Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:13 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheWaves View Post
i use to live in Wisconsin AND I HATED IT!

Ohio is so much better.

but Wisconsin does have better cheese and much more wilderness but besides that, that's basically it
I used to live in Ohio. Columbus was a fine city, but the state overall wasn't any great shakes.

In general, Wisconsin is much more to my liking--better culture, better nature, better everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 03:15 AM

63 posts, read 63,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I used to live in Ohio. Columbus was a fine city, but the state overall wasn't any great shakes.

In general, Wisconsin is much more to my liking--better culture, better nature, better everything.
it's a matter of opinion really

I grew up in Brookfield Wisconsin right across the street from Elm grove and 6 or 7 miles away from Milwaukee.

I really just hate wisconsin because so much bad stuff happened to me there because it's where i spent most of my life.

I love Ohio because i barely spent any time there any all i have there are happy memories from the times I been there. Also the song "whereever you go" by the calling always made me think of Ohio

♫ Ohio, Ohio, Ohio, Wherever you go ♫

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2xeaGFi2q0

Old 03-30-2019, 07:46 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,874 times
Depending on what you value, in my case Wisconsin hands down. Natural beauty, excellent cheese, more attractive women, a fairly pervasive moral culture once you get outside Madison, clean air, excellent food, in many areas a very literate culture. There is always something to do in WI. Worked in Columbus and Cincinnati for couple of years...good gosh, chocolate in your chili; well at least it was unique. I drive through Ohio frequently for genealogy reasons. I see Ohio as having a plastic sports culture in the cities and a sort of toothless Goober/Deliverance culture out it the sticks. I appreciate the fact my ancestors left there. I wish they would have stayed in Indiana, Wisconsin, or Missouri over Illinois though.

But really it depend son what you value. I know many people who like Ohio; why eludes me.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 03-30-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,874 times
Oh good grief,this thread is ancient. When it started Ohio might not have sucked - LOL!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:41 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Ohio.

It is closer to the East Coast, the original head of the US media machine, and therefore is more on their radar screen than is some place that many (esp. in the South) believe is in Canada.
Also, as previously stated, it has more people (and thus more electoral votes and political power) HAD more industry and is 2nd (after Virginia) as a producer of US Presidents.

Meanwhile, we have great schools, are cheese producers extrodinaire, and can really hold our beer and brandy.
LOL, second after Virginia in U.S. Presidents. Like wasn't all that pre-20th century history? I think only one Virginia native, Wilson, became President since 1899 from either state. I think since then,Texas, NY, California have two or three. Texas has technically two with Johnson and Eisenhauer but the Bush, though born in New England got elected because they moved to Texas in the 1940s. Eisenhauer really is a Kansan as his family only lived in Texas for a few years looking for work before returning to Abilene KS. I

Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 AM

33 posts, read 75,281 times
Eisenhauer? Wow!

Old 04-01-2019, 06:15 PM

170 posts, read 176,573 times
Wisconsin. Wisconsin has:

1. The most beautiful state capitol building in the country
2. Miller Park - MLBs tailgating mecca and winner of ESPNs battle of the ballparks
3. Fiserv Forum - Shiny new NBA arena. The best in the world according to the Milwaukee Bucks president.
4. Lambeau Field - The #1 NFL football stadium according to USA Today
5. Madison - The Best College Sports Town in USA according to USA Today and ESPN
6. Great Golf - The #3 golf state in USA according to Golf Advisor
7. More sunshine (54% vs 50%) and less rain (33" vs 39")
8. Road America - The best road race course in North America and possibly the world (4 miles, 14 corners)
9. Summerfest - The biggest music festival in the World (11 Days, 11 Stages)
10. EAA Air Adventure in Oshkosh - The biggest air show in the World
11. More ski areas and resorts (38 vs 6)
12. The Great River Road Scenic Byway - Voted the "Prettiest Drive in America" per the Huffington Post
13. Wisconsin Dells - The Waterpark Capital of the World
14. Lake Michigan - An ocean like view
15. More lakes (15,074 vs 5,130)
16. A Higher Quality of Life according to U.S. News (3rd vs 40th)
17. A Lower Pollution Health Risk (0.6 vs 1.9)
18. A Lower Homicide Rate (3.2 vs 6.1 per 100,000)
19. A Lower Unemployment Rate (2.9% vs 4.6%)
20. A beautiful riverfront and lakefront in Milwaukee with boat tours
21. Chicago in it's backyard
22. Great Cheese Curds, Friday Fish Fries, Real Custard
23. The Bronz Fonz
24. Brewery Tours with free samples
25. Milwaukee Art Museum
26. Harley-Davidson Museum

Old 04-02-2019, 09:46 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post

Pretty much my take. Columbus is cool. Cleveland is alright, good music scene, but overall? Wisconsin all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
3. Fiserv Forum - Shiny new NBA arena. The best in the world according to the Milwaukee Bucks president.

LOL, yeah.

And did they rebuild Miller Park since I moved away? It was a leaky, uncomfortable outdated mess when it opened while I lived there.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:08 AM

170 posts, read 176,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Pretty much my take. Columbus is cool. Cleveland is alright, good music scene, but overall? Wisconsin all the way.

LOL, yeah.

And did they rebuild Miller Park since I moved away? It was a leaky, uncomfortable outdated mess when it opened while I lived there.
No it doesn't leak. They keep improving it every year. The roof (which is closed for almost half the games) brings in an extra 1,000,000 people per year. It's 30 degrees warmer inside in April, 20 degrees warmer inside in May and 10 degrees warmer inside in June.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sta...ble-asset.html

At the end of the 2006 season, the roof's bogie system was replaced with a much better one. In 2009, Miller Park's outfield was replaced with "Lo-Mo" Kentucky bluegrass. Also for the 2009 season, the Harley-Davidson Deck was opened on the field level of the stadium in left-center field. During the off-season between 2010 and 2011, the stadium's original centerfield scoreboard (a smaller videoboard atop a larger black and amber message display board) was replaced by a full length and full color Daktronics 1080p high definition display board. The sound system was upgraded too. For 2017 the Bewers and Delaware North spent $18 million overhauling Miller Park’s food and beverage options and replacing several concession stands.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2016/10/0...-improvements/

The place is wildly successful.

From the year Miller Park opened in 2001, the Brewers have averaged 31,783 fans per game, or 2,574,423 per season, while placing 11th out of 30 franchises in total attendance, despite having the smallest market size of any Major League city.

The Brewers have attracted at least two-million fans for fifteen consecutive years, the twelfth longest in Major League history. Prior to Miller Park, the previous such consecutive streak in Milwaukee baseball history was four years, from 1954 to 1957.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvC2QUFGP14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cabcdsCYtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3iu...arryl+Hamilton

Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Glad they improved it. It was a massive disappointment when it opened. I remember seeing it leak while in the stands and our laughing our asses off. And when it started leaking like a sieve during the home run derby, it was an national embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin