) i live in california and i think people are extremely rude here. people are always trying to pick fights and if you look at someone. they are like what the "F" are you looking at? alot of people push their shopping carts home from the grocery store and leave them on the street corner. we have people who sell fruit on the street corners. big time graffiti and then it's covered and back the next day. i lived in wi. for 3 years and i want to move back. yeah the people were a little cold but, at least they weren't trying to always pick a fight. and they had clean yards! and i guess they have cars -cause i didn't see people walking home from piggly wiggly with a shopping cart.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM
lem

75 posts, read 354,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
The difference between Appleton and La Crosse is like night and day. La Crosse, liberal, diverse, intelligent city government, progressive, friendly people, vibrant downtown. Appleton, consevative, arrogant, horrendous wasteful spending of tax dollars, little diversity and a downtown that consists of a couple of hotels, city hall and bars and more bars. A handful of the wealthy call all the shots. The rest blindly plod along.

For the love of God, I went through some of your other posts. Did someone in Appleton sleep with your wife or kill your dog?You throw out a ton of crap about the city that could apply to any city. I want specifics on why you HATE Appleton. Examples if you will, which you probably won't. And I'm a guy who doesn't like Appleton because they try to outdo GB in everyway.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:14 PM

14 posts, read 35,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem View Post
For the love of God, I went through some of your other posts. Did someone in Appleton sleep with your wife or kill your dog?You throw out a ton of crap about the city that could apply to any city. I want specifics on why you HATE Appleton. Examples if you will, which you probably won't. And I'm a guy who doesn't like Appleton because they try to outdo GB in everyway.
yeah, it seems that mr gregg has some deep personal vendetta against appleton. maybe the city of appleton slept with his wife?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
Why is it that some Wisconsinties in this forum are so ultra sensitive to criticism? People are allowed to have different opinions, and not all of us have positive experiences in the state. Wisconsin is home to many happy residents overall, but by no means is it paradise for all. It is not growing like the sunbelt. Many people prefer a different lifestly, that WI doesn´t offer. I think when people attack someone and blame them personally for not liking Wisconsin, it shows exactly what some people have tried to vent on here. Please, let's be more tolerant of different experiences and perceptions, no one has a monopoly on "what Wisconsin is like."

Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Wisconsin is home to many happy residents overall . . . Many people prefer a different lifestly, that WI doesn´t offer
This is part of the answer to your own question. Those happy residents that DO like Wisconsin and DO like the lifestyle are watching that lifestyle not just get criticized but stereotyped and attacked viciously. I don't even live in Wisconsin and even I get defensive when people express their criticism not just by saying "I don't like it here, the culture isn't for me" but imply or state flat-out things along the lines like "Wisconsinites are nothing but beer-swilling brat-eating adultering drunks." If you lived there you'd probably get defensive too. The tone of one's criticism will greatly affect the responses to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin