Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: GreenBay/Fox Cites Sub-Forum?
Yes 30 75.00%
No 10 25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

With the two metro areas of GreenBay and the Fox Cities population totaling close to 700,000, does this area need its own sub-forum in Wisconsin Form?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiscons...tistical_areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
I don't know if the Sr.Mods would allow for this to take place.

I'll see how many votes we get and then maybe get a hold of someone and see where it goes.

I'll sticky this for now.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I'll see how many votes we get and then maybe get a hold of someone and see where it goes.
True, good Idea.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Seems like there are alot of Appleton, Green Bay, Oshkosh questions so it might be a good idea. I'm always telling people do a search first as there are repeat questions.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
It seems like it might be a difficult decision for the Sr. Mods. I think there is more than enough traffic for their own sub-forum, but where do you draw the invisable lines? Obviously, Green Bay, Appleton, and Oshkosh, but what about the surrounding communities?

Then, how many threads will be left once you suction the Fox Valley into it's own forum?

Anyhow, I voted yes, because I think it will be easier to use the Wisconsin forum. It seems like questions regarding the outer-lying regions of Wisconsin (you know, that other 2/3rds...) get over shadowed sometimes by all the other thread traffic. When you combine that with less people being able to respond to those questions, sometimes people don't get answers (or very many) they need.

Meanwhile, the same questions regarding the Fox Valley come up over and over. New people may not realize you can search the entire forum, so having a seperate Fox Valley forum may make people look through old threads a bit more before starting a new one.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I'm not a mod for this forum, but I do have some insight into how the decisions to create new sub-forums are made. The decision is solely based on the number of threads about an area and the participation within those threads. It might help if you would list the names of the Fox Cities, as that will help the Administrator know which threads to count.

Poll results won't tip the scale, although this poll thread is one more thread discussing the area.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
It might help if you would list the names of the Fox Cities, as that will help the Administrator know which threads to count.

Citites that are considered or should be put in the greenbay/foxcities sub-forum:

Green Bay
De Pere
Shawano
Door County
Appleton
Menasha
Kimberely
Little Chute
Kaukauna
Neenah
Oshkosh
Winneconnie
Fond du lac
ashwabenon
howard
bellevue

Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
I disagree with Shawano (too far away and has different concerns than the rest of the Fox Valley) and with Door County (a whole realm unto itself ). But the rest of the list looks good.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
In my opinion a Northeast Wisconsin forum would work better than trying to define a specific boundary.

The Fox Cities include Appleton, Menasha, Neenah, Kaukauna, Vanden Broek, Buchanan, Clayton, Freedom, Grand Chute, Greenville, Harrison, Combined Locks, Hortonville, Kimberly, Little Chute, Winchester, and Sherwood.

The Green Bay metropolitan area includes Green Bay, Ashwaubenon, De Pere, Algoma, Allouez, Bellevue, Casco, Denmark, Hobart, Howard, Lena, Luxemburg, Pulaski, Suamico, Suring, Wrightstown, Gillett, Kewaunee, Oconto Falls, and Oconto.

Other municipalities to include in the Northeast Wisconsin forum would be Oshkosh, Clintonville, Seymour, Black Creek, New London, Sturgeon Bay, Fremont, Waupaca, Omro, Ripon, Chilton, New Holstein, Winneconne, Weyauwega, Kewaunee, Brillion, Chilton, and Hilbert.

Other sub-forums to consider would be Eau Claire, Racine/Kenosha, La Crosse, Marinette/Menominee, Wausau, Stevens Point/Wisconsin Rapids, Sheboygan, Two Rivers/Manitowoc, and Fond Du Lac.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
1. The CD Forums prefer only a total of two sticky's per general forum, thus, (sorry Josh!) I am going to un-sticky this. We currently have four, which is way too many per CD Forum guidelines.

2. No, the GB / Fox Cities should not have a separate forum in my opinion. There is a Pandora's Box that the CD Forum in general tries not to open by creating way, way too many subforums per each particular state. While some states have tons of subforums, they typically are states with larger populations (I realize that there are a few exceptions).

Wisconsin - a population of only 5 million - already has a Milwaukee subforum (metro population of 1.5 million) and a Madison subforum (metro of what, 500K?). That is nearly half the state already.

I think we are fine as we are. This would ultimately be the Administrator's decision, however of course. This is just my personal vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin