Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,569 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'd love any specific advice on where to go, where to eat in Mineral Pt. and the surrounding area for my upcoming trip there.

My Husband and I are originally from northern Illinois and are going "home" to visit the parents October 21-28. We are considering a move back to the Midwest (from Norfolk, Virginia) and I have always been fascinated with Wisconsin. We definitely want to be in a smaller town (2,000-30,000 preferably) I am an artist and am especially drawn to communities that support and encourage the arts and Mineral Pt. sounds almost too perfect!

If any locals can give me some perspective on this wonderful sounding small town, I'd like to hear it...good, bad, ugly, and too wonderful for words, I want to hear it all. Jobs...weather (I already know about the snow...), culture, etc.

Recommendations for other great small towns in the area are invited as well.

Thanks!
Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Melissa,
My reply may not be of to much help, but you should also check out Mazomanie. Was just recognized in a national magazine for being one of the coolest small towns in America. It has lots of art, culture etc. Sorry I couldn't help you with MP.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,901 times
Default Places to eat in Mineral Point

Hi ModCottage
There are many nice places to eat in Mineral Point. I recommend The Walker House, Cafe Four for pizza, The Old Royal Inn, Brewery Creek (their homemade beer is really good), or Gundry and Gray. Many of these restaurants have websites, some even feature their menus. The Old Royal Inn often has good live music. The Red Rooster is on High Street and features pasties, a Cornish traditional meal.
If you're in town for the fall art tour this month you will have a very fun visit.
Mazomanie is trying hard, and has really improved in the last several years, but Mineral Point is still a nicer place to spend a weekend.

Good luck!
A Mineral Point resident

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
Is the Walker House open for business? Ain't that place haunted as can be?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:00 AM

21 posts, read 100,738 times
It is open for businnes. Is it haunted? What 150 year old buildning isn't.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:28 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
The "rumor" was it was haunted. For a thrill in my high school days we'd go up to the building late at night & try to work up the courage to look inside the windows. I never saw anything, but others reported seeing dishes floating.
Just good small town fun.

The Walker House

Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM

18 posts, read 58,835 times
Default Mineral Point-still missing it

I lived in Mineral Point for about 5 years. I moved there because the town was what I had always envisioned as the perfect quaint town. In the winter it is like a Christmas postcard. Downtown is redone and has a variety of antique stores, bars, jewelry stores, to art galleries. I walked my dog at night and people were friendly. Great place to raise kids and tons of parks, trails (4 wheeler/walking trail comes right into town), historic mining places to visit, etc.. nearby. I moved to be near my husband's family and am now looking in TX. I find myself searching for the Mineral Point of TX as I still miss it. Land is still relatively cheap compared to some states. If you like rolling hills with big old oaks in the backround you will love it. Lots of big old fancy homes kept up beautifully as well.
For the bad: it is a small town so your business can be everyone else's too. "Real" shopping is about a 50 minute drive to Madison or Dubuque. You can find some varied stores around, but if you want to find a mall, etc.. you have to drive. Not a ton of higher wage jobs in Mineral Point or in nearby. Most people drive somewhere else to work. Property taxes are high compared to some states.
I would move back in a heartbeat. Some of my fondest memories surround that town and its aura. Hope you get a chance to experience it. New Glarus is a similiar type town that is closer to Madison/jobs if you need other suggestions. Love that town too and very similiar.

PS You may want to drive up and see the House On The Rock while you are nearby. Something you will never forget.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 AM

33 posts, read 202,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Is the Walker House open for business? Ain't that place haunted as can be?
The Walker House - Mineral Point, Wisconsin

I guess you'll have to visit the place to make up your own mind whether or not it's haunted. Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you it is, but not in a bad way.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:57 PM

9 posts, read 21,673 times
Default Relocating to WI - need communting info from Mineral Point

Hi. I am relocating to WI for my job which will be located in Cross Plains. From my research online and some of the available apartments I have seen, I have fallen in love with Mineral Point.

Can someone please tell me how far the commute to Cross Plains is, how are the highways getting in there, especially during the winter months and will I have any problems with unplowed/salted highway 151 in the winter?

Thanks and I really appreciate your help with this.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM

18 posts, read 58,835 times
Looks like it is about 41 miles give or take from town to town. Normally 151/18 is pretty good to drive as long as it isn't snowy or foggy. It has cross traffic on it that has made for alot of accidents in those conditions otherwise you can speed right along on it and no traffic jams. What determines any variation in normal travel time will be the fastest route you find from 18/151 up to Cross Plains. Few different ways, but have to find which would be the quickest for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin